HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:09 PM

Update for 2 Queen West from Urban Toronto

Because this is a mostly office/commercial neighbourhood, few residents turned out to the development meeting and none of them had any issues with the development. The local councillor expressed some concern about the already-crowded sidewalks and the degree to which the proposal exceeds current zoning limits. Hopefully Cadillac Fairview will offset these concerns with some nice monetary contributions to the neighbourhood. There were no shadowing issues with respect to Nathan Phillips Square and the nearby Massey Tower was already approved at 208 metres (though that was partially due to the contribution of land to Massey Hall). The existing heritage building has undergone some renovations that has left much of it in rough shape and hidden under what looks like aluminum siding. All that will come off and the facade will be restored, though the building itself will be gutted. The first two floors will be retail, and above that will be amenity space. This will be a rental building, not a condo, so as soon as approvals come, we could see equipment on site.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 10:06 PM
testify

drool-worthy... wow, wish we had stuff like that going up here in sf. zero parking, rental, heritage restoration, seamless integration into the urban tapestry, high density residential, fantastic design. damn.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 10:37 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Please have this get built.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 3:37 PM
Urban Dreamer

Mirvish+Gehry

Hey everyone! Brand new to this thread. I've lived on and off in Toronto since 2010, studied some architecture at Ryerson and have absolutley fallen in love with this city. I've been totally captivated by the Mirvish+Gehry project and have been following it quite closely. I just wanted to share an email I sent Jennifer Keesmaat regarding her position on the project. Would love some feedback.

Hello Jennifer,

I just read an article in the Toronto star regarding your opinion on the Gehry/Mirvish project. I just wanted to say that I couldn't disagree with you more on the entire scenario. Having studied architecture and urban planning I find it so greatly disappointing that yet again you would allow Toronto to disband a project of such magnitude. I believe to not allow this to happen you are being short sited and applying your personal criticisms to the project.

Toronto is not a heritage city, that dream was lost many decades ago when it was a free for all to knock down any building you wanted. We need to look at ways to make our city great that works for us today and not be hung up on the past. We have one, count it one global wonder, the CN tower. Yest the ROM, Casa Loma and other projects are unique but people do not look at that and instantly say Toronto! Beyond that we are are just a boring forest of glass. This project would reshape our city on a civic, national and international scale.

The challenge of the increased density should be welcomed. I know you are an advocate of the public realm and I support that 100%. What better way to get cars off the road and increase transit by making driving sheer hell? Really in today's world it doesn't matter how cheap and efficient the transit is, unless driving is so painful no one will use the transit. The increased ridership would increase profit allowing for better maintenance, renovations and expansions. To top it off there are only a few architects in history that have the legacy and continued prominence that Gehry will have. To say no to his most impressive work is like telling Picasso no to an art installation.

Make Toronto something, show the world we are not afraid of bold design and urban planning. The opportunities from this project in terms of the pedestrian realm, transit and densification are astronomical. Rather than the criticism why not help make Toronto great?

And that's it!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:51 PM

It's a good heartfelt argument for the density but ultimately this project isn't going ahead because the developers have no experience or capital.

Much larger problems than a pesky counselor or two.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It's a good heartfelt argument for the density but ultimately this project isn't going ahead because the developers have no experience or capital.

Much larger problems than a pesky counselor or two.
Yeah, but that's not hard to overcome. I could see Mirvish partnering with a experienced, local developer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 11:08 PM

or financing a large portion through the sale of Honest Eds.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Yeah, but that's not hard to overcome. I could see Mirvish partnering with a experienced, local developer.
I could see mervish partnering with a local developer, only problem is i don't see a local developer partnering with Mervish.

This proposal had a very very slim chance of happening from the get go, and it hasn't really been met with success on every front. I give this one about a 5% chance of happening in its current form and a 50% chance of happening in a vastly revised (smaller/cheaper) form.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 9:51 PM

New renderings released for The Icon. Full article is on Urban Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 1:05 AM

It's a nice height, but the Icon seems to be getting blander with each rendering.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 2:04 PM

Detailed animation showing the construction of Massey Tower. Looks like it should be ready to go soon.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 4:34 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
It's a nice height, but the Icon seems to be getting blander with each rendering.
But it won't fit in with the rest of the city if we don't make it blander. Besides, it's difficult to get past the approval stage if you propose something with architectural interest. The road to approval is far easier if you strip a building down as close to a featureless box as possible.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 4:51 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Bland featureless filler makes the landmarks look that much better.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 5:29 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

There should be a smiley that stands for "dripping with sarcasm".

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 6:10 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
There should be a smiley that stands for "dripping with sarcasm".
"" works farely well. (Although gets the dripping bit for you. )

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 12:55 AM

New rendering released for 1 Yorkville:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/10/...ering-released

It kind of reminds me of Gehry's 8 Spruce in lower Manhattan. More at Urban Toronto: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/10/...ering-released

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 2:38 AM

I had a similar thought too. I really like this one. I hope it gets built looking very much like the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 4:16 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:43 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 7:51 AM

Some of you saw this video three months ago, but shortly after being posted here it was set to private. Now it's up again:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto