HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The patterned metal in Roshan's 4th and 5th photos is the metal that has been up most of the summer. You can see the new metal on the north facade in the first photo.
What I think you are referring to looks very dark, much darker than I expected "Muntz Metal" to be.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What I think you are referring to looks very dark, much darker than I expected "Muntz Metal" to be.
Yes, it's very dark. I was looking closer this morning and I'm thinking it's not the final finish. The current texture looks almost like a light spray with a can of spray paint. I'm wondering if it's a protective coating that'll later be removed.

However, even if it is the final finish I do like it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 6:09 PM

I think this must be some sort of protective coating to be removed when construction is finished (to avoid scratching, presumably).

To the best of my knowledge, Muntz metal is supposed to have the appearance of brass (because it is brass):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntz_metal

My understanding was that it wouldn't tarnish like typical brass, however, but my knowledge is limited to what I've read about it in relation to this project.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:00 PM

Queens Marque by Ian Watson, on Flickr

Queens Marque by Ian Watson, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:06 PM

That has more of the look of tarnished brass, before polishing.

It will be interesting if this is the final finish, though, as it's quite a departure from the original concept of "copper". I actually think that a copper finish (one that doesn't corrode to that light green colour) would be more attractive than "brass" or "tarnished brass".

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 8:48 PM

It actually looks very much like bronze.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It actually looks very much like bronze.
...weathered bronze.

New bronze is brighter and shinier than that stuff. But maybe weathered is the look they are going for now?

The original concept renderings as presented showed a brighter shinier copper colour:

Source

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:27 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I'm getting Dublin and Liverpool vibes from this building. I can't put my finger on why though.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I'm getting Dublin and Liverpool vibes from this building. I can't put my finger on why though.
Never thought about it, but I think I know what you mean. It does have that vibe. More Dublin than Liverpool.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:36 PM

They've taken the perforated metal screen off of the Lower Water Street frontage, so it does seem like it was just a test as Jono had thought.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I'm feeling the same thing. Or even London.
I think its down to the midrise, waterfront with juxtaposed high quality materials.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think its down to the midrise, waterfront with juxtaposed high quality materials.
Definitely a London feel especially around the Thames near the Shard.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:41 PM

Any consensus on whether the Muntz Metal has a protective covering on it, or is that dull brown colour the final finish?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It's not a huge area but the blocks below Barrington around here feel a lot like a British city. The Bank of NS looks like something from Glasgow, and Province House could have been built in the UK. The effect would have been even stronger had the old Customs House and Royal Bank been retained. Queen's Marque seems to be adding to this and I hope the Dennis Building redevelopment will complement the feel of the area too.

Up on Barrington buildings like NS Furnishings and the now developed Cragg Bros were much more North American in style.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:50 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Does anyone know the hotel that will be going in here?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

It appears there's been some significant design changes in this building that I'm not sure have been posted before. In the above rendering, it shows the reddish muntz metal on the top and curtain wall on the bottom but when I was browsing their rental website it has a 3D model on it that looks much more to what's being built there now:

Most of the red metal has been scrapped for dark grey, and the curtain wall has been replaced with this almost checkered metal/glasswall. I still have high hopes with this one due to the architects reputation but it looks like the only other metal is going to be the NW corner.

Here's a link to the 3D model that's actually quite well done:
https://projects.blacklineapp.com/queens-marque/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:57 AM
Volatile Pacivist

The reddish metal was my favourite part. Without that it looks somewhat anonymous. Still high quality, but like a DND administrative office or something.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Does anyone know the hotel that will be going in here?
I seem to recall a recent AllNS story saying it would be a house brand, 5-stars.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
It appears there's been some significant design changes in this building that I'm not sure have been posted before. In the above rendering, it shows the reddish muntz metal on the top and curtain wall on the bottom but when I was browsing their rental website it has a 3D model on it that looks much more to what's being built there now:

Most of the red metal has been scrapped for dark grey, and the curtain wall has been replaced with this almost checkered metal/glasswall. I still have high hopes with this one due to the architects reputation but it looks like the only other metal is going to be the NW corner.

Here's a link to the 3D model that's actually quite well done:
https://projects.blacklineapp.com/queens-marque/
Thanks for that. I hadn't seen it before.

I agree with Nouvellecosse in that the copper-toned sections were the best part of it. I also liked the contrast with the white-ish tones of the sandstone (in the renderings, which probably wasn't realistic anyhow) and that was what made the building design stand out in my opinion - but especially the copper (Muntz Metal).

While the overall design is still interesting, it looks a lot more drab than I was expecting, and thus is somewhat disappointing.

Hopefully it will still be attractive when it's finished, but IMHO the reddish copper tones would have been much nicer. Oh well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth