HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:46 PM

Definitely interesting in isolation, though there's going to be so much going on in that chunk of skyline in the next couple of years, what we see is going to look radically different.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Definitely interesting in isolation, though there's going to be so much going on in that chunk of skyline in the next couple of years, what we see is going to look radically different.
Agreed!

That we're even talking about "chunks" of skyline is interesting, too. Ten years ago, there weren't enough skyscrapers in our city to have actual "chunks." Ten years from now, who knows how big our skyline will be.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Agreed!

That we're even talking about "chunks" of skyline is interesting, too. Ten years ago, there weren't enough skyscrapers in our city to have actual "chunks." Ten years from now, who knows how big our skyline will be.
I've been mentally trying to build my list of "next wave" highrises, and I think the next area of heat is going to be all along I-35 -- Rainey, Waller Creek, up Red River to Brackenridge. We'll see onesie-twosies happen throughout downtown -- mostly on marquee redevelopment blocks. But IMO if Austin keeps booming, the 2020's are all going to be about the East side of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:13 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
I've been mentally trying to build my list of "next wave" highrises, and I think the next area of heat is going to be all along I-35 -- Rainey, Waller Creek, up Red River to Brackenridge. We'll see onesie-twosies happen throughout downtown -- mostly on marquee redevelopment blocks. But IMO if Austin keeps booming, the 2020's are all going to be about the East side of downtown.
We can essentially eliminate West Campus and the Capitol Complex from actual high-rise development. They'll both develop at the higher end of mid-rise. The current plans for south of the river are mostly the higher end of mid-rise as well.

The non-Rainey areas along Waller Creek will have sporadic high-rises (with one notable potential cluster in the old hospital district), but most of the development will be mid-rise, as significant portions are covered by CVCs (even after accounting for potential removal of the I-35 CVCs), has historic architecture, and/or is land that isn't developable. The new CVCs hinder this problem even more.

Honestly, I think what we'll see is sporadic high-rises throughout ancillary areas, but increased high-rise density in the areas that are already booming while mid-rises continue to dominate the core.

Where do I think high-rises will start popping up next? The Domain/North Burnet.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:10 PM

And I should actually clarify -- I say "highrise" and I really mean a slew of buildings topping out at around our current standard 350' -- what I'm now starting to call the "downtown Austin podium." Though I have a sneaking suspicion that the next wave of building will give us a few more Austonian/Independent-sized buildings.

I think on the off chance that the city can find a long term solution to the ARC problem, development around 6th St. will shoot forward. I'm thinking specifically of that whole open block up for development that's owned by St David's Episcopal.

Will be interested to see if Domain actually starts to build higher than its current standard. And where that happens.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:32 PM

I reckon the Statesman site will see height once development starts. There are no height restrictions to my knowledge. Imagine the views if so! I've also heard talk of an 8ish story building coming to Mueller.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
And I should actually clarify -- I say "highrise" and I really mean a slew of buildings topping out at around our current standard 350' -- what I'm now starting to call the "downtown Austin podium." Though I have a sneaking suspicion that the next wave of building will give us a few more Austonian/Independent-sized buildings.

I think on the off chance that the city can find a long term solution to the ARC problem, development around 6th St. will shoot forward. I'm thinking specifically of that whole open block up for development that's owned by St David's Episcopal.

Will be interested to see if Domain actually starts to build higher than its current standard. And where that happens.
I've been referring to it as the Austin Plateau, but I think the new standard will probably be in the 400 to 500 ft range with the potential of a couple in the 600 ft range, I hope. Seems logical to build taller in the center of DT now to gain maybe a little unobstructed view of the lake, at least on the upper floors, and to stand out among the competition. Just my wishful thinking. For the Domain, because it was once proposed, maybe a tower or two 20 to 30 stories, again, I hope, but I don't think that's necessary for a build out without that height. Density and low rises kind of rule the Domain.

Last edited by the Genral; Mar 8, 2017 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I've been referring to it as the Austin Plateau, but I think the new standard will probably be in the 400 to 500 ft range with the potential of a couple in the 600 ft range, I hope. Seems logical to build taller in the center of DT now to gain maybe a little unobstructed view of the lake, at least on the upper floors, and to stand out among the competition. Just my wishful thinking. For the Domain, because it was once proposed, maybe a tower or two 20 to 30 stories, again, I hope, but I don't think that's necessary for a build out without that height. Density and low rises kind of rule the Domain.
I'd love to see more height at the Domain, too, but now that I think about it, there's just so much cheap space out there. Between the Domain itself, the IBM property, and all the redevelopeable frontage on Burnet . . . I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed at about a 15 floor cap for the foreseeable future, with the vast majority down in the 7-8 floor level.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
I'd love to see more height at the Domain, too, but now that I think about it, there's just so much cheap space out there. Between the Domain itself, the IBM property, and all the redevelopeable frontage on Burnet . . . I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed at about a 15 floor cap for the foreseeable future, with the vast majority down in the 7-8 floor level.
Brandywine's Broadmoor vision across Burnet (including the IBM site) from the Domain is a likely location for taller buildings.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:09 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Most likely we will be seeing more skinny towers like Aloft or soon to be Avenue and some could be pretty tall. Personally I think 5th @ West is a point tower. Whether or not it's actually defined as a point tower I really don't know but It's footprint is about the same as Spring's.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 4:09 PM

3/13/17

Last edited by Flatiron; Mar 13, 2017 at 4:12 PM. Reason: wrong image linked

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:46 AM

Hey everyone, I haven't been on in forever. The Austin skyline is becoming an iconic American skyline before our eyes! I unforunately live in Dallas at the moment but moving back at the end of the year thank goodness. Seeing as I can't get to take in the skyline and progression of the buildings does anyone have any recent photos of 5th and West? This is one of my favorite current projects.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:10 AM

Taken this afternoon from 6th and West with The Independent in the background.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 12:56 AM

Watching these two go up almost side by side is going to be fun to watch. Even when they reach their halfway points, they are going to look impressive. At 1 floor per week, it won't take long. I can't recall ever seeing two buildings this tall going up at the same time this close together in Austin.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:31 AM

Isn't it though?

A photo down the ROW of Rio Grande extending into Shoal Creek would also be impressive (albeit in a different way) in about two months, with four buildings of 387' or higher rising simultaneously framing it:

690' The Independent
459' Fifth & West
397' Austin Proper
387' Third + Shoal

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:50 PM

From Monday, 4/10/17

You can already see the angle of the building and the CVC impact

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:28 PM

From 4/11/17

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/JplBo"><a href="//imgur.com/JplBo"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:31 PM

From 4/11 on West Ave looking north

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:31 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
From Monday, 4/10/17

You can already see the angle of the building and the CVC impact

Awesome!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:44 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ez_wider View Post
fixed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin