HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:41 AM

Hwy 1 Aldergrove construction?

I was driving between 232nd and 264th the other day, and I noticed they've put concrete barriers up on the eastbound lanes, shifted traffic over to the right, and are taking down all the trees in the centre median. Doesn't fall under the scope of the Port Mann/Hwy 1 Gateway project as far as I can tell from the website.. this is the only information I can find out about it:

http://www.bchighway.com/report/coast.shtml

All the barriers seem a bit extreme for simple tree removal/falling. So my question is... what are they doing in this stretch of Hwy 1?

Sorry it was night time... couldn't get any decent pictures.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:53 AM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 1:01 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the info. There's signage on the westbound lanes as well for construction, but doesn't appear to be anything going on, on that side.. at least, not yet.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 1:05 AM

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayproje...splays_web.pdf

To me it seems a shame that they can't extend the third lane from 208th or 216th or whatever it is out to 232nd - otherwise you have trucks weaving in, and out, and in, and out again.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr3trkr View Post
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayproje...splays_web.pdf

To me it seems a shame that they can't extend the third lane from 208th or 216th or whatever it is out to 232nd - otherwise you have trucks weaving in, and out, and in, and out again.
I agree with you on that, but to a point, the segment between 200 Street and 232 Street doesn't have congestion issues, 232 Street was the backlog.

As well, through there, they have a hefty railway overpass that will need to be replaced, which may be quite difficult/costly to replace.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I agree with you on that, but to a point, the segment between 200 Street and 232 Street doesn't have congestion issues, 232 Street was the backlog.

As well, through there, they have a hefty railway overpass that will need to be replaced, which may be quite difficult/costly to replace.
The issue I have at 208th is less with congestion, and more that it goes from 3 to 2 lanes right around 210th street, whereas the crest of the hill there is at 214th or so. If they had bothered to extend the third lane just 2 or 3 blocks it would have *vastly* improved the safety and overall functionality.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:38 PM

That and it's the left lane that ends. I'm never a fan of left lanes ending. Sure traffic will likely be sparse on most days after 202 St. but Friday afternoon/evening you'll have many families heading out of town taking advantage of that HOV lane.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure