HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well I'll go out on a limb.
Hope this gets built! I think it has cool potential.
I certainly recall all the hate on the Frost when it was just drawings.
I will give the designers credit.... and see where this lands.
I like the contrast of the top and bottom.
I also like the scale it creates for the office section.
A cool way of looking at a structure. It's breaking down the fuction into differnt aesthetics.

Can't wait to see how it come to fruition!
Well said, and I agree with you on this. This project is definitely polarizing at best. But I like it because it dares to be something other than a glass box with "hidden" parking levels. It boldly says look at my parking levels! And it has a glass elevator in the parking garage!

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Well said, and I agree with you on this. This project is definitely polarizing at best. But I like it because it dares to be something other than a glass box with "hidden" parking levels. It boldly says look at my parking levels! And it has a glass elevator in the parking garage!
I had cocktails with some co-workers on the roof of the Capital Grille last night -- which coincidentally has a great view of this parking lot. FYI, this thing is going stick out like a sore thumb around all the single story buildings in the immediate area.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
...this thing is going stick out like a sore thumb around all the single story buildings in the immediate area.
That's what high rises do - they stick out when among single story buildings.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
That's what high rises do - they stick out when among single story buildings.

Well yeah, of course. But if you just squint a little bit and have a couple (or four) glasses of red wine you'll have to admit it actually looks a bit like a thumb.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:05 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Well yeah, of course. But if you just squint a little bit and have a couple (or four) glasses of red wine you'll have to admit it actually looks a bit like a thumb.
Yes. The thumb which controls the nose hair clipper that is the Frost Bank Tower.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 9:48 PM
Honored Member

Comments from friends on my Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/george.aust...63010920621714

Nigel Jacobs says: "It a giant molar! Looks like it's cracked all the way around, at the gum line. Time for a tanker of nitrous, and the largest extraction tool of all time."

Last edited by Tech House; May 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 1:06 AM

Removed

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 1:58 AM
World Traveler

Wow, I just cried a little.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 2:23 AM

Edit removed

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 5:14 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
There's nothing more I can add to this except I'm sad that its being built. I'm shocked that its bringing positive reviews, though I absolutely respect everyone's opinions on this forum. Given the location and the need for office space dt, this is certainly an under achiever, and worse, an awful attempt at producing something elegant and unique. Its a freakin tv on a tv stand. It will forever be this ridiculous addition to a skyline that wishes to be world class to match its reputation. Its less than we deserve. And the architects are gloating how wonderful they think this is. There is no hope now, A giant turd of a building will take up another prime spot that if it could talk or show emotion, would be weeping now over what could have been. Its like a skin tag, it will stick out like an ugly bump with no visual appeal. Yes, this is indeed a hopeless sad, sad day for the city of Austin. I hope someone with a bugle will show up during the ground breaking ceremony and play taps for the city that died a little bit on that horrible, horrible ground breaking day. May God have mercy on the souls of those who shamelessly designed and insist on planting this tumor in the heart of a city that wants and deserves more. Let us bow our heads and mourn, but know this, someday, maybe in several hundred years from now, perhaps less, this structure that openly mocks everything good and beautiul in this world, will be torn down and replaced with a plaque and a vow that atrocities such as this will never, ever be allowed to blemish our beloved city ever again, and our children's, children's, children's, children's, children will once again dance in the streets, holding their heads up high, free from the shame and embarrassment that we, their ancestors had to endure, for so many, dark, dark years. Yes my friends, even this painful time shall pass, but not for a long, long time. Its too late for us, but not for our children's, children's, children's, children's, children...

That was a freaking masterpiece, the Hallelujah Chorus of architectural roasts! I laughed continuously while reading it, and salute your craftsmanship in constructing a gem of a comment that helps to offset the aesthetic violation of the Geneva Convention that is about to be perpetrated in our midst.

Now, I want to approach it from a very different perspective. On Facebook, one of my friends suggested that we fight this thing and try to prevent its existence. It was pretty easy for me to discover my own defense of it from within, not just because of my objection to the potentially totalitarian nature of cities dictating aesthetics, but also because of the frequently-banal results of such interference. Here's what I said to her, and I admit that this is tantamount to a defense of 405 Colorado, which feels only a little less evil than defending ISIS:
"There's not much of an excuse for public interference with the construction of something like this, based only on aesthetics. In fact, in many cases where government does get involved in dictating preferences, it ends up enforcing soulless mediocrity. At least this alien object is, um, interesting and different. If I compare it to the sterile generic state office buildings that blight the area immediately surrounding the Capitol on the north, east, and west sides, I have to admit that this is probably preferable. Yes, just in the process of writing this, I think I've discovered my own capacity to embrace the thing and to stop rejecting it."

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
PUNGENT RANT
You had me at "skin tag."

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 11:51 PM

Inside source says they've looked at the forum and decided to cover the parking garage with sheets of our "quotes" to show how contentious of a building this is.

Last edited by AustinGoesVertical; May 14, 2016 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:01 AM

This is my first post in over three years of following the Austin skyscraper forum but I feel I have to say something with the unbelievable volume of hate-filled, design-bashing posts that seem to permeate through most of the project threads recently.

First, give credit to the architect for trying to design something unique and pushing the status quo of the somewhat generic office tower scene in Austin. I'm not a huge fan of this building either, but isn't that spirit of being different what makes Austin so weird and cool? God forbid Brandywine had proposed another boxy, rectangular blue pane glass tower that would be a middle child to the Colorado Tower and 5th & Colorado which some of you would no doubt gripe, bitch and moan about for months on end....

Second, some of you are flipping out over the amount of parking associated with this project. Due to the sheer number of entry-level employees and vendors that will work in this building (or any office tower DT) that can't afford to live anywhere near the core of the city, ridiculously large parking podiums are a "necessary evil" for office developers to successfully lease these projects quickly. I know everyone seems to think light rail is THE solution to our traffic and mobility problems but it's simply not (plus even if a proposal got voter approval on the November ballot we are still AT LEAST 7-8 years out from having an operational system - what are office developers supposed to do in the meantime? You can get away with providing little or even no parking in a residential tower DT but not office - that is project suicide). It is also been a priority of Brandywine's to provide additional parking for the ground floor retail AND public parking so they can simultaneously serve all three segments. The Warehouse District is arguably the most desirable part of DT to provide public parking for obvious reasons.

Third, take some comfort in this: 405 Colorado is not going to be tall enough to be visible over the other existing and soon-to-be constructed towers when looking at the skyline from the West, SW, South, SE or East. The only part of town this building will be clearly visible to is the Northside, and even then you'll only be able to see the "molar" portion and not the parking podium which I believe is the largest source of discontent with the design for most of you.

Some of y'all are REAL design snobs. Our city has a fantastic skyline largely thanks to the incredible mix of colors, sizes, designs and styles of the various buildings. This project will at least contribute to that diversity if nothing else aesthetically. I respect everyone's opinion and design debate is a fun part of this forum but lately it feels kind of overwhelming when so many of the new "updates" I see on these threads are just more complaints about how awful some aspect of the design is rather than project specifics (props to you, The ATX, for all the timely permitting posts lately - they are very insightful). I'm just thankful that we live in a city going through such an intense development cycle with so many new projects to discuss - even if some of them like this one aren't the most aesthetically appealing. That is my rant....I've been taking some incredible pictures of all the new high-rise projects DT and I'll start sharing the more recent ones with you guys. Cheers

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:24 AM

Edit removed

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXPhil View Post
This is my first post in over three years of following the Austin skyscraper forum but I feel I have to say something with the unbelievable volume of hate-filled, design-bashing posts that seem to permeate through most of the project threads recently.

First, give credit to the architect for trying to design something unique and pushing the status quo of the somewhat generic office tower scene in Austin. I'm not a huge fan of this building either, but isn't that spirit of being different what makes Austin so weird and cool? God forbid Brandywine had proposed another boxy, rectangular blue pane glass tower that would be a middle child to the Colorado Tower and 5th & Colorado which some of you would no doubt gripe, bitch and moan about for months on end....

Second, some of you are flipping out over the amount of parking associated with this project. Due to the sheer number of entry-level employees and vendors that will work in this building (or any office tower DT) that can't afford to live anywhere near the core of the city, ridiculously large parking podiums are a "necessary evil" for office developers to successfully lease these projects quickly. I know everyone seems to think light rail is THE solution to our traffic and mobility problems but it's simply not (plus even if a proposal got voter approval on the November ballot we are still AT LEAST 7-8 years out from having an operational system - what are office developers supposed to do in the meantime? You can get away with providing little or even no parking in a residential tower DT but not office - that is project suicide). It is also been a priority of Brandywine's to provide additional parking for the ground floor retail AND public parking so they can simultaneously serve all three segments. The Warehouse District is arguably the most desirable part of DT to provide public parking for obvious reasons.

Third, take some comfort in this: 405 Colorado is not going to be tall enough to be visible over the other existing and soon-to-be constructed towers when looking at the skyline from the West, SW, South, SE or East. The only part of town this building will be clearly visible to is the Northside, and even then you'll only be able to see the "molar" portion and not the parking podium which I believe is the largest source of discontent with the design for most of you.

Some of y'all are REAL design snobs. Our city has a fantastic skyline largely thanks to the incredible mix of colors, sizes, designs and styles of the various buildings. This project will at least contribute to that diversity if nothing else aesthetically. I respect everyone's opinion and design debate is a fun part of this forum but lately it feels kind of overwhelming when so many of the new "updates" I see on these threads are just more complaints about how awful some aspect of the design is rather than project specifics (props to you, The ATX, for all the timely permitting posts lately - they are very insightful). I'm just thankful that we live in a city going through such an intense development cycle with so many new projects to discuss - even if some of them like this one aren't the most aesthetically appealing. That is my rant....I've been taking some incredible pictures of all the new high-rise projects DT and I'll start sharing the more recent ones with you guys. Cheers
Welcome, and thanks for your post. I agree that this forum has turned into not much more than hateful critiques over the past few months. Architecture is art, and everyone has an opinion on the aesthetics of each project which is to be expected on a discussion board. But so many of the recent posts have been not much more than creative attempts at hating on something.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 4:32 AM

Quote:

I found what I believe to be the true inspiration for this dreadful design!
atxphil, nothing snobbish or hate filled intended. Really??? True, I do not like this design or many other buildings dt. I've lived here since 81 and came from NY and love a grand skyline. I've posted and contributed to this forum a couple of times and share my opinions, in the case of this thread, for many who read my posts, its tongue in cheek. While I disagree with much of what you said, actually all of it, and your tone, in light of the fun we sometimes try to have here, I think you are being a bit too serious and defensive, and you bashed some good regulars who imo can... "gripe, bitch and moan" all they want without repudiation. And on your first post! Congrats! Its ok for you to voice your opinion, just don't be boorish about it.
He wasn't boorish. Your incessant attempts at creative hate towards this building are boorish. Everybody is entitled to their opinion obviously, and that's what makes discussion boards like this fun. But opinions can be tiresome when the poor horse is beaten to death over and over and over again.

Last edited by The ATX; May 14, 2016 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
He wasn't boorish. Your incessant attempts at creative hate towards this building are boorish. Everybody is entitled to their opinion obviously, and that's what makes discussion boards like this fun. But opinions can be tiresome when the poor horse is beaten to death over and over and over again.
I apologize. I guess I was trying too hard at being humorous about this and didn't realize I actually became an annoyance. Not my intent. I actually don't have a hate bone in my body for this or anyone. Guess I took this too far of which I'm sorry. The ATX, I always respected and appreciate your posts and contributions. I don't mind being set straight by you. Consider problem solved I also want to apologize to anyone else I upset.

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 7:35 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I apologize. I guess I was trying too hard at being humorous about this and didn't realize I actually became an annoyance. Not my intent. I actually don't have a hate bone in my body for this or anyone. Guess I took this too far of which I'm sorry. The ATX, I always respected and appreciate your posts and contributions. I don't mind being set straight by you. Consider problem solved I also want to apologize to anyone else I upset.
Appreciate you rising above it and not being defensive as some can be when called out. I too have been a bit sarcastic with this one, so I'm right there with you.

So...moving on.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 10:27 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Bravo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin