HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looks like those wheels have some flat spots

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 8:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Testing...

Video Link

Pablo Jonesey

Video Link

dutchmazz

Some Coney fun...

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 1:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NyGuy, do you know what the current status is of the 21 proposed residential towers around Coney Island? Based on the rezoning in 2009?

I ask because I was reading the latest YIMBY article on it, and it seemed to raise some negativity that makes me think that the city has given up on it. I'm not a 100% sure when it comes to what exactly is being planned based on the rezoning or it will actually happen.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 12:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
NyGuy, do you know what the current status is of the 21 proposed residential towers around Coney Island? Based on the rezoning in 2009?

I ask because I was reading the latest YIMBY article on it, and it seemed to raise some negativity that makes me think that the city has given up on it.

The city hasn't given up on anything. The redevelopment of Coney Island entails a lot more than just building some outdoor amusements. There is a lot of work to be done, and none of the housing can or will be built before the city makes the necessary infrastructure improvements to support it.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...sfp=3160509449

Andrew J. Hawkins
May 21, 2014

Quote:
During the forum, Ms. Glen also said the city would commit $350 million in its five-year capital plan for infrastructure improvements in Hunter's Point South in Long Island City, Stapleton in Staten Island, and Coney Island—three neighborhoods she said have "amazing housing potential."

Coney Island didn't fall overnight, and it's unreasonable and unrealistic to think it will be rebuilt overnight. The rebuilding is underway, and things are moving in the right direction after decades of decline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 12:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 11:36 PM
New Yorker for life

More testing...

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

...with passengers.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 9:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Nice piece and view from the Thunderbolt in the NY Times...

http://nyti.ms/1pRDrtF

New York Today: Test Drive on a Roller Coaster

By ANDY NEWMAN
June 13, 2014

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 12:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Couldn't get photos over the weekend because I was sick, but Luna Park always has photos...

https://www.facebook.com/LunaParkNYC/photos_stream

Former Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz poses on the coaster with Valerio Ferrari from Luna Park. Valerio's ridden the coaster multiple times but wasn't able to get Marty to take a ride.

Engineers from Antonio Zamperla Spa traveled all the way from Italy to help us on the roller coaster. They took a break from their maintenance tests for a quick photo op.

The Coney Island Greeters (from the Alliance for Coney Island) pose with Senator Chuck Schumer. Mr. Schumer was riding his bike down the boardwalk, enjoying the beautiful weather.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 1:13 PM
New Yorker for life

This summer cold kept me from attending the Mermaid Parade over the weekend, so no photos from me.

Meanwhile, Mayor de Blasio became the first mayor to participate in the event...

nycmayorsoffice

BrianEden

StevenC_in_NYC

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:06 AM

Rode the Thunderbolt yesterday.....

http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Roa...44740.jpg.html

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post

http://s740.photobucket.com/user/Roa...44740.jpg.html

Great! I'm so glad you had a great time. Enjoy the day. Why I haven't get on the roller coaster for a long time. Boy, I miss the old days.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 10:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

That's the spirit...

I'm still not getting on it though.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 2:05 PM
New Yorker for life

School's out, and summer has begun....sometimes a vacation is just a subway ride away...future generations make new memories at the new Coney Island.

JULY 1, 2014

Stood and watched the action at the Thunderbolt. They must be pleased with the success, there was a steady stream of cars going around the loop.
What I'm impressed with the most though is how little real estate was used for the creation. There is more room in the lot next door than was used in
the first phase of Luna Park's opening. Reportedly they are thinking of building some water themed amusements. I would prefer something indoors,
like the Steeplechase Park that stood in the area, indoor amusements to be open rain or shine.

www.nytimes.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1090351

http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/201...metery-part-2/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 1:41 AM

An indoor water park would be excellent. It did compete well with The Great Wolf Lodge in Pennsylvania, and Tropical Islands Resort in Germany...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 7:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
An indoor water park would be excellent. It did compete well with The Great Wolf Lodge in Pennsylvania, and Tropical Islands Resort in Germany...
An indoor water park would be nice, though I don't know how appealing it would be during the winter months. I'm thinking of something that could reasonably attract enough of a crowd to remain open beyond the traditional Coney Island season. One of the city's goals of the redevelopment is to turn the area into a 365-day a year amusement & entertainment zone, though not on this particular lot.

There is much potential here. The stadium would have been a good site for a waterpark as well. It continues to draw crowds for the games, but other than that, the site is inactive.

gardenspics

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 3, 2014 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 9:48 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1957329

Whack-A-Mole smashes its way to become Coney Island’s top attraction
EXCLUSIVE: The whopping 676,832 people who took swings at the mechanic pop-up mammals in 2014 far outpaced the number of visitors at any other ride or game at the famed People’s Playground, park officials said.

BY REUVEN BLAU
September 29, 2014

Quote:
The Whack-A-Mole took a mallet to Coney Island’s other popular attractions this summer.

The whopping 676,832 people who took swings at the mechanic pop-up mammals in 2014 far outpaced the number of visitors who rode the new Thunderbolt roller coaster or any other ride at the famed People’s Playground, park officials said.

When heavy-handed visitors weren’t busy smashing moles on the head, they were making a splash at Wild River and Water Mania, statistics show.

The water rides were the second most popular spot at the park, attracting a combined 499,625 people over the summer, park officials said.

The sleek new Thunderbolt roller-coaster was a distant third with 185,802 riders. The Cyclone attendance was not immediately available.

All told, 4.8 million thrill-seekers from around the globe attended Luna Park last year — up 30% from 2013, park officials said.

“This past season we had a great increase in park attendance and are proud that Luna Park has become an annual must-visit destination for visitors around the world,” said Valerio Ferrari, president of Central Amusement International, which operates Luna Park.

The Thunderbolt roller coaster, with its terrifying 90-degree drop from 115 feet, came in third. Roughly 186,000 riders took the plunge

All told, 4.8 million thrill-seekers from around the globe attended Luna Park

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 7:04 AM

Do they have any new roller coaster? How about super tall high roller coaster?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:53 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

17-acre Coney Island site is on the block

Quote:
The property on the back side of the island was once home to a heating-gas plant. The plot comes with the right to develop nearly 1.5 million square feet of building space.

National Grid is looking to long-term lease a nearly 17-acre parcel of land in Coney Island that was once home to one of the utility's predecessors, the Brooklyn Borough Gas Works facility.

The parcel, which is being marketed by a team from Massey Knakal Realty Services, is one of the largest undeveloped pieces of land in the city, and comes with the right to build nearly 1.5 million square feet of space—more than the entire square footage of the Chrysler Building, for example. The property is bounded to the north by the Shore Parkway and to the south by Coney Island Creek, and is zoned for manufacturing, though it could accommodate a variety of commercial or retail uses.

"There are some nuances to the transaction, but based upon its location and the density over there, I think this screams large-scale retail," said Stephen Palmese, partner at Massey Knakal.

[...]
==============================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...s-on-the-block

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 3:25 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/articles/metro...alk-1416605667

Metro Money: Coney Island, Beyond the Boardwalk
The Beachfront Is Enjoying a Renaissance. But What About the Surrounding Neighborhood?

By ANNE KADET
Nov. 21, 2014

Quote:
Jim and Angie Haprian of Akron, Ohio, aren’t your typical tourists. After a stroll along the Coney Island boardwalk earlier this month, the couple decided to venture into the peninsula’s interior—a section seldom seen by outsiders.

“We’re guessing it will be a little funky, but that doesn’t bother us,” said Mr. Haprian.

A few days later, I called Mr. Haprian to hear his impressions. He didn’t sound impressed.

“There’s nothing to do,” he said. “It’s just a bunch of auto-repair shops and the biggest liquor store I’ve ever seen in my life.”

There were no galleries or museums, he said. Even the Starbucks was just a drive-through, with no seating. “We didn’t hang out too long,” he said.

No one denies that Coney Island’s famous beachfront is enjoying a renaissance. The amusement zone just recorded its best season in recent memory: 1.5 million visitors. Summer turnstile count at the area’s two train stations, meanwhile, topped 3.2 million—a 68% jump from a decade ago.

So far, so good. The question now is whether the boardwalk boom will lift the surrounding neighborhood, with its roughly 50,000 residents.

This is not a sure thing. Just look at Atlantic City.

.....Business owners I met with seem, on the whole, to be pleased with the area’s progress. Peter Agrapides, owner of Williams Candy, said he’s seeing more tourists, even in November. “They always ask me how come the rides are closed,” he said. “They’re crazy.”

At Gargiulo’s, a fancy Italian restaurant that is legendary for being legendary—not to mention for the baked clams— Nino Russo, who runs the place with his brothers, said he’s seeing guests from France, England and Holland.

The 70% drop in crime over the past two decades hasn’t hurt. Mr. Russo said that one reason Gargiulo’s survived the neighborhood’s dark years was the fact that it offered valet parking.

“People were afraid to come to Coney Island,” he said. “That’s not the case any more.”

.....Urban renewal over the past five decades brought a heavy concentration of low-income housing, said Mr. Bliss. And until recently, zoning laws curtailed retail businesses, hotels and sit-down restaurants.

“The city has a responsibility to address some of the missteps of a generation ago,” said Mr. Bliss.

With the boardwalk area revived, the city has turned its focus inland—starting with basics, he said.

Parts of the peninsula still lack proper storm sewers, for instance. A $320 million upgrade will accommodate new residential and retail development.

That’s good news for the folks strolling Mermaid Avenue, the neighborhood’s inland retail strip.

After superstorm Sandy, many store owners shuttered their shops and never returned. Perhaps a third of the area’s storefronts are vacant, often with hand-lettered “For Rent” signs in the window.

“There’s no place to buy clothes,” said Veronica Paul, herding her four kids around the crowded local library.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development