HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 7:58 PM

I can only imagine those kids getting to school and looking up and saying, "WOW!! NYC is amazing!".

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I can only imagine those kids getting to school and looking up and saying, "WOW!! NYC is amazing!".
It's funny, because they will grow up thinking this (school) is normal, that it's the way things are supposed to be.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 7:30 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday (crazy, I know) and noticed that Beekman will entirely block the view of the Woolworth from the vista there, so get out and take pictures of it from the bridge because that vantage point will be gone in a few months.

It's amazing, because for so long the project sat in relative limbo and all of the sudden there is a huge massive skyscraper there. It was probably only four stories tall in September.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 5:53 PM

anyone take any recent pics of Beekman? I bet it has risen at least six or seven floors since the last photos.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday (crazy, I know) and noticed that Beekman will entirely block the view of the Woolworth from the vista there
Are you really upset about that ? I'm not. Beekam Place is a piece of forward looking architecture, much better than the neo-gothic Woolworth, nice, but not innovative, even for its time.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 7:14 PM
Don't tear anything down.

Fabb, you have got to be kidding me. So what if it's not "INNOVATIVE"? You want a skyline to look BEAUTIFUL not INNOVATIVE. The Woolworth tower is a piece of New York history, it happens to be extremely beautiful even if it's a century old. To make a not very good analogy here, people often comment on the ability of musicians to play their instruments while ignoring what counts - the sound that actually comes out of the instrument. How "innovative" or "complex" or "hard" something is doesn't matter as much as how it actually turns out to be - the final image, sound, feel, smell, what have you of any given creative product. THAT is what people will remember and THAT is what makes a piece of expression great. To me, anyway.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post
Fabb, you have got to be kidding me. So what if it's not "INNOVATIVE"? You want a skyline to look BEAUTIFUL not INNOVATIVE.
Beekman Place will probably turn out to be both, don't you think ?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 3:41 PM
New Yorker for life

^ This tower will be beautiful in its own right. I'm not someone who believes that just because something is new, it can't be as beautiful as something old. We have to look to the future as well as remember the past. But we can't live in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
anyone take any recent pics of Beekman? I bet it has risen at least six or seven floors since the last photos.
I may get some over the next couple of days.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

DECEMBER 26, 2008

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 6:30 AM

thank you kind sir.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 6:45 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Are you really upset about that ? I'm not. Beekam Place is a piece of forward looking architecture, much better than the neo-gothic Woolworth, nice, but not innovative, even for its time.
I'm not sure. More than anything else I'm just stating that it's a famous vista to us now that won't exist ever again and will become a totally new famous vista in a few months time and we should relish this opportunity to observe a very dramatic period in the history of the city.

From the bridge, Woolworth has always sort of stuck out from the rest of the downtown skyline. It's something that is simply going to pass.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 3:36 PM

A very beautiful building , and they build it a best place ,is perfectly fit that part of lower manhattan.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 8:03 PM
New Yorker for life

One more to go with that set...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
Time/Space

This tower is massive! Can't wait for some cladding.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 7:49 AM
Everywhere all at once

OH

MY

GOD

smileys are fun.....NYGuy I like that last one. All we need now is the Cloverfield monster JK

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 10:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
.....NYGuy I like that last one. All we need now is the Cloverfield monster JK
That always crosses my mind when I'm up there. The Brooklyn Bridge always takes the hit in these movies (its never the Williamsburgh or any of the other million bridges in the city). But it is a favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc
This tower is massive!
It's a massive and tall, looming tower. This will be the tallest (for now) residential tower in the city, and it occured to me just how close it will be to the 30 Park Place tower (Silverstein's 921 ft tower rising behind the Woolworth). While both will block the Woolworth from some views, the duo will form a new, dynamic cluster with the Woolworth.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 7:42 PM
International

A truly gargantuan tower!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:26 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
One more to go with that set...

Wow, it's just going to completely obstruct the view of the Woolworth's, at least from that angle!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:09 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

This thing's going to be amazing! I think it's got to be Gehry's most normal looking building, though.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 12:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
This thing's going to be amazing! I think it's got to be Gehry's most normal looking building, though.
It'll actually look a lot like a classic New York skyscraper, yet at the same time, something completly different.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive