HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:50 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I compared a few cities based off there layout, infrastructure and neighborhoods.
SD-LA
Seattle-Portland-Vancouver
Denver-Salt Lake
Minneapolis-Dallas
Chicago-Houston
Indy-Columbus
Pitts-Cincy
Nash-Atlanta
Miami-Tampa
New Orleans- St Lo
New Orleans and St. Louis at one time, sure. They were kind of a binary system. Now, not so much except river traffic.

KC seems to interact with St. Louis a lot, but I personally don't feel pulled back that way by necessity the way I feel like I'm within the orbit of Chicago, especially being a really fast flight to O'Hare (and then international or whatever) out of a rediculously expedient and convenient/centralized St. Louis airport. I've joked about it before but i've absolutely spent more time getting TO O'Hare from the (Chicago) loop than St. Louis.

I'm jetlagged so I don't know if that makes sense.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:28 PM

For some reason, I picture Portland and Minneapolis as long lost twins. Both seems to have that bookish, outdoorsy populous and diy culture. Maybe since 50 percent of Oregonians are transplants, this might be somewhat true as were chock full of Midwesterners. Our rain and gloom is not so unlike their frozen tundra of a winter, but hardcore locals still go out and do stuff regardless while transplants complain about it. Too bad we don't have their housing prices though. Its getting more and more expensive out here.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
From an outsider's perspective, they seem kinda similar.

The two biggest Deep South cities, the two biggest Delta cities, both Mississippi towns that got rich on cotton, both flat and swampy, both famed due to music and cuisine, and the two blackest major metros. Housing stock looks pretty similar too.
No. Just no. Atlanta may have something to say regarding the deep south. The majority of New Orleans' wealth came from sugar cane, not cotton. Housing stock.......maybe I missed Memphis' french creole cottages and french quarter style row homes and shotguns, but no. The only nearby major cities NOLA seems to give any passing thought to are Houston and Atlanta. And out of those two, I'd say Houston has the most synergetic relationship due to the shared oil industry, the fact that Louisiana food and music culture has bled over into Houston and the many, many, Louisianans that currently live in the Houston area.

Last edited by DatFiyah; Apr 11, 2017 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatFiyah View Post
No. Just no. Atlanta may have something to say regarding the deep south. The majority of New Orleans' wealth came from sugar cane, not cotton. Housing stock.......maybe I missed Memphis' french creole cottages and french quarter style row homes and shotguns, but no. The only nearby major cities NOLA seems to give any passing thought to are Houston and Atlanta.
I don't think so. Atlanta looks and feels nothing like NOLA. Atlanta is hilly, different foilage, super-sprawly, much newer, much more transient, different ethnic mix. Houston has similar topography but basically everything else is different.

There are barely any rowhomes in NOLA. There are tons of shotguns, but that's a normal typology in Memphis too. Memphis is like shotgun central.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. Atlanta looks and feels nothing like NOLA. Atlanta is hilly, different foilage, super-sprawly, much newer, much more transient, different ethnic mix. Houston has similar topography but basically everything else is different.

There are barely any rowhomes in NOLA. There are tons of shotguns, but that's a normal typology in Memphis too. Memphis is like shotgun central.
I was referencing your comment that Memphis and New Orleans were the largest cities in the deep south. Not that New Orleans and Atlanta were similar. Louisville also has shotgun houses. The quarter has tons of rowhomes. Shotguns alone do not make New Orleans and Memphis similar. Memphis is very typically Southern with regard to architechture and cuisine. While New Orleans is heavily french creole. What is Memphis' equivalent to the Quarter? What is Memphis' equivalent to gumbo, jambalaya? Food only found in SELA? This thread was about "Real synergy between both such as travel ,trade, shared local cultures". These exist at some levels with Houston. Just my personal opinion, but Memphis is not on NOLA's radar. There is no sync there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:31 PM

I agree about Houston and New Orleans. They are both coastal and swampy cities, and with their messy green appearance, they feel like they could be overtaken by vegetation in fairly short order. They have nearly identical and equally unpleasant hot and muggy climates. Energy exploration and engineering, refining, and port related activities are three of the largest industries in both metros. There are a huge number of Louisiana ex-pats in the Houston area in both the white and black communities. Cajun style food is very popular and well executed in Houston. Residents in both metro areas lead very similar lifestyles. The suburban areas look and feel very similar. Some of the older and funkier inner city neighborhoods in Houston look and feel a bit like their counterparts in inner city New Orleans. I am not talking about shotguns and row houses, but probably most of the homes in the city of New Orleans are not shot gun or row house once you get more than a few miles from downtown. Huge numbers of folks in both metros engage in boating and sports fishing activities linked to the proximity to the Gulf of Mexico or bodies of water attached to the Gulf. Houston is, of course, much bigger, richer, more economically diverse, and, arguably, more progressive, but there is something at the heart of both places that is somehow similar.

Memphis and New Orleans had a synergy back in the 19th Century days of river commerce, but commercial ties between the two cities subsided as river traffic transformed in the 20th Century and other transportation options (rail, trucking, and air) emerged. Memphis and New Orleans banks used to share business in the region (mostly Mississippi and parts of Alabama and Arkansas) between the two cities, but those banks have almost all been swallowed up by the big nationwide banks. Similarly there is no longer a strong connect between the large local law firms in each city. Memphis and New Orleans were two of the three most important southern cities 100 years ago. They loomed large in the region. Today they are second tier players, and each city plays to strengths found much closer to home.

Last edited by austlar1; Apr 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i remember it being joked about when i lived there that even though ohio won the war for toledo, it's still feels a lot more like SE michigan than anything else in ohio.

yeah. something about tampa being on the gulf coast side of the state, versus orlando/miami on the east coast... tampa is also probably the most conservative metro in the state.
Tampa is relatively conservative for a metro with it's size and diversity, but I would disagree that it's the most conservative. Jacksonville is by far the most conservative, along with areas like Pensacola and the panhandle.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:42 AM

Phoenix - Tucson: Phoenix obviously the bigger player of the two, but a lot of shared commerce and history. Gradually merging or at least getting closer physically. Similar to Chicago-Milwaukee.

Phoenix - Las Vegas: both booming, desert cities an hour flight apart.

Denver - KC: the next stop from each on I-70. Take away the mountains and the cities feel very similar. KC almost seems like a western city, even though it's in in Missouri, and Denver has some mid-western vibe to it in spots.

Boston - Montreal: The largest cities north and east of NY. More European than most other NA cities. About the same distance to each other as they are to New York, and closer than Boston-Philly or Montreal-Toronto.

Houston - New Orleans: Gulf Coast Ports, both with large oil/energy businesses.Lot's of migration between the two.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post

Boston - Montreal: The largest cities north and east of NY. More European than most other NA cities. About the same distance to each other as they are to New York, and closer than Boston-Philly or Montreal-Toronto.

I recently posted this in the Canada forum about these two cities. I think we're on the same wavelength.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=114

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:01 PM

I think there are similarities between Boston and Montreal, but not super-strong. Culturally, economically, they're very different. Boston is too rigid, serious and wealthy.

Montreal feels more like if Philly and NOLA had a baby, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
I think there are similarities between Boston and Montreal, but not super-strong. Culturally, economically, they're very different. Boston is too rigid, serious and wealthy.

Montreal feels more like if Philly and NOLA had a baby, IMO.
but there it is...from what i can tell, they sort of compliment/play off one another ying and yang.

maybe

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 8:25 PM

I would say for the LA area, here are the major cities with synergies in no particular order. Considerations include trade, migration patterns, entertainment, tech and sports

1) LA - SF
2) LA - Las Vegas
3) LA - SD
4) LA - NYC

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i remember it being joked about when i lived there that even though ohio won the war for toledo, it's still feels a lot more like SE michigan than anything else in ohio.

yeah. something about tampa being on the gulf coast side of the state, versus orlando/miami on the east coast... tampa is also probably the most conservative metro in the state.
Tampa may be more conservative than the Miami / Orlando metros but not by much.
Jacksonville is the conservative metro that should be shoved across the Georgia state line.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Tampa may be more conservative than the Miami / Orlando metros but not by much.
Jacksonville is the conservative metro that should be shoved across the Georgia state line.
Jacksonville is fine right where it is...in Florida. It is not like Florida is some liberal bastion (creator/catalyst for stand your ground laws - Trayvon Martin, shooting teenagers for playing music in commercial area in early evening, Ft Lauderdale police, Pulse nightclub, etc). In north Florida, Tallahassee (which is less conservative than Jacksonville) has more in common with Georgia in general than Jacksonville.

Last edited by L41A; Apr 13, 2017 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:41 AM

Brisbane and Sydney*
Adelaide and Melbourne*

Definitely not the other way around. They don't speak the same language at all (so to speak) when it comes to the big things - football code, lifestyle, culture..!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:06 AM

Raleigh-Charlotte-Atlanta?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:11 PM
BANNED

This basically sums up the discussion, at least for US/US cities.

source

Houston is a hybrid, apart of the Texas Triangle and also apart of the Gulf Coast region.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
This basically sums up the discussion, at least for US/US cities.

source

Houston is a hybrid, apart of the Texas Triangle and also apart of the Gulf Coast region.
I think that map is definitely valid but provides an over-simplistic view based on geography/proximity alone not historical ties, architecture, culture, etc.

I would like to see the U.S. do a better job of developing these mega-regions and better connecting them. High Speed Rail, already existing in some form (Acela) in the Northeast and in the planning stages in California, Texas and the Midwest, could go a long way toward achieving that connectivity. Working on this scale would be easier than trying to connect the entire country which is already well-connected via air travel.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I think that map is definitely valid but provides an over-simplistic view based on geography/proximity alone not historical ties, architecture, culture, etc.

I would like to see the U.S. do a better job of developing these mega-regions and better connecting them. High Speed Rail, already existing in some form (Acela) in the Northeast and in the planning stages in California, Texas and the Midwest, could go a long way toward achieving that connectivity. Working on this scale would be easier than trying to connect the entire country which is already well-connected via air travel.
here here. the midwest is P A T H E T I C at cooperating as a region. western missouri antagonistic w/ kansas and eastern mo uncooperative/apathetic w/ illinois. illinois vs wisconsin. indiana vs illinois.

thus illinois going it alone w/ higher speed regional rail, basically single handedly trying to hold the region together when it can't hold itself together.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I think that map gets many regions right, but great lakes region is simply too vast.

The idea that Toronto and Kansas City are in the same megalopolis is laughaby absurd to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions