HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 7:00 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.. I don't know whether it's the business tax in Multnomah Co. or the desire for a sprawling campus. I don't really understand the corporate campus mentality, but I wish Multnomah County could make for an equal playing field - taxwise..

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Well designed mixed use

So many great things exist in Portland in a large part because of Nike: The growth and influence of Wieden and Kennedy; All of the splinter ad and creative agencies that Wieden has spurred; 8,000 good paying jobs; all of the creative global talent that calls Oregon home because of Nike; all of the splinter clothing designers that have come from Nike; a direct flight to Amsterdam where the company's European HQ is located.

As for the corporate campus approach--lots of companies like this for the same reason colleges do--the ability to maximize spaces for human interactions. On a very small level, the Wieden office is like this. It's pretty much hollow in the center, and there's lots of places to interact. This type of interaction just isn't possible in an office like Park Avenue West for example.

Knight and Nike don't get the credit and respect they deserve for their cultural impact on Portland. Having them on the waterfront would be epic--and sure as hell a lot more of a contribution than all of those soul-less towers in South Waterfront.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 2:32 AM

1-1-2013

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:20 PM
Well designed mixed use

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post
Great shot!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 9:07 PM

Yes, that is such a cool shot, took a double-take for me to realize that's SOWA!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 4:58 PM

I noticed the other day that the soil was being tested at the site of the newly proposed 6 story apartment building which would be just north of The Matisse. (Okay, I'm assuming they are testing the soil or maybe water with this equipment. Maybe someone can confirm this?) There is currently a warehouse there now. The fact that they were testing the soil made sense since we may see construction there soon. But this morning I noticed they were testing the soil at the block just south of the Atwater. Homer Williams owns this land and he has graciously let the neighborhood use it as a community garden. We were notified some time ago that he would be selling the land at some point so the garden would have to end. Does anyone know of any plans for this land? Here are a couple pictures taken this morning:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 6:00 AM

An update from a few days ago, including the first Zidell residential building (already you can tell that it's going to be exceptional, for the simple reason that it is NOT A BOX).

It feels like it's about to go next-level down there. If Nike chooses to build a 2nd campus on the Zidell land, look out. Also, they clearly are close to running cables and adding segments to the bridge.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 8:16 AM

I hope this is the right thread, but I head the viaduct for MAX through SoWa will also carry buses. That seems like a nice bonus given the cost. Does anyone know if that's the plan to connect the buses on SE Powell with the Transit Mall while avoiding the Ross Island Bridge?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:54 AM
Karma Police

Yes, that is true. The 9, 17 and 19 will all use the new bridge and Harbor viaduct. I think the 35 could possibly run on the viaduct as well.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:50 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Yes, that is true. The 9, 17 and 19 will all use the new bridge and Harbor viaduct. I think the 35 could possibly run on the viaduct as well.
Do you know the new routes on the SE side?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 8:17 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
Do you know the new routes on the SE side?
I don't think those have been finalized yet, but I'm sure we'll see big changes to all of the routes along the Orange line. The new Sellwood Bridge will also be opening about the same time.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 7:08 PM

Portland Development Bureau planning roundup
Jan 24, 2013, 10:15am PST UPDATED: Jan 24, 2013, 10:41am PST
Wendy Culverwell
Business Journal staff writer-
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...&ed=2013-01-24

Quote:

At River Place, a development group helmed by Homer Williams has asked the city to begin the design review process for a six-story, 203-room Hyatt House extended stay hotel at Southwest River Drive and Southwest River Parkway. Williams’ group, Riverplace Hotel Investors LLC, has an option to purchase the 1.12-acre property, formerly a steam plant operated by Pacific Power & Light Co., from the Portland Development Commission.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I don't think those have been finalized yet, but I'm sure we'll see big changes to all of the routes along the Orange line. The new Sellwood Bridge will also be opening about the same time.
I really hope they bring back Tacoma St to Downtown service. Having the MAX there will be nice, but being able to get to SW without having to go downtown would also be a big plus. That and having service along Tacoma again seems like a good way to bring up the MAX ridership, otherwise from most of Sellwood it'll just be easier to take the 70 up to the Holgate station.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 AM
PearlHelp.com

"The Emery" has a Facebook page setup already (w/ photos):

https://www.facebook.com/TheEmeryApartments

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 2:57 PM

Design advice request, including elevations, of new hotel at Riverplace, just south of the Strand condos.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Design advice request, including elevations, of new hotel at Riverplace, just south of the Strand condos.
...strange, I feel like I've seen that design somewhere...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 3:33 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
"The Emery" has a Facebook page setup already (w/ photos):

https://www.facebook.com/TheEmeryApartments
Very cool looking building, I can definitely see a string of these buildings popping up along that hillside.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:05 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Very cool looking building, I can definitely see a string of these buildings popping up along that hillside.
Indeed. If it ends up actually looking anything like that, it'll be great. I love the rich orange wood color (assuming that's what I'm seeing in the facebook image of it).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 8:34 AM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 10:23 PM

I sent in a request that they put in more commercial (retail) space. These plans only have 1,680 square feet for a building over 177,000 square feet! Not even 1%. The building South of block 43 (The Matisse?) has a good amount of commercial space on the west and south sides but nothing on the east side. It feels like a "dead block" to pedestrians. And now we will have two dead blocks in a row. I understand there is a surplus of commercial space down there right now but that will change. The occupancy of the buildings has really increased and we should get more foot traffic after the completion of the new bridge, collaborative sciences/school buildings and Max access. We need to think long term on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland