HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 1:12 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Can we just take in that Red Bulls beat NYCFC 7-0 LOL
Yeah, that makes no sense with NYCFC's firepower, I'll have to watch that in full lol

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 9:24 AM

MLS Salary analysis over the last 5 years

http://3rdlinegrind.com/2016/05/22/m...l-report-2016/

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:53 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Clueless post, absolutely clueless, stick to posting about kids playing tennis.
Truth hurts, I know... Any self respecting soccer country would have played such an important game on grass (BMO) but Canada has to do things to amateurish way.

Also please remind me what good has come out of that so called president? Maybe you consider our all-time lowest FIFA ranking a good thing.

Here is Canada's FIFA ranking history. Notice something? Keep in mind, Montagliani became president in 2012...

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:57 AM
Go Chiefs!

The Impact are playing awfully frustrating soccer at the moment. We have scored first in our last 5 games but every time we lost the lead. And now Ciman is going to the Euro and won't be back until August.

The team had a good thing going (successful start of the season, Drogba effect, sellouts) but I am afraid, fans will become pissed soon if this doesn't change.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:17 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Also please remind me what good has come out of that so called president? Maybe you consider our all-time lowest FIFA ranking a good thing.

Here is Canada's FIFA ranking history. Notice something? Keep in mind, Montagliani became president in 2012...
Our current FIFA ranking is a reflection of the decisions made a generation ago. Even the most amazing FA president ever could not magically turn a crop of poorly developed players into world beaters.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 5:04 AM
Go Chiefs!

While this is true, the same applied to previous presidents and the Canadian team has never this bad. It's all downhill after 2012.

As for the Impact, without Ciman and Cabrera our defense is even more horrendous. So the best way the win is to score goals.

We had to score 3 times in order to beat the LA Galaxy including Drogba's bomb (thanks to the LA goalie for that one) on the last play of the game.

Piatti also scored and added an assist in order to keep pace with Giovinco for the Golden Boot with 8 goals.
Drogba is not too far behind with 5 goals (4 assists).

MUCH needed win!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Can we just take in that Red Bulls beat NYCFC 7-0 LOL
I was at this match. It was unbelievable. I've never seen such a bizarre performance...NYCFC just had no defenders doing anything competent at all.

The atmosphere at Yankee Stadium was really impressive for a second-year team. The dislike between the two teams was very strong with NYRB being dubbed the New Jersey team and thus vehemently hated by NYCFC fans. NYRB showed up with a good supporters group, lots of NYCFC fans got into it, and there was a fight a couple sections over from me. Proper footy. Any time NYCFC (and at times NYRB) got within 25 yards with the ball the entire end of the stand stood. It was a great atmosphere and really impressed.

There was an attendance of 38K at the game which I found very impressive. If they ever built their own soccer-specific stadium in Manhattan they could easily attain 25K/match with up to 40K/45K for derby matches like this.

2016-05-21 03.49.52 1
by J Hikka, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:46 PM
City Maker

Quote:
While this is true, the same applied to previous presidents and the Canadian team has never this bad. It's all downhill after 2012.
In the past, the CSA could have applied stop-gap measures for short-term benefits but I think they are really pressing along with a longer term plan. The LTPD model is great but getting an entire country to buy-in can be difficult. The best club in Calgary has bought-in and is doing very well yet most of the other clubs in the city are still trying to do it "their way", which has resulted in nothing but failure in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It was a great atmosphere and really impressed.
It looks like pretty awkward venue on TV so that's nice to hear.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
It looks like pretty awkward venue on TV so that's nice to hear.
It's a baseball stadium so of course it's an awkward venue. I had good end stand seats but I wouldn't want to sit anywhere on the sidelines. In the end the atmosphere was great and better than other MLS games i've attended (looking at you, Columbus ) and I feel if they had an actual proper stadium it would be a tremendous market for the league.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:59 AM

Quote:
If they ever built their own soccer-specific stadium in Manhattan they could easily attain 25K/match with up to 40K/45K for derby matches like this.
I really can't see them building a soccer-specific stadium in Manhattan. The land would be extremely expensive for something that won't generate that much revenue. They didn't even build the new Giants/Jets stadium there, and those 2 teams sit in the top 6 of NFL franchise valuations.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:45 AM
ハルウララ

Ottawa FC defeat Vancouver Whitecaps 2-0 in front of 9,057 at TD Place tonight. Big win in the first leg of the Canadian Championship semi-final in Ottawa's first ever game in the actual tournament.

TFC 4-2 over Montreal in front of 22,143 in Toronto in their tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I really can't see them building a soccer-specific stadium in Manhattan. The land would be extremely expensive for something that won't generate that much revenue. They didn't even build the new Giants/Jets stadium there, and those 2 teams sit in the top 6 of NFL franchise valuations.
Indeed. Their original proposal was to build a stadium on Hudson River lands in West Manhattan but that was scuttled by local opposition. Their Bronx plan also seems unlikely, so it appears as though they'll be moving out to Queens or Brooklyn eventually.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Ottawa FC defeat Vancouver Whitecaps 2-0 in front of 9,057 at TD Place tonight. Big win in the first leg of the Canadian Championship semi-final in Ottawa's first ever game in the actual tournament.

TFC 4-2 over Montreal in front of 22,143 in Toronto in their tie.

Indeed. Their original proposal was to build a stadium on Hudson River lands in West Manhattan but that was scuttled by local opposition. Their Bronx plan also seems unlikely, so it appears as though they'll be moving out to Queens or Brooklyn eventually.
Vancouver had to at least win 3 nothing tonight and they did it!
Couldn't find the attendance but had to be at least 22000? Tor Mon Darby only drew that amount??

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 10:12 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Vancouver had to at least win 3 nothing tonight and they did it!
Couldn't find the attendance but had to be at least 22000? Tor Mon Darby only drew that amount??
Yeah, Montreal broke their record for home attendance at a Canadian Championship game, 18,000+ in attendance. Looks like all the Canadian Championship games (ACC) are setting records. The games are passionate, attendance good and teams are competitive. Finally we have a meaningful national Championship that will only get better as the Canadian Premier League prepares to join in with even more city teams, the rivalries and David and Goliath battles make it feel like a Canadian La Liga

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:26 PM
ハルウララ

Canadian Championship Attendance
As of June 9th, 2016
TOTAL: 74,973
AVG: 12,496 (six matches)

Toronto FC - 1 Match - 22,143 AVG - 22,143 TOTAL
Montreal Impact - 1 Match - 18,964 AVG - 18,964 TOTAL
Vancouver Whitecaps - 1 Match - 17,863 AVG - 17,863 TOTAL
Ottawa FC - 2 Matches - 6,502 AVG - 13,003 TOTAL
FC Edmonton - 1 Match - 3,000 AVG - 3,000 TOTAL

Previous Canadian Championships
2016 - 12,496 AVG - 74,973 TOTAL (through Six Matches)
2015 - 11,106 AVG - 88,844 TOTAL (Eight Matches)
2014 - 11,492 AVG - 91,937 TOTAL (Eight Matches)
2013 - 12,317 AVG - 73,903 TOTAL (Six Matches)
2012 - 12,632 AVG - 75,789 TOTAL (Six Matches)
2011 - 13,744 AVG - 82,463 TOTAL (Six Matches)

It seems likely the CC will breach 100K spectators for the first time in its history.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 6:23 PM

Nice work Canadian soccer fans!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 5:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Nice work Canadian soccer fans!
Yes, it's really nice seeing this sport growing.

I will be cheering for Belgium in the Euro thanks to Ciman. They lost today but I believe they will finish second in their group. He's 1 of only 3 MLS players to participate in the Euro and for the first time ever a player will represent a Canadian club on the World stage.

Last edited by Nicko999; Jun 14, 2016 at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's really nice seeing this sport growing.

I will be cheering for Belgium in the Euro thanks to Ciman. They lost today but I believe they will finish second in their group. He's 1 of only 3 MLS players to participate in the Euro and for the first time ever a player will represent a Canadian club on the World stage.
Huh? Steven Beitashour represented Iran in the 2014 world cup while playing for the Whitecaps.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 11:11 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Huh? Steven Beitashour represented Iran in the 2014 world cup while playing for the Whitecaps.
Cool, didn't know that. He was however, an unused substitute so he didn't actually play a single minute in the World Cup.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:20 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Cool, didn't know that. He was however, an unused substitute so he didn't actually play a single minute in the World Cup.
Giovinco has also represented Italy since joining TFC. Bradley also captained the US national team at the last world cup. This is just off the top of my head.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 2:02 PM
ハルウララ

Toronto FC avg. att. through 5 matches
2016 - 28,262
2015 - 25,286
2014 - 22,591
2013 - 19,284
2012 - 19,022

Montreal Impact avg. att. through 6 matches
2016 - 22,134
2015 - 15,216
2014 - 20,711
2013 - 22,032
2012 - 33,267

Vancouver Whitecaps avg. att. through 9 matches
2016 - 22,026
2015 - 20,752
2014 - 20,987
2013 - 19,770
2012 - 19,123

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada