HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 11:22 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Where might you find vintage travel posters in Calgary?

My brothers girl lost much of her collection of travel posters during their recent move and I would like to try replacing them for her.

I have been able to find a couple of them on eBay, but they are much smaller than the originals.

I found a dealer in Los Angeles I will visit on my next trip down there that says they can print most of them on demand, but for the moment their walls are looking pretty bare.

Any ideas where I might find a few locally?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
My brothers girl lost much of her collection of travel posters during their recent move and I would like to try replacing them for her.

I have been able to find a couple of them on eBay, but they are much smaller than the originals.

I found a dealer in Los Angeles I will visit on my next trip down there that says they can print most of them on demand, but for the moment their walls are looking pretty bare.

Any ideas where I might find a few locally?
I don't know if they're still open, but there used to be a shop in town called the Movie Poster Shop. They had thousands upon thousands of posters, so they might have something. I'm sure they couldn't all be movie posters...could they?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 2:13 PM

Do they need to be "originals"? If not, go to allposters.com. They have a huge selection of vintage posters there. Just drop "vintage" in your search. BTW, they almost always have a 20%-25% off sale.

If you stick to ordering unframed posters, the shipping charges aren't bad.

Hmm, seems they also have a fairly big collection of Calgary skyline prints and posters.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 8:11 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
I don't know if they're still open, but there used to be a shop in town called the Movie Poster Shop. They had thousands upon thousands of posters, so they might have something. I'm sure they couldn't all be movie posters...could they?
Pretty much all old movie, TV, actor, and advertisement (IE: Coca Cola) posters there. It is on 16 Avenue and Center Street NW with King Kong climbing the building.

My suggestion would be to contact Fort Calgary, the provincial archives, Calgary's tourism board, or even the Glenbow. They may be able to provide some information or even replicas. Heritage Park may be another source too.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 9:22 PM
Construction Enthusiast

not local, but I ordered posters from http://www.greatmodernpictures.com/.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 10:31 PM
Inflatable Hippo

The missing favorites are a pair of TWA ads from 1951, one for New York and one for Los Angeles. A Union Pacific ad for Las Vegas from 1960 and a Delta ad for Jamaica from the 70's.

There were a few others, but those are the ones she is choked about. She laid them flat in a thin ikea box, that would have felt empty to the touch and that box was probably thrown away.

While originals, they were worth very little.

With the exception of the TWA New York one all of them are available on eBay - but barely half the size of the originals.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 11:06 PM
Inflatable Hippo

This is the artist my sister-in-law is so crazy about: http://www.davidkleinart.com/Home.html

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 12:54 AM
IMHO

^^^ Very cool. I especially like the Broadway poster for "The Man in the Dog Suit".

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:04 AM

Interesting work. Now I know what you mean by travel posters. But it's going to take a lot more than a poster to get people to Kansas City!!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 9:11 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Do they need to be "originals"? If not, go to allposters.com. They have a huge selection of vintage posters there. Just drop "vintage" in your search. BTW, they almost always have a 20%-25% off sale.

If you stick to ordering unframed posters, the shipping charges aren't bad.

Hmm, seems they also have a fairly big collection of Calgary skyline prints and posters.
I would second allposters, the number of all sorts of posters and art prints are... mindblowing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 3:15 PM

What kind of travel posters are you looking for? I personally like the London Underground Posters, you can order them through the London Transport Museum Shop. My fav is the Notting Hill Carnival.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation