HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
"...at the same time, American continues its mass service expansion from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in announcing new service to Cozumel & Montego Bay this past week."
Southwest and American are jockeying for position up there and AUS is reaping the benefits. Looking at load factors for some of those flights, it seems difficult to be making money. Now granted, these numbers are from September, a typically slow month, and load factors don't always determine profitability but some of these...it's gotta be hard for American to be making money on these routes.

Austin-Nashville 55% load factor

Austin-Indianapolis 52% load factor

Austin-Kansas City 49% load factor

Austin-El Paso 49% load factor

Austin-St Louis 46% load factor

Austin-Jacksonville 42% load factor

Austin-Aspen 42% load factor

Austin-Washington-Dulles 41% load factor

Austin-Cincinnati 39% load factor

Austin-Tampa 38% load factor

Austin-Reno 29% load factor

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:31 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post
Southwest and American are jockeying for position up there and AUS is reaping the benefits. Looking at load factors for some of those flights, it seems difficult to be making money. Now granted, these numbers are from September, a typically slow month, and load factors don't always determine profitability but some of these...it's gotta be hard for American to be making money on these routes.

^^^That's really interesting. From where do you get those numbers/data?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
^^^That's really interesting. From where do you get those numbers/data?
http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/F...ry.shtm#Submit

This website takes data from the DOT. It shows how many seats between routes and how many passengers flew on it during a calendar month, thus ending up with the load factor. International data is usually a few months behind, but is also included. Also included is payload carried.

https://www.transportation.gov/polic...airfare-report

This website shows how many passengers flew between city pairs, not including connections. Also shows the average of what people paid to fly and what airline has the highest and lowest market share between the route.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/F...ry.shtm#Submit

This website takes data from the DOT. It shows how many seats between routes and how many passengers flew on it during a calendar month, thus ending up with the load factor. International data is usually a few months behind, but is also included. Also included is payload carried.

https://www.transportation.gov/polic...airfare-report

This website shows how many passengers flew between city pairs, not including connections. Also shows the average of what people paid to fly and what airline has the highest and lowest market share between the route.
Sweet. Thank you.

Since these are new flights, I would expect the numbers to be lower. Also, It's my understanding that AA is going to relieve Hub pressure by using Austin as a connecting airport to these destinations - using both AA and their partnership with Alaska and BA.

Here's an interesting video on AA's current Austin strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfhfQu0Ynx0

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 5:22 PM

San Antonio scores lackluster rating in annual ranking of world airports

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=28014963

An annual ranking of world airports has pegged San Antonio's as one of the least-impressive major airports in Texas.

San Antonio International tied with Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport,
Dallas Love Field and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport for a lackluster three-star rating in air-industry consultant Skytrax's 2022 rankings. That scored indicates "staff service standards and production facilities are fair or average."

Meanwhile, Houston's William P. Hobby International Airport took the top ranking of five stars, and Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport landed four.

In naming Houston Hobby as Texas' top-ranked airport, Skytrax cited its "wide range of substantial guest experience upgrades to the terminal interiors, passenger facilities and customer service initiatives."

In contrast, the consulting firm reported that a "lack of retail and dining options in the pre-security area" hurt San Antonio International's score.

The Alamo City's middling star rating comes shortly after city council approved a $2.5 billion improvement plan for the airport, which includes the construction of a third terminal and 14 new gates. City officials hope to increase passenger traffic to 18 million annually over the next two decades.

Those flying in and out of SAT will have to wait a while before they see improvements, however. The plan is awaiting approval from the Federal Aviation Administration, and upgrades won't be completed until 2040.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 9:25 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:

Let's be fair here...The Delta variant was still rampant through the month of September. Obviously affecting air travel. Since COVID first appeared, we're seeing spikes every 4-6 months. I bet we'll see a downward trend for this month's numbers due to omicron.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 6:25 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Someone asked earlier about a "concourse D" being able to fit next to the new concourse C.... And I found the report that I remember seeing it in. Obviously some of the aircraft maintenance ops and shipping ops would have to relocate, but its totally doable.

RS&H Report

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 3:28 AM

December Passenger Stats

Domestic Enplanements: 360,805
Domestic Deplanements: 342,647
Total Domestic Passengers: 703,452

International Enplanements: 32,484
International Deplanements: 27,670

Total International Passengers: 60,154

Total December Passengers: 763,606

Total 2021 passengers: 7,464,662

https://flysanantonio.com/wp-content...-DEC-Stats.pdf

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:36 PM

Fly Away Valet making return landing at SA airport

Quote:
Fly Away Valet is relaunching its service at San Antonio International Airport after a lengthy hiatus.

It’s another sign that airport traffic in the Alamo City continues to increase after Covid-19 initially grounded most travel roughly two years ago.

The Michigan-based company expanded its operations to the Alamo City in January 2020. Two months later, it exited the market due to the pandemic.

“By March we had to shut it down,” Fly Away founding partner and CEO Darryl Daniels said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...a-airport.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:22 PM

Frontier Airlines relaunching SA flights to key U.S. markets
Quote:
Frontier Airlines is beefing up its presence in the Alamo City with plans to bring back service from San Antonio International Airport to Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, while also introducing new service to Philadelphia International Airport.

The new nonstop flights will expand San Antonio’s air connectivity with a pair of major markets as its airport continues to regain business lost after the outbreak of Covid-19.

Until now, Philadelphia has been San Antonio International’s largest unserved market since the onset of the pandemic. Prior to that, nearly 125,000 annual passengers traveled between the two cities.

“Atlanta is served by two carriers, so with the addition of Frontier’s new flight, the 297,000 annual passengers who fly between the two markets will have even more options,” said Brian Pratte, chief air service and marketing officer for the San Antonio Airport System.

The new route to Philadelphia will operate three times each week — on Monday, Wednesday and Friday — and those flights are scheduled to begin June 15.

The new service to Atlanta will launch on May 26 with weekly flights on Thursday and Friday.

As part of the launch, Frontier will offer introductory fares as low as $79.

Frontier will now offer service to five destinations from San Antonio: Atlanta, Philadelphia, Denver, Las Vegas and Orlando.

PHL was previously served solely by American pre-pandemic and was dropped when the onset of Covid hit. Total direct routes out of SAT will be at least 40 now beginning in June.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 4:08 PM

Spurs-themed Mexican airliner unveiled at San Antonio International Airport

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...s-16993085.php

The San Antonio Spurs' first branded airplane has officially taken flight. The Silver & Black-themed plane is a product of a partnership between the San Antonio NBA team and Mexican airliner Viva Aerobus that was announced in January.

On Friday, March 11, the first passengers on the newly minted Spurs Airbus A32 landed at the San Antonio International Airport with a water cannon salute after departing from Monterrey. The teaming of the brands marks Viva Aerobus' first international partnership.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Spurs-themed Mexican airliner unveiled at San Antonio International Airport

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...s-16993085.php

The San Antonio Spurs' first branded airplane has officially taken flight. The Silver & Black-themed plane is a product of a partnership between the San Antonio NBA team and Mexican airliner Viva Aerobus that was announced in January.

On Friday, March 11, the first passengers on the newly minted Spurs Airbus A32 landed at the San Antonio International Airport with a water cannon salute after departing from Monterrey. The teaming of the brands marks Viva Aerobus' first international partnership.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...g-their-spurs/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting quote...

Quote:
First and foremost, it’s ensuring that safety continues to be the pillar of everything that we do as we continue to get ourselves out of this horrific pandemic. But beyond that, maintaining and increasing the overall service development footprint. We have been able to add additional nonstop destinations here in the US and we aim to exponentially grow our international footprint with a heavy emphasis on Mexico, Latin America, Central America and the Caribbean, and then with hopes of moving toward Europe within the next 12-18 months.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Interesting quote...
Yes. I saw that and cringed. SAT "might" announce a route to Europe in the next 12-18 months. However, it will not start until the airport finishes a lengthened runway (at least 10-11,000 feet - if not longer).

So, with regard to a European route, I wouldn't hold your breath. Our neighbor 75 miles to the north has cornered the market on European routes for at least the near-to-medium term.

BA, Lufthansa, KLM, and Virgin Atlantic are not going to expand into SAT - anytime soon. If there was a route, I would expect it would be on a U.S. legacy airline. But, there too, I don't expect AA or United to step up. And, depending on what they end up doing (if anything) at ABIA, Delta might be out too. So...who knows. We shall see...

Additionally, it's a bit worrisome that airlines serving AUS have already started Caribbean and Central American routes ahead of SAT. Unlike European routes, I believe SAT can support Caribbean and Central American routes in conjunction to our neighbor's. Again, we'll see what happens over time.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 8:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

Additionally, it's a bit worrisome that airlines serving AUS have already started Caribbean and Central American routes ahead of SAT. Unlike European routes, I believe SAT can support Caribbean and Central American routes in conjunction to our neighbor's. Again, we'll see what happens over time.
Maybe SAT and AUS can both serve Central America (and Mexico) without competing completely. The demographics of each city are different enough that you might expect people to fly to either city for different reasons. Just conjecture.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Maybe SAT and AUS can both serve Central America (and Mexico) without competing completely. The demographics of each city are different enough that you might expect people to fly to either city for different reasons. Just conjecture.
That is basically what I was saying... However, flights to the Caribbean & Central America are going to be mostly leisure from both AUS & SAT. The "demographics" may come into play with regard to the overall level of service to said destination.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 5:49 AM

Quote:
That is basically what I was saying... However, flights to the Caribbean & Central America are going to be mostly leisure from both AUS & SAT. The "demographics" may come into play with regard to the overall level of service to said destination.
I wonder where in LatAm would have the demand for a direct from SAT or even AUS. Panama City or Medellin maybe?

edit: besides MX obviously.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I wonder where in LatAm would have the demand for a direct from SAT or even AUS. Panama City or Medellin maybe?

edit: besides MX obviously.
Most destinations to Latin (namely Central) America and the Caribbean would be for leisure. Austin already has flights to the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico (besides six, I think, locations in Mexico).

Panama City would be for both business and leisure.

I'm not sure links to Colombia (or anywhere in northern South America) are in AUS or SAT's near future.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 7:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I'm not sure why you put "demographics" in quotes, but just to clarify, I used it only to state succinctly what could otherwise have taken many words to say. I meant nothing by it other than the plain fact that the two cities do have different demographic balances in many categories. From a planning perspective, this fact will help guide the airlines in determining their flights.

(FYI, I put "demographics" in quotes because I was referring to it in the quoted context.)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Yes. I saw that and cringed. SAT "might" announce a route to Europe in the next 12-18 months. However, it will not start until the airport finishes a lengthened runway (at least 10-11,000 feet - if not longer).

So, with regard to a European route, I wouldn't hold your breath. Our neighbor 75 miles to the north has cornered the market on European routes for at least the near-to-medium term.

BA, Lufthansa, KLM, and Virgin Atlantic are not going to expand into SAT - anytime soon. If there was a route, I would expect it would be on a U.S. legacy airline. But, there too, I don't expect AA or United to step up. And, depending on what they end up doing (if anything) at ABIA, Delta might be out too. So...who knows. We shall see...

Condor to Frankfurt

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio