HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:27 PM
Mr. Technology

By design, each tower is supposed to look different, not just a clone.
The media calls 1 WTC; "Freedom Tower", yet it looks nothing like the original twin towers.

As for 2 WTC, it’s going to look original and not a clone.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
What are the odds the final design is a twin of 1WTC?
That would be great. I doubt it, but to be honest, IMO... that would be worth the wait. Right now its sitting there doing nothing, just being a sad site. The problem is the amount of commitment to get another 1 WTC (space wise) built not to mention an easy +$4 Billion price tag.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:32 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Current Status btw...

Credit: https://www.onewtc.com/leasing

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...3-wtc-opening/

Larry Silverstein’s Big World Trade Center Bet Is Paying Off

BY REBECCA BAIRD
JUNE 20, 2018

Quote:
How do you think the rebuilding of the World Trade Center is going, 17 years on?

I’m thrilled that it’s here, that we’re opening it. It was a long time in coming. We had hoped to have had this site to develop much earlier on. But we took it when we could get it. We took possession of the site when the Port Authority completed its preparations although we did take it and proceed with construction. And so here we are with a finished product. I’m really pleased, because the building is an exquisite piece of real estate. It works spectacularly well with 7 [WTC], with 1 [WTC]; it also was opposite the Ronald Perelman Performing Arts Center, which is going to be finished at the end of next year. The performing arts center will be in place. And that will be a venue for 1,200 seats, or alternatively a 500-seat theater, a 400- and a 300-seat theater that can be operated independently of each other.

Then you look at the neighborhood and realize the residential population has tripled. We’ve leased about 7 million square feet of space down here. What’s extraordinary is we paid $3.2 billion when we acquired the Twin Towers prior to 9/11. You couldn’t replace any of these buildings for $3.2 billion. Seven [WTC] was not a big building. It was only 1.7 million square feet. Significantly less costly than these. Four [WTC] was expensive; three [WTC] was fiercely expensive. Two [WTC] will be hugely expensive. As was 1 [WTC]. And everything else down here.

Speaking of 2 [WTC], you’ve had a hard time developing that building. You’ve missed out on a couple of major anchor tenants. Are you confident you’re going to get an anchor tenant? What does the timeline look like?

At some point, someone’s going to come along. An occupant will present themselves at some point in the not-too-terribly distant future. I’m quite confident it’s going to happen.

Number one, it’s a building that can support 3 million feet of space; it’s large, very large.

Number two, we already have two designs for it. One is designed by Norman Foster, a Pritzker Prize winner, another is designed by Bjarke Ingels.

Both designs are fascinating; they’re both very attractive. The Bjarke Ingels design was chosen by Rupert Murdoch. James Murdoch, his son, was particularly interested in Bjarke Ingels’ design and [wanted him to] design the building because they had made the decision to occupy half the space in Tower Two. The whole lease was fully negotiated out; it was really sad. But he decided last minute—he was upset with the state of the world at the end of ‘15 and beginning of ‘16. It looked like there were some potentially serious financial issues that were presenting themselves. And it was a serious question of whether we were going back down into a financial abyss out of which we had recently come. I remember him calling me on the 15th day of January 2016 telling me he was concerned and it would not be wise to go ahead. So that happened. But nevertheless as a result of it, we came out with a Bjarke Ingels alternate design for the building.

Do you know how much you’re paying in rent for the 2 World Trade site while it sits idle?

I don’t think we’re paying rent on the site. As I recall, the specifics of the ground lease, I think [we don’t pay rent] until such time as we start construction.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:28 AM
Mr. Technology

As I understand it, Larry is right on target.
Next move, secure a major lease.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:02 AM
low-riding

wait a minute. I haven't been here in a long time. But going by that interview, the Norman Foster design could still be in play? I had thought it was dead and buried. I didn't know there was a chance it could still be built! did i read that wrong?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
wait a minute. I haven't been here in a long time. But going by that interview, the Norman Foster design could still be in play? I had thought it was dead and buried. I didn't know there was a chance it could still be built! did i read that wrong?
F+P and BIG's design are both still on the table, it's basically the tenants choice of what building they want

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:51 PM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

Some reassuring signals in Silverstein's quotes; at least he sounds patient and optimistic. I'd rather the lot sit empty for a long time than to squander an opportunity to do something significant.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Silverstein is saying he has two designs for the tower, the old design and the new one. It's not on the table. Seems like we've gone over it a hundred times, but here's the website for anyone who wants to know where tower 2 currently stands

https://www.silversteinproperties.co...d-trade-center

http://www.wtc.com/about/buildings/2-world-trade-center

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 12:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michagain View Post
Some reassuring signals in Silverstein's quotes; at least he sounds patient and optimistic. I'd rather the lot sit empty for a long time than to squander an opportunity to do something significant.
I wonder whats going to happen if lets say he passes away before any major deal occurs. They should sell the site, and relinquish control over the site. Give it to a different developer. I think thats what will happen eventually.

There is demand for office city wide too but for a site like this to be on-hold for so long, tells you something about the location, and the rates their asking. Its not like there isn't office construction and deals NOT being signed within the city, but quite the opposite. There is a toxic aroma regarding this tower, and the limiting reagent are the negotiations.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I wonder whats going to happen if lets say he passes away before any major deal occurs. They should sell the site, and relinquish control over the site. Give it to a different developer. I think thats what will happen eventually.

There is demand for office city wide too but for a site like this to be on-hold for so long, tells you something about the location, and the rates their asking. Its not like there isn't office construction and deals NOT being signed within the city, but quite the opposite. There is a toxic aroma regarding this tower, and the limiting reagent are the negotiations.
Even if he does pass away, Silverstein Properties would still be in existence. Not sure why you think it would just be up for grabs.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:44 PM

I suspect that only design remaining on the table is Bjarke Ingels project.
I think that time is an enemy only of the size-height of 2 wtc, but not of the fact that the tower will rise.
The tower will rise, but may be as tall as 4 wtc in my opinion and only for offices/ business.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
I think that time is an enemy only of the size-height of 2 wtc, but not of the fact that the tower will rise.
The tower will rise, but may be as tall as 4 wtc in my opinion and only for offices/ business.
This is going to be the second tallest of the campus as per the master plan. It won't be any shorter than 1080'.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:31 PM
New Yorker for life

That's correct. It will be the second tallest tower on site, nearly as tall as the Freedom Tower, and one of the tallest office buildings in the city and country.

Quote:
Number one, it’s a building that can support 3 million feet of space; it’s large, very large.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 1:07 AM

Selfishly, I hope the interview is true that both designs are in play. Although I will never complain about a 1200+ building, the foster design in my opinion is the icon with the diamonds at the top. The boxes stacked just don't look as good. That being said, there are hundreds of cities that would love either design and any anchor tenant that get this site finished deserves the tower they want.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
That's not true. The foundation for Foster's tower exists. It would be the cheapest and easiest design to build. If Goldman decides to build Foster's tower in two months, that's what will rise. Larry won't say no because he wants BIG's tower, which was designed for NewsCorp. For that matter, although part of NewsCorp is about to be owned by Disney, those operations that are currently based in NY will continue to be. Murdoch extended his lease on 6th for 5 years. Therefore, for all that we know, now that its financial situation has been settled, it may eventually wind up a 2 WTC.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's correct. It will be the second tallest tower on site, nearly as tall as the Freedom Tower, and one of the tallest office buildings in the city and country.
BIG's design would look neat when you consider 56 Leonard Street and Jersey City Urby.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 10:37 PM
Mr. Technology

This is what I want:

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 1:02 PM

This is what I want.

Neither is going to happen lol

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
That's not true. The foundation for Foster's tower exists. It would be the cheapest and easiest design to build. If Goldman decides to build Foster's tower in two months, that's what will rise. Larry won't say no because he wants BIG's tower, which was designed for NewsCorp. For that matter, although part of NewsCorp is about to be owned by Disney, those operations that are currently based in NY will continue to be. Murdoch extended his lease on 6th for 5 years. Therefore, for all that we know, now that its financial situation has been settled, it may eventually wind up a 2 WTC.
Since the government has now approved Disney’s takeover of 21st Century Fox, the prospect that I raised seems even more viable. Fox, which has a few years left on its lease, had sought over 1 m sf at 2 WTC. Disney currently seeks about 1m sf.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction