HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:53 PM

Name one thing you like about Calgary

Hi...I've been reading this forum for quite sometime but was always too lazy to register. But I've finally done it

I thought it would be a good idea to see what was the greatest attribute about Calgary that attracts visitors/residents, seeing how the city has changed in many ways and has become "multi-faceted" in other areas.

For me, I would say the best thing about Calgary is the sunset, which is lingering and has different colors. In cities like toronto/montreal, there is no sunset - just light outside, then in 5 minutes, dark.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
Hi...I've been reading this forum for quite sometime but was always too lazy to register. But I've finally done it

I thought it would be a good idea to see what was the greatest attribute about Calgary that attracts visitors/residents, seeing how the city has changed in many ways and has become "multi-faceted" in other areas.

For me, I would say the best thing about Calgary is the sunset, which is lingering and has different colors. In cities like toronto/montreal, there is no sunset - just light outside, then in 5 minutes, dark.
I think what attracts people here is simple: jobs. Well, for me, it was jobs and affordable housing, but the second one is gone now. Perhaps the question should be: "What keeps us here?"

I've already answered the question about what I think Calgary's greatest asset is. It's the Bow River pathway system, and to a lesser extent, the neighbourhood pathways.

The sunsets are great, but not nearly as great as the sunrises, if you can get up early enough to catch them.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 7:29 PM

Tsumetai, welcome to the forum! I hope we see more from you! One thing I like about Calgary is its proximity to the playgrounds such as the mountains.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 7:33 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

The ever changing skyline!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:35 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Highway 1 West...LOL

Actually, in all seriousness, I'm a huge Flames fan.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:42 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I always wanted to move here because of 1) the mountains and 2) the economy.

More than just the mountains - they're national parks. Plenty of places in Canada have beautiful scenery but it's slowly being eroded by development (think BC just past the Rockies, for one). National parks see just about zero development, and retain their (mostly) natural beauty. The combination of Banff/Jasper/Yoho/Kootenay is unbeatable.

As a result, the mountains never change, and even in the worst times the economy here has fared better (for my circumstances) than most other places. But I didn't live here in the early 80s. What I have seen in every visit here (and now living here) is a vibrant, ever-changing city where there's always something new and exciting happening. Whether it's just some lame mall, or 4 40+ storey towers going up at the same time, or major road infrastructure, it's always a hopping place. You could even say dynamic.

Oh, maybe 3) the C-train. I'll always be a downtown office drone, and I'll always want to live a bit outside of downtown. Plus, driving to work every day would annoy me, so I need a fast and reliable public transit system. Calgary is one of only a handful of places in Canada that can claim this - if you plan for it. Obviously the C-train doesn't cover everywhere, etc, etc, but if you locate yourself on a line, it's freaking awesome.

Edit: that was 3 things. Tough. It's just too hard to choose between all the great stuff here.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

It's always been my home, and always will be.

Welcome to the forum tsumetai!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:13 PM
Round Head

There's a lot I like and some things I dislike about Calgary, but above all it has amazing potential.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:21 PM

Space - its a vibrant metropolis, that can be escaped by driving 20 minutes in any direction. Nothing I like more than getting on my motorcycle, heading west for 20 minutes, then stoping and relaxing....

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:23 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I would have to agree with Wooster. Lots of things that I dislike about Calgary, but it is my home and I love many things about it. Potential is the greatest thing about it and the fact that it is changing at such a great rate. It is great to be part of that change. Most of the other cities I like are already great, so there isn't much room for improvement.

If I said the best thing about Calgary was that is isn't Winnipeg, would that get me into trouble with some other forumers (1ajs, I am looking at you)? Just kidding of course.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:34 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
There's a lot I like and some things I dislike about Calgary, but above all it has amazing potential.
Yep.

There are a few things that I really like (and miss) about Calgary. Namely:

-The mountain views
-The extent of the pathway system for weekend rides
-Chinooks in winter

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:34 PM
Construction Enthusiast

... that its home.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:38 PM
IMHO

One thing I like about Calgary

Here's one:

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:45 PM
Editor

There are alot of things I like about Calgary. Too many to list one thing.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:16 PM

The natural environment and extensive parks system is the best thing IMO.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:21 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Calgary is meritocratic. Nobody cares about the colour of your skin, who "your people" are, whether you graduated from UCC or McGill or the "right" college at U of T. All that matters is if you can do the job, and then your rewards are only limited by your vision and your effort. Want a film festival? Don't glad-hand with the reigning "arts community"; START ONE YOURSELF as the founders of CIFF did in 2000. Want an indie music fest? START ONE YOURSELF instead of begging for scraps from NXNE as the founders of Sled Island did two years ago. Really loved the Jamba Juice you had in LA but can't get franchise rights to open it up in Canada? START ONE YOURSELF as the founders of Jugo Juice did.

Calgary is a city where one can achieve that stereotyped "American Dream" with all its apocryphal (in the US) myths of meritocracy. It really exists here. Yet Calgary is resolutely Canadian.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:48 AM
恭喜发财!

The mountains, lack of crowds, wide open spaces, and generally polite people.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:08 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Calgary is meritocratic. Nobody cares about the colour of your skin, who "your people" are, whether you graduated from UCC or McGill or the "right" college at U of T. All that matters is if you can do the job, and then your rewards are only limited by your vision and your effort. Want a film festival? Don't glad-hand with the reigning "arts community"; START ONE YOURSELF as the founders of CIFF did in 2000. Want an indie music fest? START ONE YOURSELF instead of begging for scraps from NXNE as the founders of Sled Island did two years ago. Really loved the Jamba Juice you had in LA but can't get franchise rights to open it up in Canada? START ONE YOURSELF as the founders of Jugo Juice did.

Calgary is a city where one can achieve that stereotyped "American Dream" with all its apocryphal (in the US) myths of meritocracy. It really exists here. Yet Calgary is resolutely Canadian.
That's a very good post. I fully agree.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:36 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:

Someone should take this post, put it on a plaque, and have it at every entrance to the city. You officially win this thread and have managed to perfectly put into words something that I've felt but hadn't the words to express (kinda like the ultimate Hallmark card).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 3:12 PM
Editor

Awesome. You nailed it.

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation