HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 8:02 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Boise ~ A City of Eden: A Photographic Extravaganza

Instead of creating a thread of various pics from the past year, like a best of 2008 set, I decided to create a thread which includes photos I have taken this past year as well as photos from previous years. Some of these may look familier from past threads while there are some I do not think I have posted here at SSP.
I guess I could say this thread is my tribute to the city I live in, the city I love, and the city and abundant natural surroundings that inspire me.
I have heard it said that when it comes to the outdoors; mountains, rivers, forests and deserts and of course mountain biking, and solitude, that there is more around Boise than almost anywhere else because you can leave the city and find a place to be all by yourself. Regardless of how fast this city is growing there is always somewhere to escape.
I love nature and the serenity that can be found right in Boise, so close to downtown, and I have also included photos of outdoor recreational areas right outside of the city such as the Boise Mountains and the Lucky Peak area further into the thread.

All of the pictures were taken in the downtown area and parks, and along the Boise River Greenbelt except for where I have noted the Boise Mountains and Lucky Peak. There are also some pics I have taken from way up on 8th Street at Upper Hulls Gulch looking down into the valley and others taken less than a mile from the Statehouse at the base of the Boise Foothills in Military Reserve.

So here it is, Enjoy!

I have also posted this in the main city photo forum, here is the link.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=163144

Floating the Boise River- this area is the downtown stretch.

9th Street at the River, downtown.

8th Street. I was almost at the top of the Boise Ridge and of course my camera was on mega zoom to get the pic of the mountain biker and downtown.

Back downtown at the parks and river.

Lucky Peak area which starts a few miles outside of city limits.

This is the same area of the canyon as above.

Early Summer in the gulches of the Boise Foothills, popular for hiking, mountain biking, wildlife watching, wildflower spotting. This area is in Military Reserve along Cottonwood Creek.

Kathryn Albertson Park, downtown area.

Spring run off from snow melting in the mountains, Boise River, in and near downtown.

The top of the Boise Mountains above the city. I lost my better photos of this area but these pics are ok I guess.

This photo is of the backside of Bogus Basin ski mountain.

A few peeks at Boise's backyard looking into the Boise National Forest, one of the largest in the nation.

Back down in the city.

Boise River at Capitol Boulevard

See you next time!
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Jan 5, 2009 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 2:08 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

GORGEOUS, Sawtooth!

Boise is definitely underrated. I had no idea it was so pretty up there!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 2:36 AM

Great pictures!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:54 PM

Wow, variety, variety, variety.
Awesome pictures of our beautiful city
Boise is supposed to be a secret though...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:24 PM

Great shots, I'd love to make it up there sometime this year and check things out!!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:55 PM

You should work for the Chamber of Commerce. Nice photos. I have not spent much time in Boise and have never really thought much about it, but your pictures are changing my impression of the place.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:31 PM

This is some beautiful photography of a pretty little city in a beautiful area, Sawtooth.

My following response is to address some discussion which has been taking place on this forum, not specifically this thread.

I realize that here in the Salt Lake Valley & Utah that there are several people who cannot comprehend what Boise has to offer, unless they have lived in or visited Boise, and that Boise has assets and attributes which Salt Lake can look to and learn from as we strive to become a more people oriented city as Boise already is. I am pretty sure that the reason why many people in Utah poke fun of Boise and Idaho is because Utah is always trying to deal with and combat an extreme negative image of our own state, Utah, from so many outsiders. So many of my statesmen channel these insecurities of our own states image into knocking down other nearby states and cities. I have grown up in this atmosphere and I have always tried to go against the grain so to speak.

The reality is that when business associates or friends I know travel to and visit Boise on business or family matters or recreation, will always come back to Utah amazed and enlightened and realize that Boise is a great place.

My mother is originally from Boise and I had the opportunity to leave my home state, Utah's boundaries, while growing up and always knew Boise had something special going on.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 1:28 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

A few who post regularly here in the Mountain West subforum of SSP really take the cake.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
You should work for the Chamber of Commerce.
I was thinking the same thing. This photo thread just caused me to kill 90 minutes researching Boise. I really want to visit this city....just need an excuse.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 4:37 PM

I did not notice this picture the first time I looked at this thread....pretty interesting. I have heard of Lake Idaho and it must be the reason we have the flowing foothills..maybe?
btw, Sawtooth, this beautiful thread is amassing a lot of great comments over in the city forum.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:31 PM

Great thread! I love coming to this site and seeing picture threads of Boise!
I love how Boise is au natural and near so much beautiful wilderness and natural resources.
Thanks for the treat!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Nice photos!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 1:25 AM

Yeah Boise kicks ass. Whenever I hear people poking fun at Boise (which is often) I ask them if they've ever been there and guess what- they haven't! Seriously- the ignorant don't deserve to discover what a cool city you have up there- so quit advertising . Hey I once went to the 'River Festival' or something like that. It was like a night parade of lighted boats on the river. Coolest thing ever! but do yall still do that up there? I heard its not like that anymore.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 1:30 AM

I lived in Boise for a little over a year. It was adequate enough.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Yeah Boise kicks ass. Whenever I hear people poking fun at Boise (which is often) I ask them if they've ever been there and guess what- they haven't! Seriously- the ignorant don't deserve to discover what a cool city you have up there- so quit advertising . Hey I once went to the 'River Festival' or something like that. It was like a night parade of lighted boats on the river. Coolest thing ever! but do yall still do that up there? I heard its not like that anymore.
That festival went bankrupt a few years ago. I think someone should bring it back or perhaps more of a music festival type thing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 7:33 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Boise is a hidden gem for sure.

The Boise River Festival is no more and a lot of people are glad it is a thing of the past. The floats on the river were eventually moved to Capitol Boulevard because the fragile river banks were being trampled by spectators and the current on the Boise River would cause floats to run into each other.
I think it was about 2 or 3 years ago the Festival ended, but there are so many other festivals that take place in Boise parks from Spring to Autumn that they make the River Fest a mere memory. There is usually something going on in either Ann Morrison or Julia Davis Parks and there is Art In The Park each September which is the largest arts event of its kind in the Northwest.
Downtown has an impressive amount of musical and artistic events going on during the warm months as well as year round. Boise has a great Northwest artistic, funky vibe.
I think BoDo has been trying to create a summer musical festival too.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 6:22 PM

The defunct River Fest was named the top family festival in America when it was still a yearly event. Boise has a ton of mountain biking events and bike racing events each year which attract the top cyclists from around the world but in addition to all of these yearly events the city should start a weekly summer Bike and Music bash since we are the mountain/racing bike capitol of the west. We have Boise Bike Week but another weekly bike party would always be welcome.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 7:59 PM

I just spent the last half hour scanning through this again to see pictures of the greenbelt, that gorgeous greenbelt. How many miles is it when considering both sides of the river? A friend of mine said it will be expanded through Eagle in the near future?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 8:32 PM
no its not...

Great looking ...up and coming city. Really enjoyed the photos.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 12:31 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

WOW. Boise is beautiful and looks to have a very cool downtown, very active, vibrant, growing and pedestrian friendly.

It's nice to be able to boast of such a kick ass neighbor to the north.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West