HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I did some quick calculations and was stunned that 1WTC is going to be 1800'8'' tall, when measured from the lowest entrance to the tip of the antenna. Wow.
You read it at WiredNewYork. The final height (not official) will be marked by the height of the lightning rod.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I hope I'm not being a PITA, but 15 Penn, GiraSole and Tower Verre would complete this. But then again, the first two might be blocked in that pic by the HY towers or the Manhattan West duo....or the first two might block the two duos. Looks to be the same for 50 West Downtown with the completed WTC complex (Edit: barely visible with a second look???). ANd I should add at least two imminent additions to 57th.
Any way I see it, if all goes well, this will be a mad crazy skyline.
BTW Nice superimposition of 432 Park; the dimensions look more realistic there. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with its height where it is, tho. ESB will inevitably lose her lone dominance...but while we wait for that to happen on the West Side, I'll haft get used to the new arrangement.
Whoa, I swear I had Torre Verre in there, but it looks like I missed it. You're right, I should add a few more significant proposals in there...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:30 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
You read it at WiredNewYork. The final height (not official) will be marked by the height of the lightning rod.
Yes, I read the 1801 figure so I was curious and added the height parameters you posted in your diagrams! The sum was 1800'8''. Could be wrong though... so what's the maximum height Otie?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:44 PM

[QUOTE=NewYorkDominates;5644244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post

leaving WTC by LUMIN8, on Flickr

How come the WFC looks so small when it's over 750 feet tall?
Sense of scale, man. Same thing that happens if you stand in between 1 WTC and 7 WTC, as I have done. They both look the same height - or they did last fall when I last visited - when you look up. Never mind that 1 WTC will be 2x the size of 7 WTC (in amount of floors) when it's all done. It's some serious mindf***ery.

Then - when you get to see 1 WTC from the south - the best view (I think?) being when you visit the 9/11 memorial park, you see 1 WTC and then go "WHOA! Now THAT'S huge!"

For me - having the tallest building in my entire home state being only 250ish feet high... 1400 feet is kinda a big deal for me! Lol. I remember looking at Rockfeller Center and the ESB for the first time, and trying to find their tops.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
When I was in New York, I noticed that my whole sense of scale seemed to go right out the window. Des Moines' tallest is 630 feet, and a block away it feels like it just goes on for forever, looming above you. But in New York, I'd see an interesting building, jot down the street corner, look it up later, and be stunned that what seemed to be a mid-rise building was 650, 700 feet. Your city is just crazy like that.
Yup!

For people who have a hard time imagining the size of NY's buildings, you can use the "Diagrams" page here at Skyscraperpage (see menu above) and enter your city's tallest building compared with NY's buildings.

As an example, I selected Des Moines' tallest building and Nashville's tallest (mentioned by NewYorkDominates), and placed them next to the WFC and 1 WTC so you can get a good idea of heights:

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=54207152

Pretty amazing, huh?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:49 PM
Bionic Boogie

mostly cloudy and rainy...some thunderstorms....

DSC_0051 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Thanks, I'll try to do one from this angle at some point. In the meantime, here are a couple more photomontages, looking from the north, with the WTC complex anchoring Lower Manhattan.

wow these are perfect, they look gorgeous, thank you for posting these. I really can't wait for the whole wtc site to be finished now cause it looks amazing in these pics, great job. And 432 park doesn't look to bad on the skyline either.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Thanks, I'll try to do one from this angle at some point. In the meantime, here are a couple more photomontages, looking from the north, with the WTC complex anchoring

Something about this picture gives a sense of a futuristic city,something from like Star Wars.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:48 PM

It is a "futuristic city", it's NYC in 2020

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:48 PM

The steel reached the 100th floor today.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:53 PM
BANNED

The steel's been at the 100th floor...?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:01 PM

The 101st floor, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, what's the deal with this? Is steel going up to 102/3/whatever already, or are they just finishing the 101st perimeter?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:07 PM

380 meters

what height is the tower by now ??

did we reached 380 meters ?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:12 PM
BANNED

More steel went up? hmmmmm the safety netting hasn't been raised yet, or has it? Unless core columns maybe? And that picture above is cool, but I'd hate to see New York like that just saying :/ I love the classic buildings but those kind of buildings would drown out all art deco.....& what's so significant about 280 meters? That's only 1,247 feet...nothing important

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modulair View Post
what height is the tower by now ??

did we reached 380 meters ?
We are at 1248 feet. Next jump would make it taller than the Empire State Building. It would be 1,254 feet (382 meters) while the Empire State Building is 1,250 feet defeating it by 4 extra feet.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:22 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
More steel went up? hmmmmm the safety netting hasn't been raised yet, or has it? Unless core columns maybe? And that picture above is cool, but I'd hate to see New York like that just saying :/ I love the classic buildings but those kind of buildings would drown out all art deco.....& what's so significant about 280 meters? That's only 1,247 feet...nothing important
1,247 feet is way above 280 meters. 1 WTC is about to cross the 400-meter mark, the 4th after 3 American skyscrapers ever to do so. And we all know very well that two of them have a connection with this guy.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:23 PM

Can someone say Corasant. lol

So whats up with the new steel?!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
1,247 feet is way above 280 meters. 1 WTC is about to cross the 400-meter mark, the 4th after 3 American skyscrapers ever to do so. And we all know very well that two of them have a connection with this guy.
I made a typo, I meant 380 meters.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
What's the radius of the Spire?3 ft.?

Also,someone mentioned the notion for Alain Robert to possibly climb the 1WTC.I believe he's going to leave the tower alone as this is sacred ground and shouldn't be a site to fool around climbing with the possibility of death,unless it's planned like the Burj Khalifa which I doubt New York would let anyone do.
From the current design, the widest section of the radome is located at the "110th" level, just below were the strakes begin, being ~24' in diameter from external face to external face of the fiberglass panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Yes, I read the 1801 figure so I was curious and added the height parameters you posted in your diagrams! The sum was 1800'8''. Could be wrong though... so what's the maximum height Otie?
You'll have to take Bob's word, I only have information of the architectural radome, as far as I'm aware the rod hasn't been fully designed yet.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 12:00 AM

Not to be snarky, but:

1 meter = 3 3/8 feet or 1 and nearly 1/2 yards...but skyscrapers aren't measured that way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive