HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Doing so I imagine would require purchasing a lot of right-of-way/properties to make possible. In addition, any new stretch of interstate roadway connecting I-269 with I-555 would have to be built around Shelby Forest (most likely on the northern edge of the state park).
The I-69 Bridge is totally unneeded and needs killed with Fire. There's a perfectly fine, new bridge just south of there and I-69 needs to re align and use it instead. Those funds (if ever gained) needs to go for a southern bridge at Tunica that would tiie in I-40 around Lehi, to where I-69 currently stops at Tunica. Those two bridges would basically form a complete loop of Memphis. This would also tie in the industrial area of Marion where Hino and the intermodal yard is at with North MS.

Additionally, before a new I-69 Bridge is built the Bridge at Helena needs replaced as part of a second regional loop of Memphis. That's basically US412/I-155 from Paragould to Dyersburg, US412 Dyersburg to Jackson, US 45 from Jackson TN to Tupelo MS, US 278/US 49 from Tupelo to Helena, and Ark 1 from Helena to Jonesboro. Lot's of that is 4 lane divided that would need upgrades already.

Additionally, Brandywine Island is for sale. (Land for North Bridge) It's fantastic hunting but controlling poaching is a nightmare. My Family was once members that hunted it back in the day part of the land aquisition could be two fold. Right of Way and new Wildlife Management Areas. If you look at the map the island is Arkansas but the land between it and the levee on arkansas's side is Tennessee. The Statest could use this to do some land swapping to clean up the borders and even co-own Brandywine as a WMA.

Any new bridge in Memphis should also be built to include rail, even high speed, at least one at the bare minimum. We need a high speed rail line from Little Rock to Nashville with Memphis in the middle it would fork at the end of that segment. I feel it needs to have a connection to MEM International.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Doing so I imagine would require purchasing a lot of right-of-way/properties to make possible. In addition, any new stretch of interstate roadway connecting I-269 with I-555 would have to be built around Shelby Forest (most likely on the northern edge of the state park).
With a little give and take, a corridor could use an existing road to the river. I know it's taboo to take park land for roads but if you added land via Brandywine, it would be a net gain.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 8:45 PM

Another massive mixed-use project..in Germantown. That's what 3 in their city limits right now? Happy to see this kind of development but hoping for more in the core, either way sounds like a big plan.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...eloper-on.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Another massive mixed-use project..in Germantown. That's what 3 in their city limits right now? Happy to see this kind of development but hoping for more in the core, either way sounds like a big plan.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...eloper-on.html
This was the project that was proposed on this land prior.
http://www.lrk.com/projects/saddle-creek-town-center/

I believe the new developer is going in this direction. If the project looks similar to this, then a game changer all around for Germantown recent projects. Smart dense growth.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 1:15 PM

I believe this outfit did the mixed use between Cincinatti's two stadiums.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:18 PM

Apartments across from Overton Park along Sam Cooper-

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...park/99224130/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Apartments across from Overton Park along Sam Cooper-

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...park/99224130/
I think apartments would look good there, but I'm not sure what design they should go with. The other apartments from this developer seem very suburban. I think the residents of the area should have a conversation about what they would like for the neighborhood to look like in the future. That way, these apartments could reflect that.

This reminds me of talks of an all glass tower downtown. A lot of people are concerned that it would look out of place, but if we're going to modernize, there's going to be a sore thumb until the rest of the core catches up.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:01 AM

Why one real estate firm is setting up its U.S. headquarters in Memphis
Jacob Steimer, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
A Montreal-based, commercial real estate company is preparing to open its U.S. headquarters in Whitehaven... As it prepares to construct a 7,000-square-foot headquarters, Olymbec is seeking city assistance in remedying infrastructure issues related to the Whitehaven site, which sits at 1012 East Brooks Road, as well as tax incentives through the Economic Development Growth Engine (EDGE) for Memphis and Shelby County.... Berger said he doesn't yet know how much the project is going to cost, but a building permit for the property was filed Monday for $300,000.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...p-its-u-s.html

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:08 AM

Rooftop garden announced for AutoZone Park
Meagan Nichols, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The Memphis Redbirds just announced plans for the Miracle-Gro Rooftop Garden on the third-floor landing at AutoZone Park. The garden, which is currently under construction, will overlook the plaza inside the front gates located at B.B. King Boulevard and Union Avenue... The garden will utilize 3,200 linear feet of cypress lumber, and the raised garden beds will total about 1,200 square feet. The beds hold 80 cubic yards of soil.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...zone-park.html

rendering Courtesy: Memphis Redbirds

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:17 AM

FedExFamilyHouse to Break Ground on $12M Expansion
Daily News staff/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The $12 million project, which was announced last year, will triple the size of FedExFamilyHouse with the addition of a four-story tower connected to the current facility. When it opens in 2018, it will include 21 new suites, 30 hotel-style rooms for shorter stays, and community gathering spaces, enabling the facility to serve more families.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...ansion/#116709

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:42 AM

Atlanta company to develop 2.5 million-square-foot DeSoto business park

Quote:
An Atlanta-based developer is planning to build a 2.5 million-square-foot spec industrial park on 173 acres it recently acquired in DeSoto County.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...5-million.html

rendering Core5
Quote:
Building A of the DeSoto 55 Logistics Center will be a 582,400-square-foot facility...

rendering Core5

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:55 AM

Loeb Building Retail Center Near Overton Square
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The new 7,500-square-foot Midtown building, which will sit at the corner of Union Avenue and Diana Street, will include a restaurant with patio option, dedicated parking lot, Union Avenue frontage and “contemporary features.”... Demolition on the existing building, which was a former Valvoline Instant Oil Change location, will begin April 1, with construction on the new building beginning in May and wrapping up this fall.
Grinder, Taber & Grinder Inc. and brg3s architects will be heading up the construction and design efforts, respectively.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...verton-square/

rendering (brg3s architects/Loeb Properties)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:12 AM

Midtown Residents Bemoan MRG Multifamily Plan

Quote:
While details are not yet specific, the initial design calls for developing seven, five-story multifamily buildings total – two on vacant parcels on the north side of Sam Cooper Boulevard and five on the larger parcel to the south of Sam Cooper. “I believe that the best way to pull the fabric of the community together and to make this intersection a nicer place, is to pull the buildings closer to the right of way,” Parker said. “We’re recommending that the buildings be placed 10 to 20 feet from the right of way.” The plan will require moving the Hampline, which currently cuts through the vacant parcel to the north of Sam Cooper, closer to the street.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...tifamily-plan/

image (Makowsky Ringel Greenberg)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Midtown Residents Bemoan MRG Multifamily Plan

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...tifamily-plan/

image (Makowsky Ringel Greenberg)
Some people in that neighborhood are against this project, I want to see some type residential built there. Not sure what else would fit in that location

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Some people in that neighborhood are against this project, I want to see some type residential built there. Not sure what else would fit in that location

I wish they would go more mixed-use--- build off what's going on with Broad and sort of extend it to the park.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
I wish they would go more mixed-use--- build off what's going on with Broad and sort of extend it to the park.
I could get behind some mixed-use, but not a suburban apartment complex with shitty looking retention basins.

What I'd most like to see is single-family homes, especially on the south side. People against that say no one wants to live on Sam Cooper. Ok, so make a couple of cul-de-sacs off Autumn and have the houses back up to Sam Cooper. Build a large buffer of landscaped space for noise mitigation.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:30 AM

For Sale: 43-acre campus two miles from Overton Park

Quote:
The 43-acre property includes about 1 million square feet of space, including 550,000 square feet of warehouse space, 310,000 square feet of office space, a tier-one data center and a childcare facility, according to a marketing brochure from JLL.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...m-overton.html

photo MBJ

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:34 AM

Knoxville Hotel Group Buys Land Across From AutoZone Park

Quote:
Vision Hospitality Group, a Knoxville-based hotel company, just purchased a vacant parcel of land across from AutoZone Park – possibly paving the way for a new Downtown hotel just blocks from Beale Street... Prior to the 2014 purchase, Turkey Creek announced agreements to build a 118-room Hilton Garden Inn at Second Street and Linden Avenue, and a 300-room Hilton at Fourth Street and Linden, but neither project materialized.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...autozone-park/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:57 PM

Can someone please provide a summary of the Air Canada premium article. It sounds like they are thinking about Vancouver nonstops from my guessing what the Headline means.

That would be interesting.

I have thought foe sometime that Alaska should crank up a Seattle flight to MEM along with a complimentary (LA or San Fran) California route.

Jet Blue should do the same with Fort Lauderdale and Boston

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Can someone please provide a summary of the Air Canada premium article. It sounds like they are thinking about Vancouver nonstops from my guessing what the Headline means.
Air Canada looks at expanding service to MEM
Michelle Corbet, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Air Canada will start operating daily nonstop flights between Memphis and Toronto May 1. "We want to attract people from Asia and Europe to travel through Toronto and into Memphis."
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ce-to-mem.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations