HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 1:51 PM

Hopefully the reno of the former Bay store will result in the powerwashing or replacement of the cladding on the Chebucto Rd side to eliminate the black mould/fungus/moss growth that has disfigured that structure for years.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:02 PM

To pull an old thread out of hibernation, I came across a few pics from the Municipal archives which show the old Simpson's/West End Mall, so I figured this would be a good spot to post them...

All of the photos below include the Simpson's/West End Mall area, and were found by searching for "Simpson" at the Municipal Archives site (sorry, but some of the photos are quite large): http://gencat1.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/request/DoMenuRequest?SystemName=Halifax+Regional+Municipality+Archives&UserName=WA+Public&Password=&TemplateProcessID=6000_20185_20185&CMD_(SearchRequest)[11]=&PromptID=&ParamID=&RequesterType=SearchTemplate&browseData=1&Keyword=0&SearchLogic=%26Logic%3D%26S1%3DPOI1_1225%261POI1_1225%3D827

Quote:
Item consists of an aerial photograph of the Simpson's department store building in the west end of Halifax, which first opened in 1919. The photograph depicts the store probably during the 1920's.
Note: check out the old Halifax Municipal Airport in the background - now the location of the Westmount subdivision.

Dec. 5, 1962:
Quote:
Item consists of an aerial photo looking northeast above the Armdale Rotary up towards Bayer's Road and Connaught Ave., showing Westmount, the former John Thompson School, St. Agnes School, the rail-line, the Halifax Shopping Centre and the Simpson's complex, as they are being developed. In the lower right, you can see the Northwest Arm ferry dock at the bottom of Quinpool Road.

April 26, 1963:
Quote:
Item consists of an oblique aerial photograph that centres on the Simpson's-Sears building. Joseph Howe Dr., Mumford Rd., the Armdale Rotary, and part of Chocolate Lake are all in view. AAS negative number 2783.

Quote:
Item consists of an aerial photograph of the store after it had been renamed Simpsons-Sears and after significant urban development had occurred around the store, possibly in the 1960's

Halifax Shopping Centre/Mumford Rd., early 1960's:
Quote:
File consists of images of the sidewalks and parking lot on the Mumford side of the Halifax Shopping Centre. Image 230.2 looks east on Mumford and 230.3 looks west. Signs for Eaton's and Simpsons can be seen in the photographs, as can a few pedestrians.

From CNR bridge, June 1968:

June 26, 1968 ('59 Dodge, by the way):
Quote:
File consists of images of the salvaged auto parts and cars parked (abandoned?) on the property. Images 1055.1 and 1055.2 show the back yard with laundry hanging on the line in the background, and image 1055.2 depicts the front driveway looking toward the road. Across the street is what looks like the [Simpsons-Sears] store (7101 Chebucto Rd).

Aug. 7, 1978:

I tried to post them in chronological order to help illustrate the changes over time...

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:16 PM

I never knew Simpsons had a spur line built off of the main CN tracks.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I never knew Simpsons had a spur line built off of the main CN tracks.
I have memories of one or two retired steam engines being stored there around the late sixties or early seventies. I haven't found any photos to support this memory, though, but I do know that Canadian companies ran steam for quite a while after the US companies switched to diesel...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General