HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 9:42 PM

http://www.quickenloans.com/press-ro...wntown-detroit

Quote:
Bedrock Real Estate Services LLC, Rock Ventures’ full-service real estate firm and developer for the project, will be responsible for managing the property and leasing the retail space. Bedrock is working with Michigan-based Neumann/Smith Architecture and parking consultants Rich and Associates Inc. to design the structure. Colasanti Construction Services Inc./Sachse Construction, a joint venture, are the construction managers for the project.
The architecture company also did One Kennedy Square as well as a few other parking garages around town. They've actually done a whole lot of projects in and around Southeast Michigan. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:39 AM

One good thing is it will have retail. I'm confident Gilbert will get those spaces filled and that will definitely help surrounding spaces.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 7:30 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Thanks for finding that. Yep, I'm familiar with Neumann Smith and Rich & Associates. I like that they are using local talent. That said, I wouldn't be bragging about One Kennedy Square. It's easily the cheapest looking thing on Campus Martius, and the proportions are all wrong. I'd actually have liked if they'd just put up a plain, curtain-glass box at the site if I knew it would turn out looking like it did.

Tough critic, I know. Detroit just deserves so much better than this childish, Lego-looking architecture it's gotten during the last ten years.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Thanks for finding that. Yep, I'm familiar with Neumann Smith and Rich & Associates. I like that they are using local talent. That said, I wouldn't be bragging about One Kennedy Square. It's easily the cheapest looking thing on Campus Martius, and the proportions are all wrong. I'd actually have liked if they'd just put up a plain, curtain-glass box at the site if I knew it would turn out looking like it did.

Tough critic, I know. Detroit just deserves so much better than this childish, Lego-looking architecture it's gotten during the last ten years.
I guess I'll hold the unpopular opinion and say that I like 1KS. I wish it was taller though, but from what I read, it was pretty much like the Hudson's site in that there was already an underground parking garage that limited its height.

And actually, I was going to enter a design into Dan Gilbert's design competition based on Legos. But I think it ended up not looking like legos and I had missed the deadline anyway so oh well.

Speaking of the competition, I believe they're showing the submitted proposals this weekend so it'd be really interesting to see what ideas came up. I also wonder how much of it might influence the final design since Gilbert supposed already has a design in mind. I'm really really hoping it doesn't look to bad (if that $75 million dollars is really the final estimated amount of money being invested into it). If anything needs to be architecturally significant, it needs to be that site.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:00 PM

I think 1KS is superb for a spec build. I even like the bold green. The notches really soften the building to the site and sloped roof helps to create this beautiful urban vignette when looking up at the Penobscot. A couple more floors would have helped proportionally, but the views from the park of it are quite nice. Plus the base is pretty dramatic.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:31 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I think 1KS is superb for a spec build. I even like the bold green. The notches really soften the building to the site and sloped roof helps to create this beautiful urban vignette when looking up at the Penobscot. A couple more floors would have helped proportionally, but the views from the park of it are quite nice. Plus the base is pretty dramatic.
I like the front, but the other three sides are completely soulless. I even don't mind the height. I think anything too large would have given CMP an uneasiness about it with a looming tower. It's a small space. My 2 cents.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:16 AM

Accounting firm Plante Moran is opening an office in Detroit proper at One Campus Martius (Compuware):

Quote:

The Compuware building overlooks Campus Martius in downtown Detroit (Jonathan Oosting | MLive.com)

Plante Moran to open office in downtown Detroit’s Compuware Building

By David Muller | MLive.com

June 6, 2013

DETROIT, MI - Southfield-based accounting firm Plant Moran announced Thursday that it is opening an office in the Compuware Building, at 1 Campus Martius in downtown Detroit.

About 75 employees will be based at the 15,000-square-foot Detroit office, which is on the third floor of the 16-story building.

"Coupled with our nearly 10 percent growth in staff in southeast Michigan in the last 15 months and our need for more office space, it just makes sense to open our next office in downtown Detroit,” Gordon Krater, the firm’s managing partner, said in a statement. “It will also help us better attract professionals who want to be part of the urban work environment as we continue to expand our team."

Being in Detroit’s urban core has been a big reason for some companies to not only open offices in the city’s downtown, but also for some to ultimately move their headquarters there from the suburbs, not the least of which includes Campbell Ewald.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:14 AM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 10:25 PM

Whole Foods had its grand opening in Midtown earlier this week. A lot of people seem pretty jovial about it. Who knows, maybe it is the start of a rapid gentrification of Midtown. We'll see...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 10:39 PM

Awesome! I hope it does really well.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 3:55 PM

That sucks but its the reality of the situation. I think Orr should ask the Feds for a bail out. I'm sure it has a very high chance of falling on deaf ears but it couldn't hurt. After all they gave NYC one in the 70's i believe when it was in trouble. As for the Plan id rather it stay a park in the event that Detroit comes back and population swells to around 2 million again it would be great to have an oasis of nature so close to the core of the city. But since that's at least decades away, I would support the mixed development of Belle Isle so long as it makes a valiant effort to promote and preserve the nature of the Island.

I can assure you: New York did not get a Federal bailout in the 70s. That's when the Post ran the famous headline "Ford to city: Drop Dead." This is my first post here. I live in NYC but grew up in Pittsburgh, and have used this site for years to check up on Pgh. My partner is from Southfield and have read the Detroit thread for a while. Good luck with things---looks like Gilbert and (eventually) others could jump start some big things there. And I hope that Orr can do what is necessary without gutting the city more...or selling off the treasures in the DIA. Just know that there are a lot of people all around the country pulling for Detroit to bounce back.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 8:10 PM
Honored Member

From what I understand, the DIA, Zoo, and other city-owned institutions are safe from liquidation in the event of a municipal bankruptcy. It's not like a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, where basically everything is liquidated to pay off the creditors.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 7:53 AM

Anyone here about how the contest for the Hudson's block turned out? I think I saw something in the News that kind of described the event, but I was surprised nothing was described or photographed for the paper.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
That sucks but its the reality of the situation. I think Orr should ask the Feds for a bail out. I'm sure it has a very high chance of falling on deaf ears but it couldn't hurt. After all they gave NYC one in the 70's i believe when it was in trouble. As for the Plan id rather it stay a park in the event that Detroit comes back and population swells to around 2 million again it would be great to have an oasis of nature so close to the core of the city. But since that's at least decades away, I would support the mixed development of Belle Isle so long as it makes a valiant effort to promote and preserve the nature of the Island.

I can assure you: New York did not get a Federal bailout in the 70s. That's when the Post ran the famous headline "Ford to city: Drop Dead." This is my first post here. I live in NYC but grew up in Pittsburgh, and have used this site for years to check up on Pgh. My partner is from Southfield and have read the Detroit thread for a while. Good luck with things---looks like Gilbert and (eventually) others could jump start some big things there. And I hope that Orr can do what is necessary without gutting the city more...or selling off the treasures in the DIA. Just know that there are a lot of people all around the country pulling for Detroit to bounce back.

http://www.propublica.org/special/government-bailouts

New york did get a bailout check your facts

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 8:26 AM

Looks like local leaders are lining up behind bringing I-375 to the surface, reconnecting downtown with Lafeyette Park:

Quote:

Downtown Detroit's I-375 could be transformed to surface street

By Marlon A. Walker | Detroit Free Press

June 9, 2013

I-375 could disappear and be replaced with a surface street, essentially closing the gap that currently divides downtown from its residential neighbors to the east.

The idea is one of several being discussed by stakeholders from downtown businesses. Much of the mile-long I-375, which is nearly 50 years old, is outdated and in need of repair. Several business leaders met in April to discuss the possible landscape change.

“I think we all know or are aware of the fact that the freeway is not in great condition,” said Faye Nelson, president and CEO of the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy. “If something were to occur in terms of changes, this is the right time.”

Nelson joined forces with George W. Jackson Jr., president and CEO of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., and went to the Michigan Department of Transportation with the idea to open the floor for suggestions on the face of the corridor going forward, as Detroit continues to realize a downtown revitalization. She said rethinking I-375 now for businesses and residents could add to the “quality of life and the potential for economic development.”

“As it exists, 375 represents a barrier,” Nelson said. “It separates the community east and west of Jefferson. We are really looking to gather with our chief stakeholders to have a conversation on whether this is the right time to evaluate 375, and what is the best approach to take with respect to this issue. Hopefully, we can come up with a solution on whether there will be any changes to the freeway, what they are, how they will be funded.”

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Anyone here about how the contest for the Hudson's block turned out? I think I saw something in the News that kind of described the event, but I was surprised nothing was described or photographed for the paper.
There's a few photo's on the facebook page, though no clear view of any of the renderings.

The awards will be announced tomorrow (June 11th) so presumably that's when the designs will be released and ready for view on the internet and such. This is about the closest teaser we'll get until then.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 1:56 PM

Yet another proposal for the Tiger Stadium site being preemptively shot down...

Quote:
MLB might transform Tiger Stadium into youth baseball facility
JUNE 11, 2013
LOUIS AGUILAR | THE DETROIT NEWS

Major League Baseball is considering the old Tiger Stadium as a site to build a state-of-the-art facility to provide baseball activities to youths.

But one high-level Detroit official says the “offer is a scam” that doesn’t have the money to make it happen.

The Major League Baseball Urban Youth Academy is an initiative overseen by MLB Executive Vice President of Baseball Development and Hall of Famer Frank Robinson. Darrell Miller, MLB vice president of youth and facility development, has been in Detroit to talk about the potential project.

“We would be love to be in Detroit. We know what it has gone through, and we know it’s on the rebound. We want to be part of that,” Miller said.

The now vacant Tiger Stadium site is among Detroit properties being considered, Miller said. He would not name the other sites.

[...]

George Jackson, president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., which controls the city-owned Tiger Stadium property, says he has met with Miller and is convinced the deal is not solid. Jackson painted the idea as the latest in a long line of plans high on sentiment for the site but fell far short on basic fundamentals.

“Show me the money and I would be more than happy to do the deal,” Jackson said. “But there is no money. The Tigers have already said no to this deal. You just can’t come to the table without any money.”

[...]
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2VupmhbtU

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Yet another proposal for the Tiger Stadium site being preemptively shot down...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2VupmhbtU
EDIT: I'm not so sure this is pre-emptively being shot down as it is George Jackson knowing what he's talking about, for once. I have to say that while his characterization of the concept - and, really, this is not an actual proposal, and that needs to be reiterated - as a scam is inflammatory and inaccurate, he's right to be skeptical given the things folks try to pass off as "proposals" in this city.

If MLB wants to partner with an actual developer to reuse the field and build a facility on part of the site, that's great. Until there is an actual developer with enough money to make this feasible, he's right to be critical of this and the actions of the guy running around to the papers as if this is a proposal sitting on the table.

Realistically and preferably, you'd reuse the field and sell off parcels along the perimeter to get as many uses as you can out of the site. I hope that's eventually what happens. If MLB wants to be a part of that, I welcome them.

Last edited by LMich; Jun 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:25 PM

That makes sense. Jackson doesn't seem terribly tactful when he explains things. The article gave me the impression he just wanted some type of mega development and didn't want some 'rinky-dink' baseball complex.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
That makes sense. Jackson doesn't seem terribly tactful when he explains things. The article gave me the impression he just wanted some type of mega development and didn't want some 'rinky-dink' baseball complex.
I got the same impression...but I kind of agree. On one hand, you have an existing diamond on the site. On the other hand, though, this is potentially valuable land on a major avenue. Like I said, if MLB and a developer can come up with the money, I guess I wouldn't mind them using the site or part of the site, but it seems to me a far better use of the site is something that generate a lot more revenue and taxes. There is so much empty land in the areas to the north and east that this site isn't necessarily the only one that could fit a baseball facility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations