HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtown420 View Post
I like trump, but there are definitely other condos I’d rather live in.
Will it really have 64 floors, or are they skipping some in that count?

Have you guys seen the Juhl Webcam? I love this cam. You can see most downtown projects.

Great pics btw.
I counted the panes of glass on the renderings and came up with 58 floors. It looked to me like there's 8 floors for the podium and 50 floors above that.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:23 AM
manabouttown

Hey Bob

I am a real estate investor in Las Vegas as well as San Diego, Deer Valley (that is a ski resort in Utah, you probably didnt know) as well as several top projects in Panama (the country). I am not someone who would buy an over priced cookie-cutter project like Trump. You probably dont know, but Trump has very little hands-on contact with the projects. He licenses his name and not much else. Which is probably a good thing, since 'The Donald' is alot more name brand than actual real estate knowledge. In the industry this is well known. But I knew that you wouldnt know that by you superficial dazzlement with the Trump Las Vegas project. Compare Trump to the Waldorf Astoria building and you will see the difference. The Trump design is very ordinary and not innovative. If you are going to buy into a condo/hotel property (I am sure you are not) then why not get an iconic look, as opposed to a rehash of a building that is passe.

Taking pictures and posting them with shallow comments may impress your friends but nothing more.
t

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:41 AM
manabouttown

Wynn via Nordstroms

Great idea!

Lets pay $750k for a place in Vegas so that we can walk a few hundred yards to a property that is actually on the strip like Wynn. Here is the good part. We get to go to Nordtroms first, maybe check out the half-yearly sale and spray on some perfume. Never mind that your feet will be sore in those spiked hills and the fact that the average age of Trump owners is well over 60 years old. I guess being that old means that they wont mind being home before 9 pm when they close the Nordstrom store. Otherwise we can walk across the Frontiers parking lot, because there isnt even a sidewalk. Today has been a mini-hurricane all dayin Vegas. Never mind, your hair still looks better than the Donalds.

If you think Trump is a great deal, try Platinum. You get an equally lousy location, for half the money.

If you really think it is 50ft from Trump to Nordstroms then you probably
think that Trump tower is closer to the strip than to Industrial Road.

My point is, Why tout a project with so many negatives, when there are quality projects being build for the same price points? No reason at all.

Last edited by manabouttown; Dec 29, 2006 at 3:48 AM. Reason: If you measure 50ft. from Trump to Nordstroms, then you probably think that the tower is really on the Strip

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 6:56 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Both sites for the second towers are being used as staging areas for the first towers. The second Allure tower is being redesigned with a hotel component and will be taller than originally planned.
What!? Allure looks good with twin towers! Hopefully the redesign will be even better

Trump, well yeah its a gold box. Not much about it. Palazzo, is HUGE! Sad to see Stardust go, the tower was still pretty new, 1991.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 7:16 AM

Yeah, gold glass isn't very unique in Vegas.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Otherwise we can walk across the Frontiers parking lot, because there isnt even a sidewalk. Today has been a mini-hurricane all dayin Vegas.
You forgot to add that you could go out the back door and walk right across the street to the Deja Vu strip club. Less than a block to see naked chicks? That's worth $800K to me.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Yeah, gold glass isn't very unique in Vegas.

while gold glass may not be unique, it is somehow fitting of vegas. I do wish, however, they would stop making everythign beige. Vegas has got to be the only city on the planet with so many stuccoed looking high rises.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 9:53 PM
manabouttown

Trump can build a unique project.

I was in Panama City, Panama the first week of Dec. looking at investment property. The Trump project there is very good looking and looks like a giant sail boat. It is still in conception and hasnt started yet. It will sit in Punta Pacifica, which is a slightly higher, prime location on the water. But like all Trump projects, it is 3X more expensive than the project that I bought. The building will be an iconic project, unlike Trump Las Vegas which looks like a Holiday Inn project.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williasj View Post
while gold glass may not be unique, it is somehow fitting of vegas. I do wish, however, they would stop making everythign beige. Vegas has got to be the only city on the planet with so many stuccoed looking high rises.
I agree, the Palazzo, for instance, will be yet another big tan colored box, I'm afraid.

Last edited by mdiederi; Dec 29, 2006 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 10:40 PM

Here's a new portrait of Sky. Getting close to being finished. What's your analysis of this property? Architecturally it's nothing revolutionary or iconic, but somehow it's like a breath of fresh air for Las Vegas.

Last edited by mdiederi; Dec 30, 2006 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 11:22 PM

Long time lurker

Hello all - long time lurker and absolute fan of this site. mdiederi's pics kick @ss. I was compelled to comment on man-about-town's comment on Trump. After doing massive due diligence on all the "strip" condos, I too came to the same conclusions about the Trump towers that MAT came to. The one thing I overlooked in my analysis is the value of Brand and Marketing. Trump will have hours of infomercials starting next month on tower 2 of this Vegas project on his next season of Apprentice. That'll sell a few units.

I chose Sky hoping that the building would sell itself after it was completed. Full balconies, sliding windows in the bathrooms and bedrooms and individual ventilation ports per unit does not look very sexy on the outside but man it sure makes for a nice place to live.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that some of these North strip projects like Fountainebleau, LVTI, Summit and even Maxim get built. Thanks again for all your great pictures mdieder. I know I'm totally biased but Sky is looking better than I had even hoped. So few buildings end up looking as good as their initial renderings.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 1:18 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I've always liked Sky. It's always seemed a very classy (as opposed to gaudy) and fresh, and as mentioned, it seems the developers are really letting this one sell itself as opposed to all of the fanfare (often too much sometimes) for other projects. Sometimes, it's the extra fanfare that should raise a red flag as to the quality of the project, as it reeks of overcompensation. Again, I don't doubt Trump is a decent project, but it's hardly tops, and Trump is known for using hype and name to sell lackluster projects. He's selling a name brand, not necessarily quality.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 4:50 AM
Desert Dweller

Sky Las Vegas is defantly one on the nicer projects. A nice slice of Miami right in Vegas, (lets not forget Turnberry, although 4 was too much) It came out just right, I love its blue windows.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 4:10 AM

on the interior. arent the blue windows blue on BOTH sides? meaning when you look out everything is a shade of blue, like sunglasses...i think i remember a picture of this..if so, that would suck....how about panorama or trump...is everything the color of the window?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 8:20 AM

Wooden model of the Union Park master plan downtown.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 10:53 AM

thats an old union park model. the baseball stadium is no longer planned.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:21 PM

Yeah, you're right, it's obviously based on an earlier vision. I don't know when it was made, or remember ever seeing pictures of this model posted before, but the actual model just went on display this month, so figured I'd post photos of it just for the record. Must be an earlier working model. Looks like they also include Club Renaissance off to the side there, and that project seems to be pretty much dead.

Last edited by mdiederi; Jan 1, 2007 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:34 PM

Sky blue glass

Hey Scott, yeah funny thing. I've been up in my unit twice now and took pictures both times through the blue glass. When I'm up there, you don't notice the blue tint at all but when you take pictures and look at them, they are super blue looking. This second time I went up a few weeks ago, the flash pictures make the glass look very blue from the inside but without the flash you can't see it. Strange. The lights aren't on yet in the building so I don't know how it will look with inside lights on. Also, OT, I have pictures of the lots where the Fontainebleau and LVTI are hopefully going from directly across the street if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 8:23 PM

Which side of the building are you located, gmcclenon?

I'd like to see your photos of the Las Vegas Tower and Fontainebleau lots from that view.
Hopefully they'll start construction in 2007 and you can take some update photos from there.
(And thanks for your comments about my photos, btw.)

Here's the empty lot where Maxim's three towers are going. That's going
to be a dense cluster of skyscrapers in that area when it's all done.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 12:39 AM

I'm in a corner unit (08 stack) pointing at the strip. I think Sky got under the wire and received a generous waiver on setback. The 08 corner units sit only 60 feet from the strip. Great for the view but we'll see how bad the steet noise is. Probably won't be leaving the sliding glass doors open....

I noticed that the Maxim also asked for a setback variance. 120 feet or so if I remember right. Yeah, three 700ish foot towers on that small lot next door. It's a good thing all of Sky's balconies stick out so at least the units on that side will still have some kind of view.

Yeah, no problem on the pictures. From what I can tell from LVTI's renderings, Fontainebleau looks like it is going to have a 5th floor 'lake', fountains and a waterfall down to steet level. That'll be nuts. I'll be taking pictures for sure. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures. I'm sure it's not that hard. Just get an account at photobucket or something?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations