HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Would you call the Bay truly high end? What about stores in the USA like Nieman Marcus. It seems it is still operating, based out of Dallas. It was suggested for Vancouver at one time, years back. Just an idea.
well you haven't seen the new bay, they carry many high end labels now like givenchy, balmain, black label ralph lauren etc. they have really switched things around, the downtown vancouver store is supposed to be getting an instore burberry boutique

the mens is much better now, many labels only carried at the bay, they have a huge selection of every level of hugo boss as well

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:51 AM

plus those housewives of vancouver with all their money could support a high end store on their own lol - who else can afford 4 houses in west vancouver probably doesn't blink at dropping $4000 on a balmain outfit

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:15 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 22, 2022 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:21 AM

this most certainly cannot be the big big news, because the last article i read on the sears building said that it could support an office tower at least the size of td tower right next door. everybody knew sears was going down.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:31 AM

I fee the same, if this is the big big news, i feel a little cheated, hehe, was hoping for a 600 foot + office tower.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:09 AM

Heather Deal please shut up! Now she's on the bandwagon to have the VAG move into Sears. She should know the facts before she starts spewing ideas, and in this case all they require is a little common sense.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2357590/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
Heather Deal please shut up! Now she's on the bandwagon to have the VAG move into Sears. She should know the facts before she starts spewing ideas, and in this case all they require is a little common sense.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2357590/
But think! A modern art gallery in the Sears building would be our equivalent of Centre Pompidou in Paris!!! /sarcasm

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:27 PM

one of the friends on my facebook was discussing the sears building and a lot of the people wanted to see the VAG take it over - some just wanted it to get washed

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:27 PM

A power wash would be great for that building at this point. It's just so scummy-looking right now.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van23H View Post
Nordstrom is much more high end the Bay. Some Nordstroms house in-store boutiques for Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Prada and etc... I believe there is room in the market for another high end department store. The Holt Renfrew in Vancouver is always in dead heat with the Bloor store for top sales. Plus we have a large asian population who are steady buyers and consumers of luxury goods and create a stable market coupled with wealthy tourists. I think the addition of Nordstrom would help to create some healthy competition in Vancouver while offering us more options in a currently brand skimpy shopping environment. The closure of Sears offers new and exciting opportunities in the Vancouver retail landscape and I look forward to seeing what happens to the building in the near future.
Nordstrom operates somwhere between the Bay and Holts in terms of high end offerings. It would fill a nice niche in Canada where I think they would do quite well, and clearly they feel the same way.

There is little reason for Neiman Marcus to come to Canada as tey would be in direct competition with Holts which is already well established and serves the high end relatively well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
this most certainly cannot be the big big news, because the last article i read on the sears building said that it could support an office tower at least the size of td tower right next door. everybody knew sears was going down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I fee the same, if this is the big big news, i feel a little cheated, hehe, was hoping for a 600 foot + office tower.
Jesus you guys are tough to please. Everyone spends years on this site bitchig about the Sears building and how they want it gone, it finally happens and all you can say is the news wasn't big enough.

I give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
one of the friends on my facebook was discussing the sears building and a lot of the people wanted to see the VAG take it over - some just wanted it to get washed
Well I'm sure the VAG would love the space, but given how much CF spent getting Sears out you can imagine how they aren't very excited to just fire off the space to someone who is going to pay little to no rent.

First choice is clearly Nordstrom, if that doesn't pan out you can be certain they have several other options to justify the buyout.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Jesus you guys are tough to please. Everyone spends years on this site bitchig about the Sears building and how they want it gone, it finally happens and all you can say is the news wasn't big enough.

I give up.
Well I happen to think it's huge news. Any change to that building's exterior will be a welcome one. I am thrilled to hear that Sears is finally leaving. This is fantastic news for downtown Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:01 PM

If the building stays, I just hope some sort of retail (or something, anything!) could be built on the Granville/Robson sides, given its location. It deserves more than what's currently there:

The entrance at Granville and Georgia actually isn't that bad!

Sears by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:01 PM

I still think it's a shame something Weslake Center-ish couldn't go in there, anchored very possibly by Nordstrom, with a bit of structural and cosmetic redesign for the whole building, (like windows, awnings, maybe a glass atrium rooftop garden ...)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:23 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I still think it's a shame something Weslake Center-ish couldn't go in there, anchored very possibly by Nordstrom, with a bit of structural and cosmetic redesign for the whole building, (like windows, awnings, maybe a glass atrium rooftop garden ...)
What's to say the layout won't be highly altered. Nordstrom ( or any other department store tenant ) is highly unlikely to occupy the entire enormous Sears / Eatons space, my guess would be three floor max and likely the upper floors much like San Francisco Centre, the lower floors could very likely be 'two storey' flagship sized spaces much like Yorkdale giving it an open, airy feel and connecting the existing mall straight through to Robson which is the natural traffic pattern. Personally I think Westlake Center is awful, short floors, bad flow, lots of dead ends and lacks direct access to a major anchor, it's suffered over the years with many vacant spaces and the loss of Neiman Marcus Galleries in the early 2000's. I do get your point, however, regarding a similar format as the size and scope of the current building would adapt well.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:

I give up.
Bad tact by me. Anyways, don't give up, any inside information is appreciated.

Not sure if I read it here or somewhere else about the frame of the sears building being strong enough to support a significant office tower. That would be a welcome change from what's currently there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Word on the street is this will be Jysk's new flagship store

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkat View Post
What is Jysk, (or is it J.Y.S.K.)? Love to know

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:30 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 22, 2022 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkat View Post

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Nordstrom operates somwhere between the Bay and Holts in terms of high end offerings. It would fill a nice niche in Canada where I think they would do quite well, and clearly they feel the same way.

There is little reason for Neiman Marcus to come to Canada as tey would be in direct competition with Holts which is already well established and serves the high end relatively well.

I give up.

Well I'm sure the VAG would love the space, but given how much CF spent getting Sears out you can imagine how they aren't very excited to just fire off the space to someone who is going to pay little to no rent.

First choice is clearly Nordstrom, if that doesn't pan out you can be certain they have several other options to justify the buyout.
Sorry to be a Debbie downer. I just dream a little too big, I was hoping that the "Sears closing" announcement was going to be just part of a much larger announcement involving re-building the entire site with office towers, new south exit for Van City Centre station and a brand new retail podium with lights and digital billboards on the Robson / Granville side.

Having Sears closing is great news! But for me it seems to be only the first step of a true big announcement. What is done with the site and what replaces Sears could go either way, it actually makes me nervous. For example, a new tenant could move in without even re-cladding the building. Another bad scenario is that condo towers are built on site (and this area would be the worst in the entire city to have condo towers). I guess thats why I feel like this, because as is right now it is very open ended.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver