HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
No need, he's 100% correct.
Quote:
"The Saskatchewan Rush captured their third National Lacrosse League title on Saturday night, capitalizing on four goals from Jeff Shattler to take Game 3 of the best-of-three series 15-10 over the Rochester Knighthawks"

http://www.nll.com/news/rush-win-thi...r-knighthawks/
Yeah, I knew I had read it right, www.NLL.com it's self lists it as Saskatchewan Rush winning 3 titles so I guess that makes it official as far as the league itself is concerned, "Saskatchewan Rush" has won the title 3 times in the last 4 years for the same owner throughout. The Championship banner for 2015 does hang from Sasktel Centre rafters too apparently.

Fun Fact, Saskatchewan Rush at SaskTel Centre had the highest spectator attendance in the NLLeague in 2018 with almost 15 thousand people per game on average, & with Denver, Buffalo, & Calgary following close behind.

Quote:
Originally posted by SignalHillHiker
Season tickets are now on sale for the Newfoundland Growlers in the ECHL. People seem to be really excited to be playing against New York and Indiana in this league for some reason, but I don't follow hockey so I've no idea why.
Maybe it's rare for teams from America to be playing in Newfoundland. Especially for ECHL (East Coast Hockey League)?

I don't know what to equate it to.
Hockey teams from Saskatchewan like Prince Albert Raiders or Moose Jaw Warriors or the current WHL (Western Hockey League) champs, the Swift Current Broncos (& namesake for the Humboldt Broncos) winning Championship finals against Everett, Washington in 2018, and all these Saskatchewan teams have been hosting teams from America like Portland Winterhawks or Seattle Thunderbirds for so long, nobody thinks much about any sort of novelty about saying "Swift Current hosting Seattle tonight".

Another Fun Fact, Victoria, BC Salmon Kings were a team in the ECHL before Victoria was able to get a WHL team for it's self.

With Swift Current Broncos and Saskatchewan Rush both winning their league Championships, Saskatchewan is certainly being recognized as the Province of Champions
Go 2018 Riders Go!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:42 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Maybe it's rare for teams from America to be playing in Newfoundland. Especially for ECHL (East Coast Hockey League)?

I don't know what to equate it to.
Hockey teams from Saskatchewan like Prince Albert Raiders or Moose Jaw Warriors or the current WHL (Western Hockey League) champs, the Swift Current Broncos (& namesake for the Humboldt Broncos) winning Championship finals against Everett, Washington in 2018, and all these Saskatchewan teams have been hosting teams from America like Portland Winterhawks or Seattle Thunderbirds for so long, nobody thinks much about any sort of novelty about saying "Swift Current hosting Seattle tonight".

Another Fun Fact, Victoria, BC Salmon Kings were a team in the ECHL before Victoria was able to get a WHL team for it's self.

With Swift Current Broncos and Saskatchewan Rush both winning their league Championships, Saskatchewan is certainly being recognized as the Province of Champions
Go 2018 Riders Go!!
We're not hicks - and there are a dozen or more east coast American teams, it's just those two in particular that people are excited about. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess there's Newfoundlanders on those teams. But I still haven't figured it out for sure.

That said, it is rare for ECHL teams to play here. Hasn't happened even once yet, we're just joining.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post

Victoria in the East Coast Hockey League...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
100%? Acajack got one. The Rush franchise has won 3 of the last 4. Not the Saskatchewan Rush. Phiadelphia and Toronto are tied for most championships.
Remind me never to let you cut my hair, cause you clearly like to split hairs.

The league considers the Rush to be a single franchise, so it's perfectly valid to say the Saskatchewan Rush are 3-time champions. Everyone knows that includes the Edmonton Rush's victory.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:43 PM

So what about this Olivier Rioux kid from Montreal, 12 years old and standing 6' 10".

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...rray-1.4713242

Could you imagine being on the grade 7 basketball team and being assigned to cover him?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:24 PM

Maybe lose the trash talking when you’re 2 feet taller than everybody else.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Maybe lose the trash talking when you’re 2 feet taller than everybody else.

Haha... that takes some chutzpah for him to talk shit when he's taller than all of the opposing players' dads.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So what about this Olivier Rioux kid from Montreal, 12 years old and standing 6' 10".

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...rray-1.4713242

Could you imagine being on the grade 7 basketball team and being assigned to cover him?
Even though he can shoot decent enough, he's not going to be a basketball sensation. He's going to get taller and a lot heavier, and he'll be even less mobile as he gets older. When he runs/moves, it just looks painful.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
he's not going to be a basketball sensation. He's going to get taller and a lot heavier, and he'll be even less mobile as he gets older.
Kareem wasn't any great shakes either until a fella by the name of Jack Donohue got hold of him.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:52 AM

Anyone have any insight into what happening in the world of Canadian rugby? It seems they've almost completely fallen off the radar after years of being somewhat competitive.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Anyone have any insight into what happening in the world of Canadian rugby? It seems they've almost completely fallen off the radar after years of being somewhat competitive.
Our governing body is incompentent dog poop. I've given up on them entirely. I'd rather Ontario Arrows get into MLR than have Canada make the world cup.

They raised every player's dues- at all ages- explicitly to pay for the mens national team to try to qualify- while the women's national team, is literally still pay to play. At least the women won bronze at 7s in the olympics.

Plus, at the local level they just plain suck at promoting the sport. I feel like aside from "insurace" (more to cover their ass than ours) we get nothing back from them.

Unfortunately, I like playing with my club more than I'm pissed at RC. So I paid their dues, but they've already lost more money than that from me and will continue to. I would have bought that new Canterbury jersey for sure, but now I'll just get another Ticats jersey. I'll hold out till I don't buy tickets for the next Toronto/Hamilton test match, and I've been to every one since 2009.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:57 AM
ハルウララ

Wimbledon:
Raonic (13) and Shapovalov (28) are seeded for the tournament in the Men's draw. Schnur and Polansky both lost in the final qualifying round.

Bouchard qualified for the Women's draw.

Dabrowski & Xu Yifan (China) are seeded 6th in Women's Doubles.

Nestor's Men's Doubles team received a Wildcard into the Men's Doubles draw.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:42 PM

It wasn't until I joined this forum did I realize that Toronto and Ontario are "de facto Canada". This was pointed out a few times on various threads. I totally see it now.

First game of the Global T20 Canada cricket league was yesterday. Here are the teams:

Toronto Nationals
Cricket West Indies B
Edmonton Royals
Montreal Tigers
Winnipeg Hawks
Vancouver Knights

Toronto Nationals. Just like the Washington Nationals in baseball.

As for the other teams, a couple of really generic names in there. I hope those names stem from some kind of cricket history in those cities and weren't chosen randomly. Tigers and Hawks are two of the most uninspired names possible. Of course, the cities have nothing to do with those teams. They're just names for organizational purposes. Probably 99% of these players have never set foot in these cities.

Many of the players are bonafide superstars from around the world including the #1 batsman. The big names are being paid $100k USD for a couple of weeks work.

I admire those who are putting this show on. Can't see how this isn't a money-loser. But, the goal is to grow the game here and hopefully it pays dividends for the future. Especially since the ICC has chopped the WC down from 16 teams to 10. Canada has qualified for a few WCs in the past. Was nice to see them there play against the established nations.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Our governing body is incompentent dog poop. I've given up on them entirely. I'd rather Ontario Arrows get into MLR than have Canada make the world cup.

They raised every player's dues- at all ages- explicitly to pay for the mens national team to try to qualify- while the women's national team, is literally still pay to play. At least the women won bronze at 7s in the olympics.

Plus, at the local level they just plain suck at promoting the sport. I feel like aside from "insurace" (more to cover their ass than ours) we get nothing back from them.

Unfortunately, I like playing with my club more than I'm pissed at RC. So I paid their dues, but they've already lost more money than that from me and will continue to. I would have bought that new Canterbury jersey for sure, but now I'll just get another Ticats jersey. I'll hold out till I don't buy tickets for the next Toronto/Hamilton test match, and I've been to every one since 2009.
What a shame.

It's a great sport: great to play and great to watch.

It's too bad Canadians haven't bought in to a greater degree because, to me, it's a vastly superior game to Canadian/American football.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 2:13 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
What a shame.

It's a great sport: great to play and great to watch.

It's too bad Canadians haven't bought in to a greater degree because, to me, it's a vastly superior game to Canadian/American football.
I, for one, like that we're not a mirror image of every other country when it comes to sports culture. In the age of globalization every place is starting to look like every other place. Football is something Canadians can call their own. It's a sport developed here rather than imported from elsewhere.

I doubt that you're the only Canadian that prefers rugby to football. Likewise, there are likely people in the UK that prefer our football to rugby. There will always be people who prefer one to the other. That's normal but we should be careful not to dismiss the value of our own culture, whether we personally engage in it or not.

What's a shame is how so many Canadians don't even view football as Canadian (like they do hockey). Can you imagine if Brits started viewing rugby as Australian, and thus expendable?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 8:43 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post

It's absolutely tragic. I remember the optimism following the 2011 World Cup, but Canada has only regressed with every year since then. It's embarrassing.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I, for one, like that we're not a mirror image of every other country when it comes to sports culture. In the age of globalization every place is starting to look like every other place. Football is something Canadians can call their own. It's a sport developed here rather than imported from elsewhere.

we should be careful not to dismiss the value of our own culture, whether we personally engage in it or not.

What's a shame is how so many Canadians don't even view football as Canadian (like they do hockey). Can you imagine if Brits started viewing rugby as Australian, and thus expendable?
Great post

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:

I doubt that you're the only Canadian that prefers rugby to football. Likewise, there are likely people in the UK that prefer our football to rugby. There will always be people who prefer one to the other. That's normal but we should be careful not to dismiss the value of our own culture, whether we personally engage in it or not.

I don't hate Canadian/ American football. But I fell out of love with it long ago.

Loved it as a kid. Then I played it in high school. Hated the culture. It seems like a sport that lacked honour and respect. There was too much intent to injure. Experienced that quite a bit in hockey, too. Watch football today and it's just a bunch of (American) dudes sailing through the air like missiles trying to knock each other out. All the grandstanding, showboating...

Take the pads off. Take off the helmet. Learn to tackle. Learn some fundamentals.

I still like tossing the ball around, but having played (Canadian) football, rugby and more recently Australian football, I can now comfortably say that I've seen the light...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 6:38 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:

I agree with this overall, and one of my great sports fears is soccer actually developing staying power as a spectator sport in Canada. But I love rugby, and I'd love to see it get bigger here, at least big enough that people would recognize what it is. Like lacrosse maybe. I know that's probably impossible, but I do like watching football and I hope it grows in strength itself, for the reasons you stated.

Although ironically, rugby replacing football in popularity in Canada (not that it would happen) might actually do more for nationalist culture than the CFL growing in stature. Culturally, we compete with the US, not the UK, and sadly I think most people don't really recognize football as Canadian even a bit anymore. Rugby would set us apart much more, as even if the CFL got bigger, it would likely always still be considered our version of an American thing.

But like I already said, I personally would like to see the CFL matter more too.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:48 PM

I'd like it if Canadian football diverged from the American game, to become more unique. Possibly back towards a rugby style of game. Not really sure how exactly, but eventually the concussion issue will force changes to the game, and it will be a chance to be innovative.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada