HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 10:33 PM

I agree about Verdae project....It looks fantastic. But Ive seen ICAR many times, (I live in the Greenville metro area) and it just seems like too much sprawl IMO. Dont get me wrong...ICAR is wonderful for the city. Most cities Greenville's size would be jelous of all the new projects and jobs coming, but an office park is an office park and cant in any way help to stop sprawl. And I would consider this area to be in the suburbs. Yes, it may be in city limits but it is still VERY suburban in nature.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 11:12 PM

I know how you feel about sprawl and i'm against it too, but people have got to live and work somewhere and this is the best way of using resources to do that without causing sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
g-man,

Do you have any pics of Greenville's waterfall and pedestrian bridge over the falls.
Do I have any pics?

-Coming tomorrow: More development news, GSP new airline carrier, and pics of West End Field and Main St.

Last edited by g-man435; Aug 24, 2006 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 11:39 PM

I was gonna post this tomorrow, but i'll just post it today. GSP gets new lost-cost airline carrier. More info: http://www.wyff4.com/news/9729299/detail.html

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 12:27 AM

Greenville is awesome! I love medium-size cities and their skylines, and Greenville is among the best in this category.
As an Atlantan, it's a great place to combine with an Asheville trip, IMO. Thanks for the pics and info, G-man. I'm anxious to get to know this town much better!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy
I agree about Verdae project....It looks fantastic. But Ive seen ICAR many times, (I live in the Greenville metro area) and it just seems like too much sprawl IMO. Dont get me wrong...ICAR is wonderful for the city. Most cities Greenville's size would be jelous of all the new projects and jobs coming, but an office park is an office park and cant in any way help to stop sprawl. And I would consider this area to be in the suburbs. Yes, it may be in city limits but it is still VERY suburban in nature.
I agree, and I would have very much desired to see ICAR become integrated within the existing fabric of downtown and have shops, bars, restaurants, residential, etc. mixed in much like USC's research campus in downtown Columbia, but when you consider the fact that the land was basically designated for this purpose, Greenville had to take what it could get. It was basically the same with Millenium Campus as well. Good for economic growth and development, but a large single-use district. Verdae, in my opinion, is Greenville's shining star as far as infill is concerned.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 1:24 AM

I see what you guys mean, but ICAR and Millennium are campuses. People have to work somewhere and this is the best way to develop that without causing it to be sprawl. Also, how can it be sprawl if it is surrounded by areas that are already widely developed. South Financial Headquarters is the same way, even though I wish they would of built a tower downtown instead. Not all of ICAR is office, some of it will have housing along with shops. Here is proof of that: http://www.clemson.edu/autoresearch/...ssumptions.htm and here: http://www.clemson.edu/autoresearch/.../Slide0013.gif Look at Research Triangle Park for example. Every city wants an ICAR or a Research Triangle Park, because they fight sprawl and create jobs. In case you didn't realize this, Verdae is specifically built to house the workers at ICAR, Millennium, and South Financial's campus. Now the Shops at Greenridge and the Point, those are sprawl. I don't even want to get into Woodruff Road.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 6:32 AM

While RTP has certainly created jobs (last time I checked, it employed over 40K people), it has also created MUCH sprawl. Single-use campuses which essentially act as edge cities tend to do that, and since RTP is the world's largest research campus, it has happened at a greater rate in the Triangle. I don't think ICAR will create nearly as much sprawl; it's located too close to downtown.

I think some are calling these campuses sprawl because they are essentially single-use. But if you know some of the history of how these developments came about in Greenville, you'd come to the conclusion that the city and the Upstate as a whole are better off with these developments than without. At least they have relatively close proximity to downtown. The city will grow up around them in time. It could have certainly been worse; these developments could be in Greer, Easley, or Traveler's Rest.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 11:47 AM
Witty comment fail

g-man,

you've got to understand this site. For many on here, if it's not a live/work/play skyscraper within 200 yards of a grocery store and an upscale department store, it's sprawl....

and you haven't even dealt with Chicago103 yet...

Where is all of this development in relation to Furman. I spent my freshman year there, and am mostly familiar with that side of town, which was away from Downtown, and the malls.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 4:34 PM

It doesn't matter whether you guys think ICAR, Millennium Campus, and South Financial are sprawl or not, because their already starting to be built and their going to keep building them whether you like it or not. Also, the jobs and economic impact their going to create far outweigh the sprawl it could have. Next up is Magnolia Park Town Center. This is a development going on the former Greenville Mall site. It will be the second largest shopping center in the upstate. Demolition of the former mall is to become sometime towards the end of this year or early 2007. The whole project is to be finished sometime in early 2008:

Rendering of 10-story residential tower:

Info:
http://www.theshoppingcentergroup.co...s/pf000415.pdf
http://www.theshoppingcentergroup.co...-121-1-415.htm

After that is Mid-Town Center, which is going to be a mixed-use development coming to the downtown area near county square:

Rendering:

Site plan:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 7:20 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Cool aerials g-man.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 10:39 PM

Thanks, man. Next up is McBee Station. This is a 45-acre mixed-use project located downtown and will include a Publix, Staples, condos, apartments, a bank, and more. I don't have any pics or renderings of it, but if you would like to see some, you can go to http://www.pazdan-smith.com and click on portfolio on the left hand side of the page, then click on mixed-use and that's where it will be. Here is an article about the project too: http://greenvilleonline.com/news/bus...5061165910.htm

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 12:50 AM
The Pedestrian

The new storefront where the old Maureen's was on Main Street is looking very nice!

Also, check out the weekend information center in front of City Hall:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:03 AM

Hey Skyliner and welcome to skyscraperpage and thanks for those pics.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:08 AM
Clandestine Troubadour

Wow. I haven't been here in so long... I didn't think anybody from Greenville hung out here.

I must say a lot of my COPYRIGHTED photos keep ending up in places where I don't expect to find them, too. :-P You should check out the Terms of Service at PhotoBucket, in particular Section 2, Article C. In the mean time, I am looking at Section 5, myself.

Last edited by RestedTraveler; Aug 27, 2006 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:17 AM

Please give most of the credit to the photos of Greenville I provided to RestedTraveler of Travelers Rest, SC and an active skyscrapercity, urbanplanet, and now skyscraperpage user.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:23 AM
Clandestine Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man435
Please give most of the credit to the photos of Greenville I provided to RestedTraveler of Travelers Rest, SC and an active skyscrapercity, urbanplanet, and now skyscraperpage user.
Hey - a lot of those were not mine. I see some of Tim's in there, too. As for the timeline, check that join date again, man.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:27 AM
Clandestine Troubadour

You know, from this photo, you can see that the Greenville County Ofices/University Ridge property is an ideal location for multiple towers, parking garages, and continued park-like setting in amongst it all. That's a pretty large and prime location for a huge mixed-use development.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:27 AM

Sorry some of the pics might be a little dark, but please give all credit of these pics to g-man435 of the grand opening of Art Crossing at Riverplace and other parts of Riverplace too:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:30 AM
Clandestine Troubadour

The tripod and an extended-exposure setting are your best friends for nighttime photography.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler
Hey - a lot of those were not mine. I see some of Tim's in there, too. As for the timeline, check that join date again, man.
Who is Tim, what join date are you talking about, and are you hinting at a possible new development at county square, RT? Thanks a lot man.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast