HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 2:16 AM

I think it's a great building for this location.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 4:05 AM
R2-D2's army of death

I like the unusual design; it's something we need more of in Ottawa.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 8:06 PM

Something like this is a lot better than nothing at all...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Something like this is a lot better than nothing at all...
I agree, development is needed in the downtown core of Ottawa, but I just can't bring myself to like the look of this building. I find the balconies too distracting and makes the upper portion of the tower look quite messy. I'm all for new and different designs, I'm just not a fan of this one.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 8:33 PM

i think it's awesome. the podium matches Bank Street very well while the top will stick up next to the queensway and add some interest to the drive through the city...dare say a 'landmark' building in ottawa....

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
i think it's awesome. the podium matches Bank Street very well while the top will stick up next to the queensway and add some interest to the drive through the city...dare say a 'landmark' building in ottawa....
'Interesting' - absolutely. 'Landmark' - I sure hope not. I prefer a building with the looks of the Merit be a Ottawa landmark, not a building with 'tend-du-jour' styling.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:14 PM

From Monday's Ottawa Business Journal [SmartEdition]:

Quote:
Richmond Hill, Ont.-based Fortress Real Capital has its eye on at least two more properties in the area of Bank and Catherine streets, in addition to its newly unveiled SoBa development, which will go up just south of the intersection. The 19-storey, nearly 250-unit tower scheduled for completion in 2014.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
It looks like it's a true mixed use with ground floor retail, some commercial and residential above. If so, then I am mightily pleased.

I don't mind the three styles. It gets the residential looking portion high enough to avoid the queensway noise.
Agreed, this is a really promising proposal. Catherine Street is a gutter at the moment and as the first east/west Street north of the Queensway it has real potential for development. At this location too it has the opportunity to bridge the Glebe and Centretown portions of Bank street.

As someone noted above, balconies overlooking the Queensway seem an odd choice, but maybe from the appropriate height highways have a certain beauty.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbria27 View Post
Agreed, this is a really promising proposal. Catherine Street is a gutter at the moment and as the first east/west Street north of the Queensway it has real potential for development. At this location too it has the opportunity to bridge the Glebe and Centretown portions of Bank street.

As someone noted above, balconies overlooking the Queensway seem an odd choice, but maybe from the appropriate height highways have a certain beauty.
Balconies over the Queensway wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but in Toronto there are plenty facing the Gardner and the DVP for that matter. Must be something to it?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 3:46 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Balconies over the Queensway wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but in Toronto there are plenty facing the Gardner and the DVP for that matter. Must be something to it?
If you don't mind the noise, they provide a built-in setback, which allows for expansive & long views.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
If you don't mind the noise, they provide a built-in setback, which allows for expansive & long views.
Well there we go!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:49 PM

highways kick up a lot of dirt and particulate matter (diesel trucks, and all of the tire and break wear), if there's balconies, then the residents can be responsible for keeping their own windows clean, helps keep the condo fees down that way!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 11:37 PM

This building may be far more appealing in real life because the rendering is out of perspective. The artist has kept the lines straight with the sides of the image so it looks like it is wider at the top than further down. Based on the window count, layout, and design the building should be the same size in the upper portion of the tower. I do agree it looks like two similar buildings put together but that may not be a bad thing once it's lined up against the raised Queensway across the road.

Last edited by ServiceGuy; Sep 21, 2011 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:42 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 9:27 PM

Here's an article from OBJ about the SoBa project. Looks like they want 21 storeys instead of 19.

Quote:
Catherine Street condo proposal adds height
Published on October 21, 2011
OBJ Staff

The developers behind the proposed SoBa tower in Centretown are asking the city to increase height allowances on the Catherine Street property to allow for a 21-storey building.

Topics : Fortress Real Capital , Richmond Hill
Richmond Hill, Ont.-based Fortress Real Capital, along with Lamb Development Corp., plan to construct the 244-unit tower at 203 Catherine St., near Bank Street, by 2014. Rezoning and site plan applications were recently filed with the city.

The city's planning committee will consider a proposal to increase the maximum height allowed on that property from nine metres to 69.5 metres.

They companies aer also asking for a reduction in parking requirements, specifically:

- Resident parking decrease to 93 spaces from 110;

- Visitor parking decrease to 19 spaces from 46;

- Retail parking decrease to seven spaces from 15;

- Bicycle parking decrease to 110 spaces from 122.

Other requested amendments include authorization to build a 7,500-square-foot retail store on the ground floor and reductions in required space for the front and rear yards, "communal amenity area" and landscaping.

As is common during developments, the plans have slightly changed from statistics quoted in a previous OBJ interview, when the tower was said to be 19 storeys and include nearly 250 units.

Designed by Toronto-based Core Architects, the striking preliminary design of SoBa features a ground-level podium occupying the entire lot and a T-shaped structure beginning on the second floor and forming part of the podium until the seventh floor, according to city documents.

Beginning on the eighth floor, the T-shaped structure reduces in size, creating articulations in the building facade and signalling the start of the tower portion. An L-shaped structure, facing west, is introduced on the 11th floor and culminates with penthouse units and the mechanical penthouse on the top storey.

Fortress is eyeing at least two other properties in the Bank and Catherine streets area for future development, said Jawad Rathore, chief strategic officer at Fortress, in a September interview.

"The city has indicated they want to intensify that area ... They want to increase height in that area. We think it's going to be really revitalized, that part of Centretown."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 10:18 PM

Those extra two floors will block more of the Queensway and...um....ruin heritage views for people driving on the Queensway! Yeah, thatès the ticket. If this becomes an issue, I wont be surprised.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 2:44 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Those extra two floors will block more of the Queensway and...um....ruin heritage views for people driving on the Queensway! Yeah, thatès the ticket. If this becomes an issue, I wont be surprised.
I'm not going to take that bet, since you're probably going to be right.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 6:34 PM

waiting for holmes.....wait for it.... waiiiiiiit for it.....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:32 AM

interesting request RE all the parking reductions, 1 visitor spot per 5 units seems like a lot, but less than one per 15 seems like ticking time bomb for a conflict among future residents, especially during peak periods (what are peak visitor periods? Canada Day? Winterlude?), in any event, also curious to see how they would justify reducing the bike parking at the same time as reducing all the car parking.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
interesting request RE all the parking reductions, 1 visitor spot per 5 units seems like a lot, but less than one per 15 seems like ticking time bomb for a conflict among future residents, especially during peak periods (what are peak visitor periods? Canada Day? Winterlude?), in any event, also curious to see how they would justify reducing the bike parking at the same time as reducing all the car parking.
I've got to agree here.
Reductions in parking across the board is not going to win them any friends in getting additional height approved... Especially with reduction to bike parking

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa