HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 5:37 AM

I haven't felt this offended since the night twenty years ago when some guy picked a fight with me in a movie theatre.

I kicked his tail.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 7:08 AM

What?!

Things that are impossible to not like:

Hey, didja hear the news?

Mayor wants new library, walk of fame

Lowe sets himself 18-month goal to redevelop Centennial Square

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist

Published: Friday, June 15, 2007
A new City Hall and downtown library, along with a spiffed up Centennial Square and a walk of fame on Douglas Street, topped a "to do" list rhymed off by Victoria Mayor Alan Lowe Thursday night in an address marking the halfway point of his term.
"The city is lacking a functional civic square for people to gather," Lowe said of Centennial Square, adding he'd like to move the fountain at the square's centre, or change its design, to allow the area to be used as a festival site.
He said he'd also like to move the downtown library into the area around the square, noting that the province is interested in taking over its existing Broughton Street building.

If that happens, Lowe would like to tear down the parkade adjacent to Centennial Square and replace it with a new building to house the library, as well as offices for City Hall staff, and underground parking.
The present City Hall, a national heritage building, is cramped and not suitable for an organization aiming to be one of the top 100 places to work, Lowe said. It could be used as an archives or a museum facility.
Lowe set himself an 18-month goal - the remainder of his third term - to create plans to redevelop Centennial Square done.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:46 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Aastra....

That's halarious.....I think it's time for a rematch!!! Golden Gloves at the Golden Globes all out cage match. Time to pay back my respects from the last fight we had at the Theatre...you know...the one that I wasn't at!!!

p.s. I talked to Zoomer tonight we are getting a few more photos before I make that post, it's going to be a pretty cool post/thread actually!!!

Holden.....

That is awesome! I hope he does a better job of it than the Arena!!! hahahahaa.... We don't need another underacheived facility. If we build a new Library it should last us twenty years. Not be too small in five.

I also wonder how the JBNEA will feel, the put up a huge fuss last time the Library was to be moved to the Bay building, as it was too far from Jamesbay. I don't think they can say much now since they have been saying that the Art Gallery shouldn't be in Jamesbay but rather in Rockbay!

All in all though this is good news, I hate that parkade too!!! Good on you Alan!!! Just build it right!!!

Also to add on things you have to love.... ( I knew I would strike a cord on not liking the purple squares hahaha) sorry

I took these photos off Lagoon Rd in Colwood, man those birds are big...they thought I had food and walked right out of the water and came right up to me!!! Worried me for a minute...

Last edited by The Great Scaper; Jun 15, 2007 at 9:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 2:47 PM
Everything will pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
I know this is going to offend some people but I really don't like those prisms.
I know who's getting voted off the island!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 9:14 PM

i have to admit i have no idea where this is

Quote:
Selkirk Waterfront winning fans
People now pleased to live and work in area redeveloped after sawmill shut down

Neither Robin Hoesly nor Joan Tinney was thrilled about leaving her downtown office to work in another plunked in a former sawmill site, far away from the Bay Centre and other shopping magnets.

But tunes change. On a recent sunny lunch hour, the two sat on a bench talking about how they have happily replaced a noon shopping habit with walks along a waterfront boardwalk on nice days, and gym workouts when it rains.

They work in a Selkirk Waterfront enclave with a school, coffee shops, about 600 residents living in swish condos and townhouses alongside social housing, a gym, rowing club, a pub, and professional office spaces with light-industrial bookending. Soon, a seniors assisted-living complex will join the mix. There's space for retail shops, should the urge to spend return.

"I was a lunchtime shopper," says Hoesly, admitting she misses it a bit, but not the panhandlers.

About 2,000 people go to the Selkirk area daily, some working, some living there. They go to school, play in rowing sculls and kayaks, or walk, or cycle the Galloping Goose trail that passes in front of the development. And some are looky-loos, arriving via the Inner Harbour Ferry.

Gordon Price, a Vancouver-based commentator on urban development, stumbled upon Selkirk recently.

"It was a bit of surprise, said Price, drawn to the area in connection with a rowing competition.

"I thought it was very good. The relationship to the water and putting in the boat house there and the trestle is terrific. The quality of architecture is really good and the workmanship is very, very good.

"I've seen a lot of those industrial park developments to know that it is way beyond the norm," adds Price, who teaches at Simon Fraser University.

The development -- accessed off Gorge Road from Jutland, Garbally or Dunedin streets -- can still evoke a "Where's that?" response. Increasingly, it is coming into its own as a recognizable community that arose from an industrial brownfield.

Redeveloping industrial sites has huge benefits for communities, said Tammy Lomas-Jylha, executive director of the Canadian Brownfield Network. "They are an exciting way to reinvigorate and revitalize a community. If one developer steps up ... it potentially creates that domino effect in the area."

Hoesly was among the first wave of Ministry of Environment workers who moved in the early 1990s.

There's considerably more traffic in the area since then, and that stands out as the singular concern of people living and working in the area.

Hoesly works in the first of several building blocks that have turned an abandoned Fletcher Challenge operation into a jewel along the Inner Harbour and an example of award-winning urban planning.

The Selkirk Waterfront development is viewed now as a nearly self-contained community living up to its billing: And to think it was originally eyed for a big-box store development.

Heritage conservation champion Stuart Stark relocated his store, Charles Rupert, from Oak Bay Avenue almost a year ago.

"I have more profit and less stress. It's like being on a holiday working down here," said Stark, adding "on Oak Bay Avenue retailers get a lot of entertainment shoppers; the husband and wife coming in with their Starbucks and saying 'You have really nice things' but never buying." Now, customers of his interior-design showroom come with a purpose.

Stark even considers living in the community, although he and his wife have spent years restoring an Oak Bay heritage home.

Selkirk resident Anne Russo did make the jump, downsizing from a five-bedroom home to a low-rise condo. "I liked the idea of increased density.

"We looked at lots of nice places. But I trust the developer. He has a sense of community ... It isn't complete yet, but it recognizes that there is more to a community than a building dropped in."

Nearby resident Rod Fowler spoke at a Victoria council meeting of how the development has returned life and possibilities to the wider area.

Money Mart put its head office here. When the Gorge Rowing and Paddling Centre settled into a boat house, it signalled the waterfront was accessible to the public. One of the Selkirk's architects has bought into the place -- always a good sign.

"It's been interesting being there," said Frank D'Ambrosio, whose spacious, ground-floor office includes an artist's studio.

Recently, representatives of Jawl Holdings Ltd. were at Victoria council for approval for the last development permit on the 24-acre site, which was an industrial site for 80 years. Speaker after speaker enthused about the community that has risen from the sawdust.

The council meeting was a historical footnote because it was the conclusion -- for the city at least -- of a process that started in 1990. When the unanimous vote was taken, council gave the applicant -- represented by Mohan Jawl and D'Ambrosio -- unpredecented applause for bringing the last piece of the Selkirk puzzle to the table.

The project has taken longer than the 10 years originally imagined. Along the way, the Jawls sold four parcels, one as a defensive move because of unfounded fears a surplus of office space was looming. Two residential parcels were sold because of the company's building capacity at the time. The fourth, an assisted-seniors complex, has been turned over to a developer with that expertise.

Fully built out, the area will have 300,000 square feet of office, 350 housing units, 100,000 square feet of retail and four acres of light industrial.

If the community works better than some, it is "because it was under one ownership," said city planner Brian Sikstrom. Even parcels sold off came with design strings attached.

"It was a planned community with some pretty forward-looking policies and innovative design features," said Sikstrom.

While council celebrates, Jawl, whose connection with the property began when he was 15 and worked for Fletcher Challenge, is more circumspect, unwilling to pronounce the project a success until the last three buildings are complete.

"Only once those units are built and occupied will it be known that the mix of uses will work in the way we hoped. ... It will be two or three years. That's when it will be time to celebrate."

The development of the site after Fletcher Challenge closed its sawmill and plywood plant could have been vastly different. After the facility was dismantled in 1989, the first business to grab an option to buy was Price Club, which envisioned the area with a big-box store surrounded by asphalt parking.

"I told [Price Club] it was a bad idea. It was such a special site that the big box would be entirely inappropriate. They were from out of town and didn't understand Victoria that well," said retired city planner Len Vopnfjord.

The rejection didn't sit well in some circles. The B.C. construction industry lambasted the city for being difficult to do business with. In today's context, and considering the mixed community that evolved, it seems easy to dismiss the criticism. But at the time it was a powerful statement lobbed when the economy was barely at a simmer.

The area still carries vestiges of its industrial past. Next door to the Selkirk Development, Budget Steel still noisily crushes cars every weekday. On one lunch hour an office worker sat reading on a bench, in front of the industrial vista, seemingly oblivious to it all.

"I have mixed feelings about Budget," said Jawl. "They were there when we made our proposal, and we didn't proceed on the assumption they would leave."

Instead, the Jawls put light industrial adjacent to the operation, buffering the residential, office and recreational areas.

Jawl notes that when he watches customers at the Glo Europub and Restaurant, not all shun the car-crushing side of the street. "Some are attracted to the views of the water, but a significant number are attracted to what's going on at Budget Steel."

Forty years from now, Budget likely won't be there, predicted Sikstrom, a city planner.

Time, of course, will tell. There was also a time when no one would have predicted the site would have been anything but a sawmill.

Joan Tinney, left, and Robin Hoesly work at Selkirk Waterfront. They weren't thrilled about being moved from downtown, but have come to enjoy their new location on the former site of a sawmill.
Photograph by : Debra Brash, Times Colonist

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...d5fa80&k=69065

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 9:17 PM

i have to admit i have no idea where this is

Quote:
Selkirk Waterfront winning fans
People now pleased to live and work in area redeveloped after sawmill shut down

Neither Robin Hoesly nor Joan Tinney was thrilled about leaving her downtown office to work in another plunked in a former sawmill site, far away from the Bay Centre and other shopping magnets.

But tunes change. On a recent sunny lunch hour, the two sat on a bench talking about how they have happily replaced a noon shopping habit with walks along a waterfront boardwalk on nice days, and gym workouts when it rains.

They work in a Selkirk Waterfront enclave with a school, coffee shops, about 600 residents living in swish condos and townhouses alongside social housing, a gym, rowing club, a pub, and professional office spaces with light-industrial bookending. Soon, a seniors assisted-living complex will join the mix. There's space for retail shops, should the urge to spend return.

"I was a lunchtime shopper," says Hoesly, admitting she misses it a bit, but not the panhandlers.

About 2,000 people go to the Selkirk area daily, some working, some living there. They go to school, play in rowing sculls and kayaks, or walk, or cycle the Galloping Goose trail that passes in front of the development. And some are looky-loos, arriving via the Inner Harbour Ferry.

Gordon Price, a Vancouver-based commentator on urban development, stumbled upon Selkirk recently.

"It was a bit of surprise, said Price, drawn to the area in connection with a rowing competition.

"I thought it was very good. The relationship to the water and putting in the boat house there and the trestle is terrific. The quality of architecture is really good and the workmanship is very, very good.

"I've seen a lot of those industrial park developments to know that it is way beyond the norm," adds Price, who teaches at Simon Fraser University.

The development -- accessed off Gorge Road from Jutland, Garbally or Dunedin streets -- can still evoke a "Where's that?" response. Increasingly, it is coming into its own as a recognizable community that arose from an industrial brownfield.

Redeveloping industrial sites has huge benefits for communities, said Tammy Lomas-Jylha, executive director of the Canadian Brownfield Network. "They are an exciting way to reinvigorate and revitalize a community. If one developer steps up ... it potentially creates that domino effect in the area."

Hoesly was among the first wave of Ministry of Environment workers who moved in the early 1990s.

There's considerably more traffic in the area since then, and that stands out as the singular concern of people living and working in the area.

Hoesly works in the first of several building blocks that have turned an abandoned Fletcher Challenge operation into a jewel along the Inner Harbour and an example of award-winning urban planning.

The Selkirk Waterfront development is viewed now as a nearly self-contained community living up to its billing: And to think it was originally eyed for a big-box store development.

Heritage conservation champion Stuart Stark relocated his store, Charles Rupert, from Oak Bay Avenue almost a year ago.

"I have more profit and less stress. It's like being on a holiday working down here," said Stark, adding "on Oak Bay Avenue retailers get a lot of entertainment shoppers; the husband and wife coming in with their Starbucks and saying 'You have really nice things' but never buying." Now, customers of his interior-design showroom come with a purpose.

Stark even considers living in the community, although he and his wife have spent years restoring an Oak Bay heritage home.

Selkirk resident Anne Russo did make the jump, downsizing from a five-bedroom home to a low-rise condo. "I liked the idea of increased density.

"We looked at lots of nice places. But I trust the developer. He has a sense of community ... It isn't complete yet, but it recognizes that there is more to a community than a building dropped in."

Nearby resident Rod Fowler spoke at a Victoria council meeting of how the development has returned life and possibilities to the wider area.

Money Mart put its head office here. When the Gorge Rowing and Paddling Centre settled into a boat house, it signalled the waterfront was accessible to the public. One of the Selkirk's architects has bought into the place -- always a good sign.

"It's been interesting being there," said Frank D'Ambrosio, whose spacious, ground-floor office includes an artist's studio.

Recently, representatives of Jawl Holdings Ltd. were at Victoria council for approval for the last development permit on the 24-acre site, which was an industrial site for 80 years. Speaker after speaker enthused about the community that has risen from the sawdust.

The council meeting was a historical footnote because it was the conclusion -- for the city at least -- of a process that started in 1990. When the unanimous vote was taken, council gave the applicant -- represented by Mohan Jawl and D'Ambrosio -- unpredecented applause for bringing the last piece of the Selkirk puzzle to the table.

The project has taken longer than the 10 years originally imagined. Along the way, the Jawls sold four parcels, one as a defensive move because of unfounded fears a surplus of office space was looming. Two residential parcels were sold because of the company's building capacity at the time. The fourth, an assisted-seniors complex, has been turned over to a developer with that expertise.

Fully built out, the area will have 300,000 square feet of office, 350 housing units, 100,000 square feet of retail and four acres of light industrial.

If the community works better than some, it is "because it was under one ownership," said city planner Brian Sikstrom. Even parcels sold off came with design strings attached.

"It was a planned community with some pretty forward-looking policies and innovative design features," said Sikstrom.

While council celebrates, Jawl, whose connection with the property began when he was 15 and worked for Fletcher Challenge, is more circumspect, unwilling to pronounce the project a success until the last three buildings are complete.

"Only once those units are built and occupied will it be known that the mix of uses will work in the way we hoped. ... It will be two or three years. That's when it will be time to celebrate."

The development of the site after Fletcher Challenge closed its sawmill and plywood plant could have been vastly different. After the facility was dismantled in 1989, the first business to grab an option to buy was Price Club, which envisioned the area with a big-box store surrounded by asphalt parking.

"I told [Price Club] it was a bad idea. It was such a special site that the big box would be entirely inappropriate. They were from out of town and didn't understand Victoria that well," said retired city planner Len Vopnfjord.

The rejection didn't sit well in some circles. The B.C. construction industry lambasted the city for being difficult to do business with. In today's context, and considering the mixed community that evolved, it seems easy to dismiss the criticism. But at the time it was a powerful statement lobbed when the economy was barely at a simmer.

The area still carries vestiges of its industrial past. Next door to the Selkirk Development, Budget Steel still noisily crushes cars every weekday. On one lunch hour an office worker sat reading on a bench, in front of the industrial vista, seemingly oblivious to it all.

"I have mixed feelings about Budget," said Jawl. "They were there when we made our proposal, and we didn't proceed on the assumption they would leave."

Instead, the Jawls put light industrial adjacent to the operation, buffering the residential, office and recreational areas.

Jawl notes that when he watches customers at the Glo Europub and Restaurant, not all shun the car-crushing side of the street. "Some are attracted to the views of the water, but a significant number are attracted to what's going on at Budget Steel."

Forty years from now, Budget likely won't be there, predicted Sikstrom, a city planner.

Time, of course, will tell. There was also a time when no one would have predicted the site would have been anything but a sawmill.

Joan Tinney, left, and Robin Hoesly work at Selkirk Waterfront. They weren't thrilled about being moved from downtown, but have come to enjoy their new location on the former site of a sawmill.
Photograph by : Debra Brash, Times Colonist

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...d5fa80&k=69065

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 10:31 PM

Here.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 7:53 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

That was easy!!!......ahahahaa

If anyone want to see the job I am wrapping up with landscaping at my mom's now that I have done all of her drainage and sewer, you can see some of the photos on here!!!

She had over 60,000 dollars worth of damage to here house via two floods in the winter....we had to rip out her concrete patio all around her house to about six feet etc. I was working on her house for two months straight last month without a day off...slowly coming back together!!! Been a lot of work...anyways the photos are of the last two days!!!

http://flickr.com/photos/55063726@N00/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 6:39 PM

It's just north of the Bay Street Bridge (on the Gorge, opposite the old railyards site):

Last edited by aastra; Jun 18, 2007 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 6:56 PM

I've been meaning to take a photo of that same view but at night. Selkirk takes on another life when the sun goes down with its contrasts in lighting between commercial and residential spaces.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 8:45 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I have a cool photo of the new crane their too. Thanks for the photo Aastra I haven't really looked at it from that angle. Kinda cool actually.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
I've been meaning to take a photo of that same view but at night. Selkirk takes on another life when the sun goes down with its contrasts in lighting between commercial and residential spaces.
A recent issue of Boulevard had a good Selkirk evening shot. Also, yesterday's T/C print edition ran an old shot of Selkirk when it was industrial.

I'd love to zip ahead 50 years in a time machine to see how it ages.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 11:51 PM

Selkirk by night is just amazing, ain't it?

That old school photo you're referring to just happens to have captured much of my neighbourhood including our lot and all of our immediate neighbours. Most of the houses in our area are character homes so its a trip seeing them then and living among them now.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 11:53 PM

^And I'm sure if there are any old-timers left they don't miss the days when the wind blew south.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 5:04 AM
I'm cheap

It's going to be weird to see some stuff in Victoria when I get down there tomorrow afternoon... Very interesting indeed...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 5:12 AM

Things are changing, but don't get your hopes up TOO, too much.

Vic West is definitely being reshaped along the shoreline, though.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 5:33 AM
I'm cheap

Well, yeah... I've only been gone for like 7 months...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 8:43 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Hey if anyone wants to come out Wednesday evening... there is at least three or four of us going out tomorrow night for some photo taking...got access to some roof tops!!! Tentitively...possibly thursday night but most likely tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone!

p.s. I'll post a meeting place and time when we decide where we are going to meet.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 9:20 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Hey Guys:

We had a great time. Got on top of some roofs and the coolest part was getting access to the fire department's tower for taking some photos.

It's really late but I promised the guys that I would post some photos, as I have been rather tardy with the other ones so here's a sneak of some of the photos I took last night. We were out to after midnight so I'm getting pretty tired and have lots of work to do...so here it goes!!!

Looking from top of Cook St. ( Downtown)

same looking toward Vic West

Y lot

From fire hall's tower

From Moss Rocks

Dockside Green's office downtown...going for late night food!

Old town photos of cool buildings....

So that's it for now, sorry for the short discriptions, Zoomer wanted me to post some as soon as possible so I picked and choose between about a hundred photos I took...hehehe.

Night everyone!!!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 4:27 PM
Everything will pass

Thanks Scaper -- those shots sure make an ex-Victorian feel homesick. Nice job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia