HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:48 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

This is the best "$100 million project".

It's not enough money for that project

Last edited by realcity; Apr 7, 2011 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hammer'd

I have no faith in this happening for several reasons, the biggest of which is Darko Vranich.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:22 PM

I think a more realistic rendering would look something like this:

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:16 PM

http://www.thespec.com/news/business...n-for-downtown

Quote:
Work on a $100 million project[...] is expected to start as early as June.
Translation: could also start as late as NEVER

Quote:
The project, conceived by developer Darko Vranich [...]
AKA Hamilton's premier vacant building holder and parking lot developer

Quote:
“Darko is putting his money where his mouth is for this project,” said downtown councillor Jason Farr.[...]
Translation: Darko put money in my mouth for my campaign. THANKS DARKO!

Quote:
[...] starting with a 134-room extended stay hotel [...] Start dates for the other towers, which could run as high as 20 storeys, haven’t been set yet.
Translation: Development will start with a low rise, sprawl-style hotel surrounded by parking. Development will ONLY start if Darko is allowed to tear the federal building down. Oh and by the time phase one is done, there will be no money left for the towers. But the parking lots will stay.

Quote:
“Everyone is excited about this project,” Farr said. “It is massive good news for the downtown.”
Translation: If I act excited and use exciting-sounding words, maybe a few people might get excited and fool some other people into being excited.

Quote:
Vranich has been talking about some kind of development for the area since 2004 when he bought the former federal building at Caroline and Main streets
Talking and not doing...

Quote:
Now, a spokesman for his company said a new “development friendly” attitude at city hall has made it the right time to move ahead.
Translation: a new "Darko Friendly" mayor and ward councillor have arrived at city hall

Quote:
The first building to be raised will house about 3,000 square feet of retail space designed to “compliment and enhance the feel of Hess Village,” McDiarmid said.
3000 square feet? For a scale comparison, the average shoppers drug mart is 8600 sq ft - this is not going to change downtown.

Quote:
“The downtown core is the heart of the city. We feel there is no other location that would support a development of this size,” McDiarmid wrote. “In addition the city offers many incentives for downtown development that will help offset the $22 million cost of this hotel.”
Translation: We got cheap land, and the taxpayers will help us build more parking than we could ever afford in any other part of the city.

Quote:
so far only “consultation” documents have been filed with the city.
Translation: This is so far nothing more than a PR move.

Quote:
Financing for the project is also still to be worked out.
This line speaks louder than any other in the entire article.

This guy and this plan are a joke. Let's just hope everyone doesn't get taken in.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:02 PM

I just noticed that 9 out of 10 threads in the recents are actually about buildings or developments that might get done.

Well not this one. It's smoke and mirrors, the whole lot of it. $100 million development my ass. 600 condo units when they couldn't move on 180 in an existing building. 3 hotels where they couldn't start digging for one that was planned. Does anyone believe one word of this crap?

And what in the hell does this have to do with a stadium being located in Hamilton?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Darko is putting his money where his mouth is for this project,” said downtown councillor Jason Farr. “This spring is what they are shooting for to get shovels in the ground.
No he's not, he's putting his mouth where his mouth is. There may be $30,000 spent on permits and applications, but he will make that back in taxes and insurance when his total building space drops to zero square feet. This is about the demolition of the Federal building, and nothing else. Nothing but *maybe* a shit-box hotel with it's back to Main Street.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:00 PM

Farr has taken over Bratina's role as the Vrancor puppy with complete earnestness I see.

Could the city issue a demolition permit for the federal building with a clause that if something new isn't on there within x months a penalty kicks in? No more empty promises.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
Could the city issue a demolition permit for the federal building with a clause that if something new isn't on there within x months a penalty kicks in? No more empty promises.
That's already the case. There's no enforcement, that's the problem.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
Could the city issue a demolition permit for the federal building with a clause that if something new isn't on there within x months a penalty kicks in?
I'm not sure if there are any clauses, but they already did issue a demolition permit.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:20 PM

I do not hold out much hope for this announcement given the extensive delays thus far, but I will hold off for a few months to see if anything materializes from this before I jump on the 'dump on Darko' bandwagon. The eternal optimist in me can't help but think of the shot in the arm a development like this would be for the core, which leaves me secretly rooting for success in this redevelopment. Particularly if it coincides with the successful revival of the downtown Medical Centre at Main and Bay and Stinson's Hamilton Grand at Main and John. Indulge me as I momentarily slip into full Pollyanna mode, imagining how great it would be to see construction cranes dotting the skyline along Main from Hess to John.

Now, back to reality. The most certain element is the construction of the new Staybridge Suites hotel. From what I can make out, the planned site for the hotel is the northwest corner of George and Caroline, so it will neither front nor back onto Main Street. It can also go up almost immediately upon approval, given the current state of that site, and its proposed location means construction is not contingent on the demolition of the Federal building.

Also, for the record, I checked the financial statements submitted for the 2010 election and Darko Vranich is not listed as a donor to Jason Farr's campaign as was erroneously implied by another poster earlier in this thread.

Last edited by markbarbera; Apr 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://twitter.com/#!/Councillor_Farr

Breaking News: Vrancor will restore parts of the west end of Federal Building (Caroline & Main), keeping the Holbrook sculptures in place.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:08 PM

hmm. I wonder what 'part' means. I hope it doesn't just mean those stupid friezes. If on the other hand it means some form of reuse then this is great news.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
You can see the old Federal building has been chopped in half. Vancor will keep the Caroline/Main intersection of the building.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:09 PM

^^ That is so wack it's not even funny!

I understand the one pkng lot is not owned by him, but WHY in the WORLD would you build your condo towers so that the East tower's east units windows will be eventually blocked! Stupidest mistake ever.. just proof (IMO) that he's not serious about this project or that would have been considered/corrected!
edit: ALSO, the George St Tower (or hotel?)'s south-facing windows will also be blocked once something is built in that lot! HAHAHA Jokes.. Vranich!

Dear Dark Vranich:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/06/...ogressing-well

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:20 PM

Save the former Federal Bldg

ps: I've emailed all of Council and the Mayor (like that matters) begging them to not allow a Demo Permit of ANY magnitude (you just know w/ Vranic's track record something will 'go wrong' w/ the partial demo, resulting in a full demo).

I encourage everyone else to do so as well! You can copy & paste all the email addys in one shot thru:

http://raisethehammer.org/council

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:28 PM
Concerned Citizen

Just pull that dump down, never mind saving any of it. Let him build the condo towers he is proposing for the site. They would add much more to the skyline of this city than restoring what will still be an eyesore. It's an ugly building, it's time for it to go.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Just pull that dump down, never mind saving any of it. Let him build the condo towers he is proposing for the site. They would add much more to the skyline of this city than restoring what will still be an eyesore. It's an ugly building, it's time for it to go.
Bratina? Is that you? How do you really feel about the south side of King St between James & John? lol

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:46 PM

Anyone who has followed the posts that bigguy1231 makes here knows that he most definitely is not Bratina... I don't think he'll thank you for the comparison.

Bigguy and I don't always see eye to eye, but I think we are in agreement that the former Fed building has little architectural significance outside of the friezes.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Bigguy and I don't always see eye to eye, but I think we are in agreement that the former Fed building has little architectural significance outside of the friezes.
I Agree. We should not waste trying to save it. Just the friezes.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 8:03 PM

The architectural significance in this case is the damage to the urban fabric this would cause. Yes it's an eyesore on a major thoroughfare, but it's demolition would result in a gigantic empty lot. It will really change the look of the city for the worse in my opinion.

The real problem here is that it will not be replaced for many years, if ever. If somebody were actually going to build something here, I wouldn't care if it were demolished. I don't care about the friezes either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton