HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Vicelord's Phoenix Travel Guide

In no way am I trying to be a big headed fuck. Don B. recommended I make a little dining guide for all and I thought I'd elaborate on it. Since I've lived in the valley all my life and don't really know anyone who knows it better than I do, I figured I would take requests and try to cover just about anything.

I am not going to post links, addresses, or phone numbers. It's up to you to research the location before you go.

I'll add to this as we go, but only on requests. Give me a category, and I'll put it up.

Downtown/Midtown Dining:

Breakfast: Matt's Big Breakfast. Take on the crowds to wait for one of the 30 or so seats. Nevermind that one 8oz glass of OJ is $2 and you don't get refills, it's the tastiest breakfast in the city.

Late night dining: Carly's Bistro. Dine on panini sandwiches from all over the world, great salads, and a nice wine list. Open until 12am or 2am every night except sunday and monday.

High end: Durant's Fine Foods. Something the downtown core is lacking is a high end dining spot. Travel two miles north on Central Avenue, though, and you'll find Durant's, a steakhouse straight out of 1955.

Mid Range: District American Kitchen and Wine Bar. You'd think a restaurant in a convention hotel would be as basic as it gets, but District prides itself on local and organic cuisines. It's an added bonus the alcohol is all American made.

Cheap Eats: Z Pizza. Especially during lunch time, Z Pizza is one of the more affordable spots downtown. One can pick up a 16oz beer and two slices of pizza on game days for under $6!

American:St. Francis. For those looking for your good standby American Comfort food, look no further than St. Francis. The fact it's in a beautiful historic building is just a bonus.

Asian: China Chili. High quality, tasteful, and clean chinese. China Chili has been a local staple for years.

Mexican: Los Dos Molinos. Anyone in who has lived in Phoenix for any amount of time should know LDM. Their most recent opening, at 11th street and Washington, carries the same brand of firey hot New Mexican.

Wait: Pizzeria Bianco. You want to wait a long time for dinner? Look no further than Pizzeria Bianco. There are two (about to be three) bars in the park which Bianco is located to kill some time. Hey, it's the best pizza in the country, and Oprah wouldn't lie would she?

Cheapest place to get shitfaced: Bikini Lounge. Ducking hipsters, dodging bums, and walking my way home on all sorts of adventures usually only takes me two $4 PBR mini pitchers.

College Hangouts: Sky Lounge. They do 18 and up nights (the only bar downtown to do so.)

Bar grub: Tie; The Main Ingredient and The Roosevelt. Gourmet hot dogs, tomato soup and grilled cheese, and great craft beer selections. It's almost as if one is an extension of the other.

Gayest place: Fez. Fez serves a mediterranean inspired menu with great burgers and stiff drinks. Drink specials almost every night. Open late.

Most likely to get raped, robbed and shot at: Bruno Mali/Hidden House. The original central phoenix dive bars. play pool, breakdance, and drink bud light all night. Just make sure you drink enough to have your wits when you are walking through the parking lot.

Best Frist Date: Cibo. Hands down the coolest atmosphere downtown. Great patio, great remodeled home feel inside. The pizza is easily top ten in the valley. It's dark, it's sexy, and it won't break the bank if she (or he) doesn't put out after.

Best to get a heart attack: Lo Lo's Chicken and Waffles. Get yo'self a Jar of Drank (kool aid) and a Baby Ray (2 pieces of smothered chicken with waffles) and then wallow in your food coma for the rest of the day. Do not tell doctor.

Phoenix area Hotel Guide:

Best Downtown Convention Hotel: Sheraton Phoenix Downtown. This is Sheraton's newest hotel, and sets the bar for Sheratons to come. Located just a block from the Convention Center and close to dining.

Best Resort for Couples: Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain Resort & Spa. It's secluded enough to make you feel like you're in the desert, yet 10 minutes from Old Town and 15 mintues from Downtown. You'll love the Asian inspired spa resort atmosphere.

Best Resort for Familes: Arizona Grand Resort: Tennis, Golf, Shopping, and a full blown waterpark with two 5 story water slides and a wave pool for the kiddos. Every room is a suite. It's tailor made for familes.

Best Resort on a Budget: Hilton Pointe Squaw Peak. Three on site restaurants, close proximity to the city, and a nice spread out resort atmosphere. Rarely is the rate over $200 even in high season.

Best Budget Hotel Downtown: Marriott SpringHill Suites. Limited service means limited price. If you're going to be frequenting the Convention Center, it's about 1/2 mile walk. The rooms are clean, and it's a secured building. DO NOT fall for the hype of the Clarendon Hotel. It's a dirty, Mexico style party hotel in which you're lible to pick up a case of syphilus.

Best Blast From The Past: Royal Palms Resort & Spa. Built in 1929 as a Tuscan Villa and a home originally, Royal Palms is now one of the most lavish resorts in town. They feature a tremendous restaurant, T.Cook's.

Best Free Attractions in the City:

Tempe Center for Art: Located on the Tempe Town lake, which is great to visit as well, you'll find one of the more abstract buildings in town. It features an art gallery, several auditoriums, a studio, and a beautiful reflecting pool out front. It's a great spot for photography.

Arizona Falls: Originally a swimming hole for locals and a hydroelectric power plant, Arizona Falls has been remodeled so as to allow you to walk under the waterfalls and learn about the history of this beautiul location.

Civic Space Park: Janet Echelman's new sculpture Her Secret Is Patience glows 160' above this beautiful downtown park full of interactive lights and fountains.

South Mountain Park: You can hike, bike, horseback ride, view hundreds of petroglyphs, or just drive to the summit which provides you a 360-degree view of the entire city. Along the route, go through "little mexico" for some real local flavor.

Last edited by Vicelord John; Mar 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:18 PM

Really? Durant's for "High End"? I admit I've never been inside but it certainly doesn't strike me as "High End" from reviews Ive read, the the building itself, or pictures online.

Kincaids seems more high end to me...or The Compass Room.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Great list, and I like the idea. Keep it coming, especially for other 'hoods! Surprised you left Cibo off the list. I think thats a great DT spot.

I've heard nothing but great things about Durant's. Very pricey, but great old Phoenix charm from what I've heard. Unfortunately, I won't be going there anytime soon, because I don't wanna drop $150 for dinner for 2. Perhaps one day though.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Really? Durant's for "High End"? I admit I've never been inside but it certainly doesn't strike me as "High End" from reviews Ive read, the the building itself, or pictures online.

Kincaids seems more high end to me...or The Compass Room.

Kincaids high end? blah. that place blows donkey sack. I also don't support chains. Compass dining room is meh. Average. Ever been to Durant's? it's very enjoyable.

And Leo, the categories I was given didn't provide a spot for Cibo. I thought of a good one (best first date.) The pizza is beat by a lot of places but the atmosphere is sooo cool.

Last edited by Vicelord John; Mar 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:46 PM

Just rename this to "Central Phoenix Dining".

Durant's, China Chili, The Main Ingredient, Fez, Bruno Mali/Hidden House, even Bikini aren't downtown.

Or get rid of all of that and really use stuff that is downtown then use these places for "Central Phoenix but not Downtown Travel Guide".

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:48 PM

I like your list but it bums me out that so much of it is the north end of DT and not really walkable from the convention center, major hotels, or sports complex.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Just rename this to "Central Phoenix Dining".

Durant's, China Chili, The Main Ingredient, Fez, Bruno Mali/Hidden House, even Bikini aren't downtown.

Or get rid of all of that and really use stuff that is downtown then use these places for "Central Phoenix but not Downtown Travel Guide".
I'll be happy to change it to Central Phoenix Travel Guide.

The fact is, most of the places walkable from convention center and sports are shit holes.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:57 PM

Mrs. White's and Duck and Decanture?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:00 AM

This is excellent, John. Thanks.

If you have not been to Durant's, it is an experience that must be had. In addition, the price and the taste will let you know that you are in the top tier of Arizona's dining establishments, even if the decor is dated. I personally like the atmosphere a lot.

I've been to some of these places and I agree with John in his assessments on all of them. He nails it, and this why he does what he does.

--don

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:04 AM
The Man

This list is incomplete until you find a way to fit in Lolo's chicken and waffles

I'm not sure what category it would fall under, but it's delicious enough to go in your guide... perhaps Most likely to get raped, robbed and shot at II

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:11 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Good list. Though I once had a waitress at Carlys wearing a tank top who didnt shave her pits and that really about made me hurl.

EDIT: VV Thats horrifying and I hope not true. I prefer my ladies hairless except on the tops of their heads.

Last edited by HooverDam; Mar 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Good list. Though I once had a waitress at Carlys wearing a tank top who didnt shave her pits and that really about made me hurl.
I've had sex with her. She doesn't shave her legs or her beaver either.

^^ of course I was kidding, but what's wrong with a bushy beaver? or at least a landing strip or something.

Last edited by Vicelord John; Mar 25, 2010 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:43 AM

unshaved beaver= kinda cool, unshaved legs= not so much.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
This is excellent, John. Thanks.

If you have not been to Durant's, it is an experience that must be had. In addition, the price and the taste will let you know that you are in the top tier of Arizona's dining establishments, even if the decor is dated. I personally like the atmosphere a lot.

I've been to some of these places and I agree with John in his assessments on all of them. He nails it, and this why he does what he does.

--don
I have to say that the only time I've been to Durant's was on New Year's Day 2000. I (and a guest) were the first to sign the "guest book" in 2000. The place doesn't look high-end, but the service and the food was great.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Wait: Pizzeria Bianco. You want to wait a long time for dinner? Look no further than Pizzeria Bianco. There are two (about to be three) bars in the park which Bianco is located to kill some time. Hey, it's the best pizza in the country, and Oprah wouldn't lie would she?
We went to Bianco last weekend, fully expecting to wait 3 hours and pass the time getting loaded next store, and they said it would be a 5-5 1/2 hour wait!

I still haven't made it inside.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:16 PM
The Man

Ha, love the category for Lolo's!

I think all your restaurants are DT Phoenix, but I see you're adding some other attractions from around the valley. If you're cool with adding restaurants from around the valley too, I nominate Papa Razzini's for best Italian and Tandoori Times for best Indian.

Also, under best free attractions, I would include the Scottsdale greenbelt for best bike trail.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
Ha, love the category for Lolo's!

I think all your restaurants are DT Phoenix, but I see you're adding some other attractions from around the valley. If you're cool with adding restaurants from around the valley too, I nominate Papa Razzini's for best Italian and Tandoori Times for best Indian.

Also, under best free attractions, I would include the Scottsdale greenbelt for best bike trail.
I'm going to do a recreation category when I have more time. High season and ten hour a day shifts are killing me.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:07 AM

Any room for "Best Happy Hour". I'd nominate Hula's but I'm no Happy Hour expert.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkoto View Post
We went to Bianco last weekend, fully expecting to wait 3 hours and pass the time getting loaded next store, and they said it would be a 5-5 1/2 hour wait!

I still haven't made it inside.
I won't go back. Its not worth the wait. While its fun to go next door or over to Rose n crown for some beers and the pizza is good, the service is terrible.

Once we finally got seated at Bianco, they were rushing us to get the hell out. I couldn't even order another drink, we had the bill on the table before we were close to finishing our meals.

Nothing is worth waiting up to 3 - 5.5 hours! I prefer Cibo or LGO better atmosphere, better service, great pizza, good pricing.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Any room for "Best Happy Hour". I'd nominate Hula's but I'm no Happy Hour expert.
Or how about best place to "pre-game it" to smash beers before one pays $7-9 beers at D-Backs/Suns or some other event...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest