HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 1:15 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This is actually an excellent visualization of why we don't see more supertall construction in the U.S. From an economic standpoint, if this tower offers the same leased square footage as 55 Water... what's the point?
You might not have as much room at 55 Water did and I doubt we will ever see that much open space ever again in nyc so you need to build up

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 1:25 AM

Quote:
This is actually an excellent visualization of why we don't see more supertall construction in the U.S. From an economic standpoint, if this tower offers the same leased square footage as 55 Water... what's the point?
You hit the nail on the head, and that applies to anywhere in the world you go today. When you get above...you know, 1000ft, its not such a strong proposition anymore for the extra height.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 1:53 AM
Heavy User

^Unless you want something symbolic OR you want to make a return on a lot with a smaller footprint.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 2:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Correct. Keep in mind that early on in the process, Larry Silverstein floated the idea of building four, 50-story buildings, and hardly anyone thought we would be getting another supertall built on the site. Then there was public rumblings which eventually led to the "Listening to the City" event at the Javits Center. Basically the public wanted another "iconic skyline element" to replace the WTC, and you eventually got what we have now.

banjaxx

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:55 AM

wow!!!is this tower ever climbing and so massive!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:13 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
too bad there's no more room to build buildings that big in NYC, that's why we gotta go up.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:42 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Sure, there's plenty of room. You don't think 55 Water is the first building ever put in that plot, do you?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I've reposted those stories over in the 2 WTC thread where it's being discussed.

Shots from todays Discovery cams...

thanks for sharing. I didn't even know wtc2 had its own page. Just one more quick question about 2. I know it's being built to the ground level. Do you know if it's 100 percent going to be built to it's specs? SOmeone was saying they wanted to just make it like 5 floors.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 12:54 PM

I was under the impression that anything with more than 70 office floors started nosediving in efficiency from the increasing elevator requirement eating floor space. I know WTC1 is so tall because so much of the mechanical infrastucture is contained in the building instead of being external, but I'm not sure if that's a better way to build or just more efficient when you want a 1358 (give or take) building without going over said 70 office floors.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post
I didn't even know wtc2 had its own page. Just one more quick question about 2. I know it's being built to the ground level. Do you know if it's 100 percent going to be built to it's specs? SOmeone was saying they wanted to just make it like 5 floors.
There's an ongoing discussion about Tower 2 over in that thread...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=130301

in.formed

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:31 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

What is going on across the street at WFC? I see a crane over there...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:58 PM
New Yorker for life

^ That's related to the PATH/WFC connector.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158432

This is the last year we'll see the lower Manhattan skyline not dominated by a supertall building. It will have been ten years, but it's coming...

JONI Services LLC

OranUtanSam

Look closely, and you can see the cranes rising behind the WFC...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:18 PM
Editor

Very impressive the last shot! Just imagine how that will look like by the towers completion.

Nice shot from SSC:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...19362&page=890

Last edited by OneWorldTradeCenter; Nov 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:39 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

please provide a link to pictures, not just the name of the website! thank you!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:51 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
I was under the impression that anything with more than 70 office floors started nosediving in efficiency from the increasing elevator requirement eating floor space. I know WTC1 is so tall because so much of the mechanical infrastucture is contained in the building instead of being external, but I'm not sure if that's a better way to build or just more efficient when you want a 1358 (give or take) building without going over said 70 office floors.

it's actually about 80 floors, where skylobbies generally become a necessity.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 7:21 PM

The CTUBH website now has the indoor observation deck at 1313 ft (this is what wikipedia has recently used to update its One WTC page, which previously had the 1266 ft figure). Is this true? If it is not, where would that new figure have come from?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 8:07 PM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 8:42 PM
Metal Up Your !

Why is the facade going up so slow? I'm not impatient, it's just a thought/question.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Why is the facade going up so slow? I'm not impatient, it's just a thought/question.
All of the glass above the first row is going to be placed based on the first glass. They have to get it perfect or the rest will be a hassle.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamatzu View Post
All of the glass above the first row is going to be placed based on the first glass. They have to get it perfect or the rest will be a hassle.
can someone explain as to why the facade is being installed by placing every other glass panel? i cant figure it out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive