HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:35 AM
It's Hammer Time

Retail News

Since there seems to be a retail boom happening in Hamilton I figured I create a separate thread. JYSK basically a smaller version of IKEA.

JYSK to open new store in Stoney Creek - Hamilton, ON - February 9th 2008

HAMILTON, ON, Dec. 18 /CNW/ - JYSK Bed - Bath - Home - The Scandinavian retailer with over 1,300 locations worldwide, will open its first store in Stoney Creek, Ontario, on Saturday, February 9th 2008, at 8:00 AM.

The 23,000 square feet store will be located in the Parkway Plaza - 200 Centennial Pkwy. Other major retailers in this shopping plaza are Future Shop and Food Basics.

There are currently 9 JYSK stores in Ontario and a total of 35 JYSK locations across Canada. The first Canadian store opened 11 years ago in Port Coquitlam. Since then, the company expanded rapidly and now has a coast-to-coast presence from British Columbia to Nova Scotia. In addition to the "brick-and-mortar" stores, JYSK ships anywhere in Canada from its Online store at www.jysk.ca

"At JYSK, customers will find all the furnishings they need for their home; from mattresses to towels, including linen and curtains. Duvets and quilts are a JYSK trademark as we are one of the world's largest buyers of these products. In our furniture department, people will find a large selection of Scandinavian-style beds, tables, bookcases, seating, and dining sets. We also carry a great assortment of patio furniture and seasonal items for the spring and summer, and because we buy large volumes around the world, we can offer our customers the lowest prices possible." stated Pablo Reich, JYSK's Chief Operating Officer who says the retailer is excited to now be part of the Stoney Creek community.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 5:21 PM

I was looking at their web site. They list the store as being in Stoney Creek. That plaza is in Hamilton. Always was. Just like the Home Depot on Centennial is listed as Stoney Creek but is in Hamilton. Ever since amalgamation, Stoney Creeks border has been creeping westward. Even the Canadian Tire at Nash and Queenston Rd is listed as 686 Queenston Road, Stoney Creek. This has been Hamilton since the early 60’s and was Saltfleet Township before that.

Just a little thing that bugs me.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 5:57 PM
Closed account

yea, I'm not sure why they do that. Centennial Pkwy, north of Queenston is all in Hamilton's old boundary....the border shifts west to the corner of Queenston/Centennial, but no further.
Queenston west of Centennial is also Hamilton:

http://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/W...Councillor.pdf

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 7:46 PM

These retailers want to pretend they're in Stoney Creek lol. Hamilton is just so undesirable.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 1:19 AM
On Guard For Thee

The store in Windsor has survived now for a couple of years. The format is much smaller than Ikea obviously--they do sell unfinished furniture (I built and finished a hutch from there)--expect a store that is somewhat cluttered and has a blizzard of signage. Overall though they do run decent sales--and in addition to the usual offerings of furniture and linen they sell a lot of outdoor patio/bbq stuff for summer. Guessing they are occupying the late White Rose location?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 4:49 AM

They tore down the old White Rose store and the plaza. Only the grocery store, the Kelsey’s I believe and the Burger King where left. They built a new plaza behind the Kelsey’s and added to the grocery store a new building. Part of it is the Future Shop and next to it will be “JYSK Bed - Bath – Home”. It has a sign advertising its opening and looks like it will be a fairly large store.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 6:28 AM
On Guard For Thee

Thanks for the update LikeHamilton--I'd completely forgotten that Future Shop had moved there. That's a cool Kelsey's--nice building--I remember when it was St. Hubert.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:08 PM
Closed account

a friend who lives near Up. Gage and Stonechurch says rumour around there is that Starbucks is coming to the plaza at SW corner of that intersection.
I personally find that hard to believe considering there's nothing around there other than homes, but that's what he says the locals are all saying.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:32 PM
Closed account

There was a crappy gas stn there b4 and a Big Bear Variety. The owner of the property completely redid the site into a small strip-mall. Not the type Starbucks likes to locate in. and considering there isn't really any density in that area, or much more growth, I find it hard to believe.

There is a newer set of low-rise retirement condos on the N-E corner, so a Coffee Time or something along those lines is more likely... Starbucks seems to cater to younger, "hipper" crowds... not the geriatric ones that Coffee Time n Co prefer.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
There was a crappy gas stn there b4 and a Big Bear Variety. The owner of the property completely redid the site into a small strip-mall. Not the type Starbucks likes to locate in. and considering there isn't really any density in that area, or much more growth, I find it hard to believe.

There is a newer set of low-rise retirement condos on the N-E corner, so a Coffee Time or something along those lines is more likely... Starbucks seems to cater to younger, "hipper" crowds... not the geriatric ones that Coffee Time n Co prefer.

hmmm, "a younger, hipper crowd"??
So I wonder what I am?
Young AND geriatric?? lol

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 4:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
hmmm, "a younger, hipper crowd"??
So I wonder what I am?
Young AND geriatric?? lol
HAHAHA I think everyone's a lil bit of both!! I catch myself saying, "Kids these days..." every now-and-then, too :s hahaha

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:27 AM
Closed account

check this out...these guys just moved their US headquarters to Portland and are opening their first US store in downtown Portland:

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/index.html

SWEET eh?
H&M also just announced a new store in downtown Portland...I guess if they are just getting there now, I'll have to wait quite a while before they come downtown here.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 1:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
H&M also just announced a new store in downtown Portland...I guess if they are just getting there now, I'll have to wait quite a while before they come downtown here.
Not necessarily... H&M is a Euro store that is newer to the North American market (within the last couple of years). Some major malls don't even have a store, and most major malls didn't get one until very recently.
I don't know much about H&M's finances or whatnot, but from the looks of it, they're on some sort of a fairly big expansion process (into NA anyway).
So it may be sooner than later... if ECDEV can somehow manage to woo them into our market, it'd be great... ESPECIALLY if they carry their men's line in our downtown store! (I know I'd be there!)

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:44 PM
Closed account

me too....a full H&M store downtown right at King/James would do awesome....check out all the young people yesterday lining up for a bus ride to Limeridge and coming back down with bags...there's a huge student/young person population living downtown and is on the increase. EcDev should really go after these guys. It would only take a few new 'known' stores to start turning the tide downtown - H&M, Winners, HomeSense and maybe Indigo. To go along with already existing Le Chateau, Moda Classica, Urban Planet, Sirens...places that young people are always shopping in. I was surprised when walking by yesterday how jammed Jackson Square looked from the King/James entrance. and most people had bags. I wonder how sales were...I assumed it would be dead. Once London Tap and Williams open downtown people will be able to make an afternoon of it with shopping/dining/market/library/books etc.... we're getting close, but need a few major new stores to kickstart more momentum.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:44 PM
Closed account

by the way, does anyone know who the contact person is at EcDev to email about retail suggestions?? I'm assuming that Coalmine will know. I'd like to drop them a line.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:30 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

EcDev is getting a new staff.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 1:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Eastgate Mall owner hopes to fill The Bay's spot soon

February 12, 2008
Steve Arnold
The Hamilton Spectator

A well-loved department store name will disappear from Hamilton's east end by the end of March.

The Hudson's Bay Company has confirmed its store at Eastgate Square will close March 22, affecting more than 80 jobs and leaving only the chain's Lime Ridge Mall store.

Katherine Raso, senior manager of public and corporate communications for the chain, confirmed the decision yesterday, adding most employees will be relocated to other stores in the company.

"We're closing the Eastgate location March 22 -- it was a smaller location and the property was leased," she said in an e-mail.

"The company made a strategic decision to not renew the lease and felt that our customers would be best served through our other larger locations in the area."

In addition to The Bay, HBC also operates Zellers and Home Outfitters locations in this area.

"There are just over 80 associates at the Eastgate location and the company is doing its best to relocate associates to other Bay, Zellers and Home Outfitters locations," Raso said. "Prospects for relocation at this time look very good."

Losing The Bay will leave a major hole in Eastgate's landscape -- a hole the mall owner said it hopes to fill by the end of this month.

"We have a conditional arrangement with the Bay to surrender its lease by the end of next month and by the end of this month we should be in a position to announce a replacement tenant," said Don Burton, executive vice-president for retail of Redcliff Realty Management. "We're hopeful that things will come together by then."

As the Bay leaves one Redcliff property, Sears is looking for a new location for the store it will close sometime this year at Centre Mall, which is in the early stages of a $100-million redevelopment. Neither Burton nor a spokesperson for Sears, however, would confirm the chain will relocate to Eastgate.

"Nothing's done until it's done," Burton said. "Would we like the opportunity to get Sears at Eastgate? Yes. We're certainly hopeful."

A new retail name is also coming into the city -- electronics retailer Best Buy is in the early stages of opening a huge new store in the Meadowlands Power Centre in Ancaster. The project is expected to create up to 150 full- and part-time jobs during the off season, "and it will swell up dramatically around Christmas," said Geoff Stollery, senior real estate manager for Best Buy and Future Shop.

The new store will be in the same location as the Meadowlands' current Future Shop -- it's moving to the Wal-Mart power centre in the south of Ancaster.

Stollery explained that Best Buy, which currently has its only area store in Burlington, has been looking to break into the Hamilton market for several months.

"Timing is everything. We went after the GTA, then the larger markets in Canada and now we're going after the secondary larger markets," he said. "We've been looking for awhile and effectively had to create our own opportunity."

While he was coy about the cost of the new facilities, Stollery said the "many seven figures" price tag represents "a very serious economic commitment we're making in Hamilton."

Other locations could be coming in the future, he said, although the Centre Mall isn't on Best Buy's radar.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 3:22 PM
Closed account

this has to be the worst kept secret in town. Redcliffe owns both properties and is taking Sears out of Centre Mall. Gee, I wonder where they are going?? haha.

I still haven't heard anything about this so-called 'major tenant' for Centre Mall. anyone else?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 5:11 PM
On Guard For Thee

RTH it is sort of funny how they are playing coy about Eastgate--I'm guessing that HBC has made the request to avoid the appearance that Sears is "replacing" or "taking over" the location--which it is in essence doing--but you can understand for competitive reasons why The Bay would want to avoid this appearance. The demographic in that end of the city continues to change and I would guess Sears will do better there as they are in more product categories (like hardgoods) and have a slightly lower price-point. They'll likely do a nice job outfitting the store--their new locations with the full Lands End "store-within-a-store" concept look great. Amazing though, as Department Stores go, no one has yet touched Eaton's last interior layout at Lime Ridge for attractiveness and functionality.

Haven't heard anything about the "major tenant" for the Centre--I frankly think it's a bit of a ruse--and likely the "big" announcement will be another poorly kept secret--such as the fact that the Real Canadian Superstore is opening it's "first" location in Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 5:49 PM

The Loblaws superstore is most likely the as-yet-unnamed destination store referred to in previous posts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion