HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wayne View Post
I would love to see a high speed rail station as part of the station lads developement.
oh for fcuk sakes...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:52 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
oh for fcuk sakes...
What... as much as we don't need it now, it is a part of the RAM concept.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:25 PM
DRINK

Meh.... It’s just a pipe dream to toss so it’s more palatable to the rest of the province. The province knows it’s not going to be built any time soon, but they have to fool the ignorant masses from around the province who think a museum is bad spending and a white elephant HSR is good spending. Just ignore it and it will go away….

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:19 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I'm not too opposed to it. We will be needing it in the next 100 years, when Alberta is 10 million strong.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 5:17 PM

^I'm not quite sure how you can be certain 10 million will be living in this province in 100 years. Especially considering populations globally are supposed to stabilize in growth mid-century and then decline slowly. The era of great growth is (probably, according ti various sources) nearing its end. Then again, due to climate change, Canada will likely have much more desirable weather while places like Africa, Central America, and Southeast Asia will likely have unbearable weather, which could see the mass migration to territories to be "positively"' affected by climate change, such as Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Antarctica, and Argentina.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 5:44 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

While populations may stabilise, population redistributions will still occur.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 2:52 PM

When it comes back to the Royal Alberta Museum

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 3:00 PM

I don't believe it is so far into the future as one may think. One needs to look at the high cost to the tax payer and weather or not it is better to build it at today's prises rather then weighting another 10 or 20 years when the costs could be double. Don't be to surprised if it doesn't become a leadership isue during the next few months .

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 3:04 PM

I t would not surprise me at all if at the same time as we build the museum that the Provence doesn't build the HSR station and even the Calgary HSR station.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 4:51 PM

lets talk about the Museum in this thread and not HSR. The announcement was as crystal clear that it was not for the construction of HSR with the funding announced. In fact the funding does not even include the entire cost of the museum portion.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 4:55 PM

No problem Jasper. I guess i just got a bit carried away .

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:39 PM
Community Guy

Royal Alberta Museum short list has global flavour

Favourite teams for facility's renewal hail from UK, Japan, U.S. and Canada

BY CODI WILSON, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM JULY 4, 2011 1:21 PM

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Image from 3DI Interactive, taken from computer generated video, of the proposed new Royal Alberta Museum developement announced Thursday.
Photograph by: Supplied, edmontonjournal.com
EDMONTON - Four contractors have been shortlisted for the Royal Alberta Museum renewal project. Candidates have been asked to submit design proposals and the successful group will be notified in September.

“We are challenging these architects and engineers to provide a design that captivates and inspires its visitors,” said Ray Danyluk, minister of infrastructure. “This is a rare opportunity to deliver an accessible landmark building in the heart of our capital city; one that defines our Alberta identity, has the flexibility to adapt with us as we grow, and welcomes generations of Albertans and visitors to come again and again.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...180/story.html

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 8:36 PM

Quote:
The site for the new location has not officially been purchased, but the province and the city are working to acquire a spot on the northeast corner of 103A Avenue and 99th Street.
WHAT? For a project that has been delayed/shelved for over a decade, I would be a little worried by the fact that we don't even have the land!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 8:39 PM
Community Guy

Could likely be a Federal 'contribution' type thing... land for $1 worth 'X'. Paperwork.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 3:00 AM

As exited as i am to see construction started this year, I would rather they give it to November to decide which developer get to build the museum as i cant help but think how much of a challenge it will be to come up with a design that is worthy of Edmonton by September. Does anyone else have any concerns with the September deadline.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 6:08 AM
Community Guy

I cannot see how drawings can get done by then... Even if staged. I would bet late spring 2012 start.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 1:17 PM

Drawings no, concept yes.

Design-build JV looks like, so they will break ground and run construction and design concurently and control risk of rework within their price unless change is dictated by owner.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 4:22 PM
Community Guy

Design-Build was expected yes, Concurrent construction/drawings yes, but I will be surprised if they can move it by this fall.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I cannot see how drawings can get done by then... Even if staged. I would bet late spring 2012 start.
You need to get out and exp. what is happening in the 'real' world....this project is fast tracked and the team that is successful WILL be fully committed to the GoA timelines. Change can be beneficial.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
You need to get out and exp. what is happening in the 'real' world....this project is fast tracked and the team that is successful WILL be fully committed to the GoA timelines. Change can be beneficial.
Fast tracked projects with concurrent construction and design are very difficult and carry a higher risk premium in the bid associate to the risk of re-work. Change in construction, in my experience, is rarely beneficial once the shovels hit the dirt and requires very careful management. I've had the oppurtunity to talk to a few senior people involved in P3s and Design-builds on projects of this budget and higher, they are not easy and very challenging for all parties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton