HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:23 PM

You sure you weren't looking at the cam on Sunday? Lol. I've never noticed a slow down in excavation during the winter (in general) If there is a big storm then yes I can see a site being slowed down during it. They do have pumps set up to pump out water so sites don't flood. Personally I have found the wind is more of a slow down than rain. High winds will cause the crane to shut down which can screw things up

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
You sure you weren't looking at the cam on Sunday? Lol. I've never noticed a slow down in excavation during the winter (in general) If there is a big storm then yes I can see a site being slowed down during it. They do have pumps set up to pump out water so sites don't flood. Personally I have found the wind is more of a slow down than rain. High winds will cause the crane to shut down which can screw things up
I don't drink or do drugs. I am quite lucid to know that I was viewing the live webcam yesterday (re: Monday) during the pouring rain when all visible construction activity (e.g. crane and excavator/truck movement ceased) in the mud pit! You may be right about the general resilience of Vancouver's construction sites in winter but there is no denying that some degree of slowing work/rising cost can ensue!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:56 PM

As I said, yea during a storm it can slow down things. But in general, no I don't find sites slow down during the winter months at all

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:55 PM
Rational urbanist

Just because Caliplanner seems to be really into this development, here's a quick and dirty shot from the SkyTrain:

NorthWest excavation by Glass_City, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 12:52 AM
BANNED

GlassCity, much thanks. Really appreciate your effort/time. I am very much interested not only in the North West condo project but the entire Marine Gateway/Marpole Sky Train hub area. I enjoy the idea of a normally drab/dead part of Vancouver (re: South Van) being made alive and potentially exciting as an alternative entertainment/shopping destination. Hopefully the North West project will provide more residential customers and even a few street level stores into the new vibrancy mix at Marine and Cambie.

Last edited by Caliplanner1; Sep 9, 2015 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:45 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
GlassCity, much thanks. Really appreciate your effort/time. I am very much interested not only in the North West condo project but the entire Marine Gateway/Marpole Sky Train hub area. I enjoy the idea of a normally drab/dead part of Vancouver (re: South Van) being made alive and potentially exciting as an alternative entertainment/shopping destination. Hopefully the North West project will provide more residential customers and even a few street level stores into the new vibrancy mix at Marine and Cambie.
No worries, it's no effort at all, I was coming back from school anyway. Unfortunately I'm never on the ground in that area so SkyTrain/bus shots will be the best I'll be able to do in between the more comprehensive updates from our other forumers.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
No worries, it's no effort at all, I was coming back from school anyway. Unfortunately I'm never on the ground in that area so SkyTrain/bus shots will be the best I'll be able to do in between the more comprehensive updates from our other forumers.
That Sky Train vantage point is a great one; one that I noticed on a Sky Train trip from YVR last year. Thanks again!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 6:00 AM

Some pics from Monday. The first one is through the glass of the Canada Line station platform. A crane is up now.

Sept.28 '15, my pics

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:49 AM
BANNED

Sweet,....thanks!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 11:54 PM

Rode the Canada Line on Saturday and saw foundations and rebar poking up from the base of the pit.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 12:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Rode the Canada Line on Saturday and saw foundations and rebar poking up from the base of the pit.
That's good news. Hopefully the winter snow/rains won't slow down construction so that we can see progress above ground by January/February next year.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:09 PM

I wish they can start rezoning more of that area to a high-density, high-rise neighbourhood commercial centre. All the projects around the skytrain station ought to be mixed use (office, retail, hotel, etc.) and not just residential only.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I wish they can start rezoning more of that area to a high-density, high-rise neighbourhood commercial centre. All the projects around the skytrain station ought to be mixed use (office, retail, hotel, etc.) and not just residential only.
Indeed,....given the proximity to the airport I also agree that the Marine Gateway area needs a good level hotel/retail development.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Indeed,....given the proximity to the airport I also agree that the Marine Gateway area needs a good level hotel/retail development.
Aye Aye. Unfortunately, the ones approved to be built right now are all residential.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
A Holiday Inn or Best Western or Red Roof Inn type hotel might do well in that area with YVR just a short train trip away as a selling feature.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 10:23 PM

The Coast Hotel just west of there had applied to expand several years ago, but it's not walking distance to the station.
The Comfort Inn at SE Marine and Fraser is also salted to be redeveloper for residential.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 12:11 AM

Liking how this is going, hopefully were above ground sooner than later!!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:21 PM

You guys can expect many more updates from this vantage point for the forseeable future.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:36 PM

Great pic thx

Caliplanner is going to love you

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 6:40 PM
BANNED

LOL,....Osirisboy, I might even go one step further,...to see if Vanman has room for me to move in at his new vantage point LOL. Thanks for the update Vanman, I see you've moved in to your new digs. Hope that you're liking it. I think that that little neighborhood (re: Marine Gateway) is going to be something special (with the right complement of projects).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver