HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 4:24 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Well, they do have their own mounted patrol, as any respectable anchor city should:

Source: Chron

Last edited by deja vu; Dec 19, 2017 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I think it's safe to say that commieblock, tower-in-park-sprawl is much worse than regular detached home sprawl.
From what perspective? Maybe visually if you prefer the tree cover of a more mature detached SFH neighbourhood. Every building in that picture of North York though is within walking distance of a subway station that connects them to Downtown Toronto. Very possible to live the 9-5 grind there without a car if you don't leave the city much.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
The Woodlands is considered an anchor city of the MSA, which is just absurd. It'd be like Hempstead being considered an anchor city of NYC or Glendale for LA.
Why? So are Galveston and Baytown...and they are both smaller. Houston has no other city in it's metro that comes even remotely close to it's size. Pasadena is second largest city in metro and it's only around 150k.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Why? So are Galveston and Baytown...and they are both smaller. Houston has no other city in it's metro that comes even remotely close to it's size. Pasadena is second largest city in metro and it's only around 150k.
I wondered about that, too. It's clearly an important part of the metro and it's definitely a notable city, including a nice developing skyline. The population was about 110,000 in 2015 so should be larger now.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Which is why it's a joke that any other city is considered an anchor city. Galveston as an anchor makes sense because it is the hub of its own mini-metro area but they shouldn't be putting out-and-out suburbs on the same line as Houston. Baytown, are you kidding me?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
^ Well, they do have their own mounted patrol, as any respectable anchor city should:

Source: Chron
When did The Woodlands get annexed by Canada?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:06 AM

Deleted.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Dec 22, 2017 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:19 PM

Can we consider Milton Keynes to be a suburb of London for purposes of this thread?

It's in the commuter belt, and deserves a special shout out for its awfulness.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 7:13 PM

Is Milton Keynes the one that's mostly premier league footballers driving Bentleys and Range Rovers?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Is Milton Keynes the one that's mostly premier league footballers driving Bentleys and Range Rovers?
I can't imagine why anyone with any money would want to live there but perhaps.

This is the center city:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes

For a laugh... they actually did bid to be European Capital of Culture for a year:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/a...20171123139688
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 8:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ holy crap, that's almost Schaumburg bad.

I had no idea Europe had such awfulness.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 8:55 PM

Though Milton Keynes is not really like a Schaumburg. It's a planned postwar New Town, like Columbia, MD or Reston, VA. Crap but planned crap.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ holy crap, that's almost Schaumburg bad.

I had no idea Europe had such awfulness.
Milton Keynes is like that hack Le Corbusier's wet dream. Planned city from the 1960s.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I can't imagine why anyone with any money would want to live there but perhaps.

This is the center city:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes

For a laugh... they actually did bid to be European Capital of Culture for a year:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/a...20171123139688

I wonder if anyone important lives, or ever lived there. But that's just me.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 11:35 PM

It's probably not the worst, but Cape Coral, Florida really gives me the creeps. It's just endless spawl of boring suburban houses and strip malls. What's worse about it is that half the city just isn't fully developed meaning that you get streets like this and this. And this is a typical street scene in Cape Coral.

Florida has some really REALLY terrible suburbs, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's worse ones than Cape Coral in the state.

Cape Coral from above:

And as for The Woodlands, it is not anywhere near the worst suburb. At least there's trees and generally a decent variety in home designs. And though it is by no means urban, it appears that some areas of the city are at least giving it a try, which is more than I can say about most suburbs. For example:

^ This area at least feels kind of urban. Granted it feels like more of a lifestyle center than a city, but it's something.... But my biggest gripe is: If they are putting the effort in to make a downtown type area (in the photo) why the hell is it so disconnected from the Market Street lifestyle center? If you connected the two you could possibly argue that its an urban area. But instead there's a four lane boulevard and surface parking in between them.... And they could have done the same to connect it to the mall, but they put two boring suburban office buildings in between - if they had first floor retail on those, it would work so well.

Last edited by Dblcut3; Dec 31, 2017 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
having driven across the country some three dozen times, I find the area stretching from Akron towards Cleveland one of the most most depressing and soul sucking old decaying suburbia in America.

When is the last time you drove it? The area with Montgomery Ward has been a outdoor "lifestyle center" for years now.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
I wonder if anyone important lives, or ever lived there. But that's just me.
Computer pioneer Alan Turing lived there during WWII, that was before it was a new town though, it was just a collection of villages then before the gaps were filled during the 60s and 70s

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I very much doubt that!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblcut3 View Post
Florida has some really REALLY terrible suburbs, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's worse ones than Cape Coral in the state.

Cape Coral from above:

From this picture Cape Coral doesn't look too bad. The canals are an asset.

Once you zoom in and take a stroll on street view, the extreme low density sprawl is strange. It's like it never met it's full potential or something. A master-planned city that did not attract the amount of people it envisioned or something along those lines.

Maybe in the future it will fill in as Florida becomes more and more crowded.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

My ex lives in Cape Coral. Simply based on that...it is terrible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions