HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 1:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjohnirish☘ View Post
Is ST JOHN'S booming or what?

SJ hasn't seen that amount construction since the fire of 1877!
thanks for the lift in our spirits!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Lol for a place in recession, the construction scene isn't doing too bad.

I don't know if we'll see many new larger scale proposals (other than from the massive Galway area) until the economy spins around but some of the larger older proposals are coming to fruition now and hopefully will carry us over until the economy heals up.
I'm not even sure we'll see Galway in it's entirety. Homes for 12-15,000 people is a pretty steep hill to climb with how things are going right now. I would expect that maybe somewhere between a third and half of that will be built. As long as they keep the site open for further development if the need for that extra housing returns, and not decide to give up and cap off the back end of the site with an industrial park.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
thanks for the lift in our spirits!
Consider yourselves lucky

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I'm not even sure we'll see Galway in it's entirety. Homes for 12-15,000 people is a pretty steep hill to climb with how things are going right now. I would expect that maybe somewhere between a third and half of that will be built. As long as they keep the site open for further development if the need for that extra housing returns, and not decide to give up and cap off the back end of the site with an industrial park.
Based on the time span alone, I think this will be an area of expansion for decades. They don't plan on completing it in the next 5 years and it will no doubt complete in sections based on demand, however I think it will happen in its entirety. I'm sure it will change 20 times over before complete but it's a long term project.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:36 AM

The base of two tower cranes are set up at the new MUN Science building. Looks like another crane is being installed at the Hilton site downtown too. It’s been a few years since we’ve had four tower cranes in the city at the same time.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam477 View Post
The base of two tower cranes are set up at the new MUN Science building. Looks like another crane is being installed at the Hilton site downtown too. It’s been a few years since we’ve had four tower cranes in the city at the same time.
It's probably the first time.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
The 3 story addition at the top looks so nasty and out of place. There's no reason why they couldn't have finished that to match the rest of the building.

Ron.
We can blame our great heritage committee for this, original design with all glass got denied and they approved this instead.....

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
We can blame our great heritage committee for this, original design with all glass got denied and they approved this instead.....

Exactly!

Changing St. John's for the worse, one denial at a time ...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
I'm not familiar with all the design iterations over the years, however the current material looks like the AD300 metal siding that the heritage advisory committee explicitly stipulated should _not_ be used (see page 10 of http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...C%202015_1.pdf ).

When Lydon Lynch pushed back and gave "assurances that the siding is suitable," Council voted in an e-poll that the heritage advisory committee's stipulation should be removed (see page 29 of http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...015%28R%29.pdf , Hickman and Lane dissented).

Siding aside, Council does not seem to give much deference to its advisory committees, quick to override them if someone gets upset.

By the way, overall, I'm really excited for The Mix.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
I'm not familiar with all the design iterations over the years, however the current material looks like the AD300 metal siding that the heritage advisory committee explicitly stipulated should _not_ be used (see page 10 of http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...C%202015_1.pdf ).

When Lydon Lynch pushed back and gave "assurances that the siding is suitable," Council voted in an e-poll that the heritage advisory committee's stipulation should be removed (see page 29 of http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...015%28R%29.pdf , Hickman and Lane dissented).

Siding aside, Council does not seem to give much deference to its advisory committees, quick to override them if someone gets upset.

By the way, overall, I'm really excited for The Mix.
It is Ad300 but with 50 year warranty and speacialized coating for added protection. Still wish it was glass

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 1:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Earlier this morning...

ALT Hotel.

MIX Apartments.

Core Sciences Building, Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A couple from this morning.

MIX and Star of the Sea.

Hilton.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Two cranes are up at the Core Sciences Building of Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:58 AM

Not sure if anyone posted thIs yet. But kenmount Terrance community centre is slated to start in the next month. It was awarded last week. From the renders and information it looks like it will be one of the nicer community centre in the city. http://www.stjohns.ca/living-st-john...community-park

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:43 PM

New ideas for old buildings

Quote:
There’s an unconventional but potentially promising development idea being explored for some vacant downtown properties.

Common Ground is in the midst of a feasibility study on the establishment of an innovation hub with an arts focus at a number of Slate-owned properties in the downtown core.

“A lot of times a developer will either build a building or refurbish a building and then ask, ‘Who needs to use this?’” explains Dave Lane, executive director of Common Ground.

“What we’re doing is we’re saying, ‘Hey, come here, come into our building and we’ll see how to redevelop it for you.’”

The idea stems from a piece Lane wrote for a local monthly publication two years ago that explored the concept of adopting a co-working approach that would see vacant properties utilized by giving a home to small business, start-ups, entrepreneurs, and arts organizations and artists.

“What type of space do they need and how much would they be able to pay for such a space, and what kind of management will we need in place to co-ordinate all the comings and goings of these different types of activities?” he says.

Over the last year, Common Ground and its partners have been working with Slate to activate properties such as the former Fortis Building at the corner of Water Street and Job’s Cove, and the Neal Building on Harbour Drive.

One component of the idea has seen a number of Common Ground members set up shop in the Fortis Building.

“We have a consultant, we have a small insurance company, a project management company, those are what I’ll call the start-ups or small businesses just to have an office,” says Lane.

The other aspect of the program involves a partnership with Business and Arts Newfoundland and Labrador in establishing a pop-up arts space that has seen an incredible uptake from the local arts community, according to executive director Amy Henderson.

“People were desperate to jump at the opportunity to have rehearsals, to have studio space, to have committee and board meetings,” she says.

“The need for a space and place to go and bump into each other in the halls, but also to have a space that’s big enough where you can have a rehearsal and has the amenities that you need.”

In May and June, Henderson says, the arts community piled up 450 hours of usage by groups like Perchance Theatre, the Nickel Independent Film Festival and actors from Shakespeare by the Sea.

What’s more, use of the space came at nominal or no cost to the users.

“There’s so much interest for people, even to rent the space, that we’re still having people in almost on a daily basis looking to see the spaces and making plans into the fall for hopefully subsidized rehearsal space and office space as well.”

Lane says having Business and Arts NL involved was key to his original idea because of their expertise in how both sides can benefit one another.

“That’s exactly what we need because we keep talking about these innovation agendas and driving economic development, but we’re having a struggle to find where the arts fits into that even though it’s such a huge strength that we have,” he says.

Another collaboration stemming from the Neal Building occupation is with the Refugee Immigrant Advisory Council (RIAC), which is housed on the second floor.

“Entrepreneurs, by definition, are risk takers and new Canadians are more likely to be entrepreneurs because nothing is as risky as what they just did, which is move their lives,” says Lane.

“So to connect them with our small business community and our entrepreneur community makes a lot of sense, so it’s really great to have them there.”
For Henderson, meanwhile, the interaction with the arts community has her organization “excited to see the greater potential of that if there were more players in the building.”

The study is also looking into vacant heritage buildings at 151 to 157 Water St., also owned by Slate.

“We’re measuring all the rooms in there, we’re looking at all the materials used to build the buildings and we’re starting to brainstorm what type of activities could take place in those,” says Lane.

“We are saving heritage buildings, or we’re trying to without saying, ‘Keep them as they are.’ We’re saying, ‘Let’s make them useful today.’”

Lane expects the draft of the report will be ready by the end of October and ready for submission for a Nov. 30 deadline.

Lane comes full circle

The feasibility study into an innovation and arts hub at vacant downtown properties has taken Dave Lane back to the roots of his municipal career.

In 2010, Lane was involved in a response to a Fortis Properties proposal to retrofit the Fortis Building and build a new 15-storey building next to it.

The idea of a new high-rise in the downtown core didn’t sit well with the public, and Fortis eventually abandoned the plan and opted instead to build Fortis Place at the west end of Water Street.

Happy City, a group aimed at facilitating open dialogue about municipal issues, was born from the ashes of that abandoned proposal, with Lane as its chair.

But identifying a need to foster a strong and trusting relationship with city hall, Lane decided to run for council and was elected as councillor at large in the fall of 2013.

Earlier this year, while exploring space at the Fortis Building, Lane came across a piece of paper with the designs for the 15-storey building that was scuttled.

“It struck me, ‘This is where I began,’” says Lane.

“It’s a nice little circle happening where I got into public life by trying to save some heritage buildings and it’s not just preventing demolition now, it’s about adaptive re-use.”
http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...buildings.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:49 PM

Another step for housing development at former I.J. Samson

Quote:
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — The planned development at the site of the former I.J. Samson Junior High School moved another step forward recently, with a public meeting city councillors describe as a good and valuable exchange with residents in the area.

The proposal put forward is to transform the site off Bennett Avenue into residential lots, including 20 townhouses and another 58 units (in nine buildings) to be marketed as senior’s apartments. The former school at the location has been vacant since 2011.

A public meeting was held on July 13 at City Hall in St. John’s, with 11 people in attendance. Questions were asked of proponent leads Bill Clarke and Ryan Clarke, as well as the city’s chief municipal planner, legislative assistant, ward councillor Jonathan Galgay and deputy mayor Ron Ellsworth, as recorded in the minutes.

On Monday night, at the scheduled city council meeting, Galgay reported in.

“It’s an exceptional plan and all the issues which were raised from residents were very good questions and I was pleased we were able to answer them,” he said, mentioning questions on potential traffic and the water supply system as examples, with the expectation — based on staff evaluation — the development meet all requirements.

“Again I encourage residents who have concerns during this process to give us a call,” he said.

There are still steps in the development process. There is a change required to the municipal plan to allow for the project and the change will have to go through the provincial Department of Municipal Affairs. There will be a public, commissioner’s hearing. And the project will, going forward, also come back around to the city council for vote.

Coun. Tom Hann applauded the general concept Monday, specifically for including housing targeted to seniors. “Every chance I get to talk about seniors in this city I try. Because — I use the word tsunami, because that’s what’s going to hit us if we are not preparing enough to look after seniors, not only in this city but in this province,” he said.

In terms of selling only to seniors, the question was posed: can housing be specifically identified for seniors. Ellsworth said while any age discrimination is not permitted, properties can be designed and marketed with specific age groups in mind as potential residents.

In terms of pricing, the potential pricing under discussion to date has been $299,000 to $339,000 for the townhouses and $229,000 to $259,000 for the senior’s apartments.
I just don't understand why everything has to be driveways and big parking lots in front of the townhouses... they could have made a lane to access the interior of the property and put the parking lots behind the houses, or have reserved on street spots in the lane for each house.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:49 PM

Is that it for ALT? It's only 4-5 stories?..looks like an underutilization of space. Also the color choice is interesting...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Is that it for ALT? It's only 4-5 stories?..looks like an underutilization of space. Also the color choice is interesting...
Yep - that's it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam477 View Post
They are assembling a tower crane at the Avalon Mall parkade site, so that makes 5 tower cranes in town now (2@MUN, Hilton, Av Mall, Star/Sea) . Is that a record?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 10:10 PM

Density done right

I stumble upon this as I was watching a play list on Youtube from Planifax, and i figured y'all might enjoy this.
It's 1hr, and it's mainly directed towards Halifax, but it's a good watch or anyone.

https://youtu.be/Gz7U3SJjA98

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's