HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:05 PM

Whitecaps FC will be playing the Sunday afternoon of the reopening weekend at BC Place. The MLS Schedule was announced today -finally- and WFC will play Portland 2 October at 1.30pm.

Some other important contests fans will probably want to see:

Saturday 19 March (15.30) v Toronto FC First league game for WFC at Empire Stadium.

Saturday 28 May (16.00) v New York (Thierry Henry in town! As a Gooner this is a big day for me!). Empire Stadium.

Saturday 30 July (16.30) v Los Angeles (Beckham, in which will be probably be his last MLS visit here before switching back to play in England to finish his career). Empire Stadium.

Saturday 24 Sept (16.30) v Seattle (Finally we get the chance to meet our old foe and trounce the scumbags!). Empire Stadium.

Sunday 2 Oct (13.30) v Portland (Our other Cascadia Cup opponent will be trounced as well). BC Place.

**Full schedule minus international friendlies and Canadian Championship ties, which they will probably have to fit in on Wednesdays between 10 April - 7 May somehow.

http://whitecapsfc.com/2011-schedule

Last edited by Overground; Feb 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 10:11 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Team 1040 also announced today that they will be the radio broadcaster for every Whitecaps game during the first 2 seasons, and will also have a new M-F program dedicated to them.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Team 1040 also announced today that they will be the radio broadcaster for every Whitecaps game during the first 2 seasons, and will also have a new M-F program dedicated to them.
I heard TSN is picking up the MLS in Canada. Does anybody know how many games will be broadcast? HD I would expect?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
victory in near

it looks like the vast majority of the games are either late Saturday afternoon or Wednesday evening. (only 2 games on a sunday)

perfect!!!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 11:35 PM
victory in near

its too bad the first game back at BC place is not Seattle.

it would be something to have the first game twice at BC place vs. seattle.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post

Dumb decision to have their game at Empire and not BC Place.

It's bound to draw the most fans, and can pack well in excess of the 20,000 seat Empire.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:19 AM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Actually it is TEAM1410 that has picked up the rights, also known as the station that does Lions games after the hockey season starts. Same owners though.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:20 AM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I heard TSN is picking up the MLS in Canada. Does anybody know how many games will be broadcast? HD I would expect?

mmmmmm... HD soccer

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:40 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Dumb decision to have their game at Empire and not BC Place.

It's bound to draw the most fans, and can pack well in excess of the 20,000 seat Empire.
I thought Empire had a capacity more like 27,000. That's still pretty impressive.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:42 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post

I was at the first, way back in 83.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
All the TSN channels (TSN, TSN 2, TSN Pacific...) have an HD version. As long as you have your TV package setup for it, you should be ok.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 1:11 AM
Vancouverite

TSN will do well in developing the game, they've really turned around the tv audience for WJ hockey and CFL.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 1:24 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post

I thought Empire had a capacity more like 27,000.
It has a capacity of approximately 27,500.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
TSN will do well in developing the game, they've really turned around the tv audience for WJ hockey and CFL.
One would hope that they will, though they'll have to overcome a lot of soccer-hate from their own staff and on-air personalities. I suppose the more rigid anti-soccer types at TSN will be told in no uncertain terms by their bosses that they now have a financial incentive to make soccer as popular as possible in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:24 AM

I don't have much faith in TSN. Will they give more than 2 minute highlights at the end of 28 minutes of hockey and American sport being shoved down our throats? Hopefully they realise that MLS and soccer in general is not the NHL and CFL and the fanbase of it expects something more than what it currently serves up.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
I don't have much faith in TSN. Will they give more than 2 minute highlights at the end of 28 minutes of hockey and American sport being shoved down our throats? Hopefully they realise that MLS and soccer in general is not the NHL and CFL and the fanbase of it expects something more than what it currently serves up.
What exactly are you implying? TSN does great broadcasts of the NHL and CFL. I give them a good chunk of credit for the new interest in the CFL. They have been broadcasting it in HD for years and they put together a great production.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 7:45 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
What exactly are you implying? TSN does great broadcasts of the NHL and CFL. I give them a good chunk of credit for the new interest in the CFL. They have been broadcasting it in HD for years and they put together a great production.
This, thats why I brought it up.

The World Juniors and CFL is now more watched compared to when it was on the CBC

Not to mention if TSN gets soccer, they'll shove it down everyone's throats

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure you got what I wrote. TSN thus far has done a crap job at soccer compared to others, so I'm pessimistic they will do much better. There is plenty of people at TSN that don't like the sport and have shown that. NHL and CFL as of late take precedence(and yes a great job) and that is the fear amongst soccer's fanbase that it will continue. We don't want the usual coverage of a a couple minutes at the end of Sportcentre showing highlights. We want what the Score does and have a multi-platform approach to soccer coverage, meaning increased tv and web. Soccer is not like the CFL and NHL fanbase, it's a different animal and how it likes access to the sport is different from what TSN has previously shown. It's in TSN's best interest to tap into soccer culture. Hopefully they'll do that.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 9:35 PM
Mac User

I'm not sure if this question has ever been asked before. Does anyone know what sort caliber league MLS is equivalent to? Is MLS more like the UK's League 2 or Football League Championship? I was looking into English stadiums and as far as facility size comparisons go MLS is more like Football League Championship but what about the quality of players? Reading F.C's Madejski Stadium looks very similar to empire field, but has slightly less seats.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:05 AM

That question is asked a lot on MLS boards. For facilities definitely the clubs that have consistent success in recent times in the Championship or make appearances in the Premiership; Hull(KC Stadium), Reading(Madejski), Leicester(Walkers).

As for quality of players on average, I'd say mid to lower table Championship. The best club in MLS, barring injuries, could hold their own I think near the top part of the Championship.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation