HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Winnipeg to Edmonton is $99 and Toronto is $212 (both round trip) on Westjet. Air Canada hasn't bothered to match New Leaf.
What do you use for finding fares? Every time you mention a sale fare, it's lower than what I see on Google Flights.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 7:50 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What do you use for finding fares? Every time you mention a sale fare, it's lower than what I see on Google Flights.

That was also from Google flights - when I looked Yesterday Edmonton was $99 from next Wednesday on select days (that was actually one way, return was 218 - my bad) and Toronto was $212 closer to the end of the month.

Paris for the next 6 months was as low as $740, but that's gone now.

Westjet is charging $200 less than Air Canada to London, but that involves a 17 hour stop in Toronto. A reasonable flight is about $100 less.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
NewLeaf announced service to Calgary today and starting moving away from their YWG hub plans at the same time.
If that is the case, shame on Newleaf for abandonning Winnipeg as their focus hub strategy, and I hope they fail miserably. The last thing we need is another Calgary-centric airline, forcing me to fly through that bloody city.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 9:54 PM

^^ The NewLeaf plans seem to be shifting from the Winnipeg focus hub to a Hamilton focus hub.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:49 PM
Heart of the Continent

They still have 4 destinations and 2 seasonal destinations from Winnipeg - pretty good considering their network.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:00 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
To add to what I said earlier - the $212 fares are gone for Toronto. There is currently 1 day pair with $250 return in December.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport Flies High with Record September

Some pretty spectacular numbers for September out of JAR. Our airport clearly has the capability of sustaining international flights, excluding American destinations.

Let's hope this trend keeps up and we see more non-stop international destinations come our way

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport Flies High with Record September

October 21, 2016
September 2016 was a record month at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport, as passenger volume increased 15.5% compared to September 2015. This represents the second largest year-over-year increase and the highest in more than a decade.

“We are delighted that the market has responded so well by absorbing increased available seats to all destinations,” said Pascal Bélanger, Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer of Winnipeg Airports Authority. “We will continue to work diligently in positioning our community’s needs with our travel partners to add required capacity.”

Visitors and travellers through the Winnipeg Richardson International Airport took advantage of new pricing and routes to push the increased volumes through our facilities. Routes such as London-Gatwick, Toronto and Las Vegas were a boon for business travellers, family groups and those exploring our captivating country.

With 60 direct destinations for this year and more to come, our community airport is on a journey to new heights.

Source: http://www.waa.ca/media/news/article...cord-september

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:06 AM
Heart of the Continent

I wonder when they'll release the stats for the quarter?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:17 AM

I heard the liquor mart at the Winnipeg airport is closing at the end of the month.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
I heard the liquor mart at the Winnipeg airport is closing at the end of the month.
From Reddit
'The lease was up and WAA and the LC couldn't agree on a renewal'

https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/co..._close_oct_31/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
From Reddit
'The lease was up and WAA and the LC couldn't agree on a renewal'

https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/co..._close_oct_31/
It's hard to compete with duty-free.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:28 AM

^ Kind of struck me as an odd location for a LC. Virtually no outbound passengers are realistically buying anything (they'd buy duty free or just wait until they got to their destination), and inbound passengers mostly just want to get home/to the hotel. I'm not sure who was actually shopping there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Kind of struck me as an odd location for a LC. Virtually no outbound passengers are realistically buying anything (they'd buy duty free or just wait until they got to their destination), and inbound passengers mostly just want to get home/to the hotel. I'm not sure who was actually shopping there.
Never, ever saw anyone ever shopping in that LC, of course profibility of a location didn't make a difference to the NDP regime.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Really don't know of any other airports with liquor shops in them other than duty free.

More importantly, I find it odd how people are focusing on the presence of a liquor shop in the airport as opposed to the over 15% increase in passenger service at our airport since last September

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:55 PM

definitely was a huge liquor store in the Amsterdam airport last time I was there but that's a different story...

either way, great to hear about our nice little airport doing so well. last time I flew in two weeks ago from vancity, coming down the stairs to the baggage carousels, a lady behind me was saying how she hadn't been here in forever and was completely in awe by our new airport to the person she was traveling with. it really does have a good first impact on lot of people.. definitely harkening back to the philosophy of days of grand train stations!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Never, ever saw anyone ever shopping in that LC, of course profibility of a location didn't make a difference to the NDP regime.
I did my part to mitigate the losses... I passed through today and picked up a bottle of gin and three bottles of wine. The shelves are slowly starting to go empty.

First and last time I bought something there... I forgot how small it was, just about the size of a couple aisles at a regular LC but all the bases are covered. In the end, the location just didn't make much sense. I doubt it was much of a loss for MLLC since there simply wasn't much floor space involved.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:29 PM

Figured some here may be interested -- YWG is holding a travel fair on Saturday 10-1. It is mostly geared towards getting people to book winter travel but they are running behind the scenes tours every 30 minutes including areas you normally don't get to see even as a passenger. They are also offering free on site parking during the event.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Really don't know of any other airports with liquor shops in them other than duty free.
YVR has a very handy liquor store (private) on the lower level heading out toward the parking garage. Stopped in a few times.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:40 PM

LAS has a liquor store too. It doesn't seem overall uncommon but is heavily targeted towards domestic travellers who are visiting the city. That group would need to stop at duty free in the arrival airport to have another option and do they even allow those kind of purchases? Basically, you need traffic through the airport that wants a bottle of alcohol but is not going to just hit up the place nearest their home.

YWG seems to be heavily traffic that is from the local market which would limit the audience of the LC in Arrivals area.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 8:18 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
YYC has a couple of liquor stores in the terminal too (besides the duty free). One on the domestic departures level and one on arrivals.

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan