Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBuchman View Post
Beautiful photos.
Thanks!

Quote:
Fun fact: The Step By Step house is among those South Pasadena craftsmans. The show was supposed to be set in Wisconsin, but if you look carefully at the intro shots of the house you can clearly see palm trees in the background.
I never really watched that show, though I'm familiar with it...

Looking at the opening credits, it even starts out in South Pasadena, that's really funny to me.
Video Link

You can see the South Pas historical museum, and that was also before the street median was reconfigured and re-landscaped when they put in the Metro Station and plaza. And of course obviously the amusement park is really Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia.

The "Mama's Family" house is also in South Pasadena.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:26 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
The "Mama's Family" house is also in South Pasadena.
Nonsense. It's in Raytown, Missouri.

"Raytown, oh Raytown... Where happy children play...

(bumbadumbadum)

...and folks you know say, 'Hey... Hey...'"

You know how the little girl in Inside Out had a stupid gum commercial jingle stuck in her head? I have that little ditty from the episode where they had to compose a theme song for the town festival stuck in my head. I will be able to recall it with perfect clarity until the day I die. Thank you for reminding me of this unfortunate handicap.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Nonsense. It's in Raytown, Missouri.

"Raytown, oh Raytown... Where happy children play...

(bumbadumbadum)

...and folks you know say, 'Hey... Hey...'"

You know how the little girl in Inside Out had a stupid gum commercial jingle stuck in her head? I have that little ditty from the episode where they had to compose a theme song for the town festival stuck in my head. I will be able to recall it with perfect clarity until the day I die. Thank you for reminding me of this unfortunate handicap.
LOL!

I apologize, hauntedheadnc. And it's not really a handicap if it's something you can compensate for!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:55 AM
Me?!?

Great pics and commentary!

Quote:
Beautiful photos.

Fun fact: The Step By Step house is among those South Pasadena craftsmans. The show was supposed to be set in Wisconsin, but if you look carefully at the intro shots of the house you can clearly see palm trees in the background.
Video Link

My favorite part about the intro theme montage was the fake roller coaster and water

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 8:54 AM

Beautiful city.

But why does such a wealthy neighborhood have old overhead power lines. It makes it look third world.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:30 PM

Great set of photos. South Pasadena is a great small middle-upper class suburb from the more business areas of Pasadena, DTLA, and Alhambra. One of the best public school districts in the county along with nearby San Marino, La Canada, Arcadia.

sidenote: Anyone who has been to Six Flags Magic Mountain would know the Colossus wooden Rollercoaster in the step by step. The water was spliced into the video. I remember watching as a youngster and thinking I know that place ... I think, looks like Magic Mountain but there is not ocean there. This was before I knew the magic of movie editing. I want to say CGI but I dont think computers were around then.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:08 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
sidenote: Anyone who has been to Six Flags Magic Mountain would know the Colossus wooden Rollercoaster in the step by step. The water was spliced into the video. I remember watching as a youngster and thinking I know that place ... I think, looks like Magic Mountain but there is not ocean there. This was before I knew the magic of movie editing. I want to say CGI but I dont think computers were around then.
To clarify my "fake roller coaster" comment was in reference to when they are going up the hill and waving, it's clear that wasn't filmed on a real coaster. But yes I think that you may be correct about the other shots.

Yes, computers and digital effects were around then and trust me I would know.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
Beautiful city.

But why does such a wealthy neighborhood have old overhead power lines. It makes it look third world.
Oh yeah, South Pasadena totally looks like it's in a developing nation.

Just like Scarsdale, NY. They have old overhead power lines too. Even worse, even their traffic lights are on wires.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9985...7i16384!8i8192

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:27 AM

Wow what a beautiful town! I love all of those jacaranda trees. In my neighbor town of Claremont there's a lot of jacarandas also and the streets are so beautiful. So many hidden gems in Southern California, love it!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 1:41 AM
REAL Kiwi!

great job and a great town

I took two friends from Texas on a tour last week around LA and we had the conversation about what made it so unique. The climate and geography of course, dominates, it sets the table for an environment where you can literally build any style and landscape in any way because everything grows. You see amazing variety in SoCal.

they did love the jacarandas as well....

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 12:04 AM

Great photos, I love the lush greenery all around the San Gabriel Valley. One of my long time friends grew up in South Pasadena, and lived there for many years as an adult. If it was not so far from my job in Ventura County I would definitely live in the sink in the San Gabriel valley preferably South Pasadena, or Pasadena. Truefully anything along the 210 Corridor is fine in my book, but the coastal communities is always my first choice.

Side note: It really is irritating how some fourmers can somehow comment on threads related to Southern California and on one hand say something nice, but also throw shade on how much they dislike it. If you expect it to be like your northeast, or midwestern communities then you should have stayed where you’re from.

Better yet keep your negative comments to yourself.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post

Side note: It really is irritating how some fourmers can somehow comment on threads related to Southern California and on one hand say something nice, but also throw shade on how much they dislike it. If you expect it to be like your northeast, or midwestern communities then you should have stayed where you’re from.

Better yet keep your negative comments to yourself.
This happens on tons of photo threads- not just ones from Southern California. Methinks you're just a tad sensitive. I've seen forumers from California remark "where are all the people" on more threads of midwest cities than I can count!

Also, funnily enough, South Pasadena and much of these beautiful, desirable communities in the western SGV look the way they do because people from the midwest and northeast made them look the way they did. The lush, green landscaping is not something native to Southern California. The grassy lawns and big tree canopies are not something that naturally exist here. Many of the mansions and famous houses were built by industrialists from the midwest and northeast, too. Pasadena's famed Gamble House was built by the Gamble family of (Procter and Gamble fame) from Ohio, for example.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
This happens on tons of photo threads- not just ones from Southern California. Methinks you're just a tad sensitive. I've seen forumers from California remark "where are all the people" on more threads of midwest cities than I can count!

Also, funnily enough, South Pasadena and much of these beautiful, desirable communities in the western SGV look the way they do because people from the midwest and northeast made them look the way they did. The lush, green landscaping is not something native to Southern California. The grassy lawns and big tree canopies are not something that naturally exist here. Many of the mansions and famous houses were built by industrialists from the midwest and northeast, too. Pasadena's famed Gamble House was built by the Gamble family of (Procter and Gamble fame) from Ohio, for example.
Me thinks you don’t know what you’ve talking about. I’ve been here many years on this site and know what’s been said over the years. One of the reasons some California’s fourmers point this out in some photos threads because those types of comments originated from many Midwest and eastern fourmers on Southern California threads over the years. It’s was only recent when the moderators stopped the city versus city threads that it died down. So you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Also no need to school me on California history, I’m quite familiar with it. My dads family has a long history here and my mom family is from the South and Midwest. BTW, those same big tree canopies you see in most cities are planted as well, it’s call landscaping, and part of how most cities plan out their cities. Personally I like the native plants a lot of people are switching to, they are much more colorful and less boring. You can see some of it in sopas ej photos here.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Jul 9, 2019 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 8:37 AM

I, too, hope to migrate to Pasadena but I have decided not to use the same lawyers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos