HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:29 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

We’ve Submitted!
Sep 23 2014

Public input received through Canada Lands Company’s consultation process, combined with the analysis of the technical agencies, has guided the project team in the preparation of a draft Community Design Plan (CDP) and associated draft preferred plan.

Based upon preliminary comments on a previous draft CDP and new information from the City of Ottawa, a revised draft CDP and all of the necessary supporting draft technical studies will soon be provided to the City. Once the City determines that all of the documents are suitable for review, the City’s Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will review the entire draft package. When the TAC has completed its review, the CDP will go on technical circulation to outside agencies. At that time, the CDP and supporting documents will be available on-line for the public to view and comment on.

A public meeting of the Planning Committee of the City will be advertised and those interested in making oral or written submissions will be provided the opportunity to do so. The Committee meeting is anticipated in early 2015.

Canada Lands Company expects to receive City zoning and conditional draft subdivision approvals at that time, and will subsequently start the installation of infrastructure and services later in 2015. We anticipate that first sales to builders will take place in 2016. Serviced blocks of land will be sold to builders, who will in turn sell individual homes/units to homebuyers. Canada Lands Company anticipates the first residents will move into this community in 2017.

A complete draft of the CDP will become available following the City of Ottawa’s technical review. For now, a few key plans from the draft CDP are available in the Resource Library found on the project website at www.clcrockcliffe.ca.

We also encourage you to stay informed by visiting our website regularly and by liking us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/CLCRockcliffe."

http://www.clcrockcliffe.ca/en/news/...99ve-submitted

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 7:16 PM

Does anyone know why the CDP that was submitted by CLC to the City has not been posted?

I would guess that the city is expressing concerns about transportation -- an issue that has been repeatedly highlighted during consultations.

Also, I wonder if the city is questioning the two groups of tall mixed-use/office towers (at hemlock and aviation, and at Montreal and Burma). With 10,000 new residents plus major office complexes at both ends, one wonders how the transportation will work with only three exit routes -- two of them leading to Montreal Road and one leading to Hemlock, which will forever be a two lane road (because Beechwood is already congested).

Can anyone fill us in on developments?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1 View Post
Does anyone know why the CDP that was submitted by CLC to the City has not been posted?

I would guess that the city is expressing concerns about transportation -- an issue that has been repeatedly highlighted during consultations.

Also, I wonder if the city is questioning the two groups of tall mixed-use/office towers (at hemlock and aviation, and at Montreal and Burma). With 10,000 new residents plus major office complexes at both ends, one wonders how the transportation will work with only three exit routes -- two of them leading to Montreal Road and one leading to Hemlock, which will forever be a two lane road (because Beechwood is already congested).

Can anyone fill us in on developments?
Something I've been wondering about since the get-go. Nobody seems willing to acknowledge that Hemlock will need to be expanded to four lanes to handle the increase in traffic that this project will inevitably generate. I don't oppose the project, but the transportation issue needs a fuller airing.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 7:55 PM

If you travel Hemlock, you will realize that it rolls fine with two lanes -- the congestion for westbound traffic only starts when you hit beechwood whic is four lanes already. The congestion is the result of the intersections and traffic lights on Beechwood not the lane capacity on Hemlock. Widening hemlock to four lanes would do nothing to speed up the transit time between Vanier and St Laurent, because the delay is dominated by congestion on the Beechwood segment.

Note also, that the city is considering reducing St Laurent north of Montreal Road to two lanes from four. In practice, I don't think this will affect speed because the delays on this segment are dominated by the intersections (Montreal and St Laurent for southbound traffic and Hemlock and St Laurent for northbound traffic). If the city goes ahead wiht the plan to reduce lanes on St Laurent (a plan that I support), I don't see them doing just the opposite on Hemlock.

I don't think there will be much support for widening Hemlock (although there could be support for running an LRT along it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Something I've been wondering about since the get-go. Nobody seems willing to acknowledge that Hemlock will need to be expanded to four lanes to handle the increase in traffic that this project will inevitably generate. I don't oppose the project, but the transportation issue needs a fuller airing.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
If you travel Hemlock, you will realize that it rolls fine with two lanes -- the congestion for westbound traffic only starts when you hit beechwood whic is four lanes already. The congestion is the result of the intersections and traffic lights on Beechwood not the lane capacity on Hemlock. Widening hemlock to four lanes would do nothing to speed up the transit time between Vanier and St Laurent, because the delay is dominated by congestion on the Beechwood segment.

Note also, that the city is considering reducing St Laurent north of Montreal Road to two lanes from four. In practice, I don't think this will affect speed because the delays on this segment are dominated by the intersections (Montreal and St Laurent for southbound traffic and Hemlock and St Laurent for northbound traffic). If the city goes ahead wiht the plan to reduce lanes on St Laurent (a plan that I support), I don't see them doing just the opposite on Hemlock.

I don't think there will be much support for widening Hemlock (although there could be support for running an LRT along it).
I don't think there'd be any support for widening Hemlock, and I'm not sure a tramway would fly with Manor Park. The point is that Hemlock/Beechwood will not be able to cope with the increased traffic toward/from the downtown and yet there doesn't seem to be much alternative for a development on this scale, given the limits on Montreal Rd. How are these 10,000 people supposed to get about?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:37 PM

I am certainly in agreement with you on the fundamental problem for which I don't see any solution apart from a costly Montreal Road LRT with a loop into CFB.

While an LRT from CFB Rockcliffe down to Blair or St Laurent might help (see Counsellor-elect Nussbaum's proposal on the former) it is unrealistic that people would use such a roundabout loop to get from CFB Rockcliffe to offices downtown.

I don't know if Manor Park residents would whole-heartedly reject a LRT along Hemlock. They may see a risk of noise and vibration (but are diesel buses worse) or a risk of bringing riff-raff to their community (but Manor Park is already a mixed income community with a gradient of wealth that runs fromt the North-West corner (at Birch and Sandridge) to the southeast corner at Hemlock and Str Laurent). The biggest problem for the LRT along Hemlock in my mind is not the Hemlock segment, but the Beechwood/St. Patrick/King Edward/Dalhousie/Rideau segment.

Quote:
I don't think there'd be any support for widening Hemlock, and I'm not sure a tramway would fly with Manor Park. The point is that Hemlock/Beechwood will not be able to cope with the increased traffic toward/from the downtown and yet there doesn't seem to be much alternative for a development on this scale, given the limits on Montreal Rd. How are these 10,000 people supposed to get about?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:34 AM

Quote:
And we should care what Manorparkians think because... ?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 12:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Housing project for homeless veterans looking for funding

By Doug Hempstead, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 04:06 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 06, 2014 10:47 PM EST

Nearly a quarter of Ottawa's homeless can be called military veterans.

It's something the man who once led Canada's troops in Afghanistan suggests is an embarrassment -- long overdue for attention.

Retired Lt-Gen Andrew Leslie said the federal government needs to step up and come through with major funding for homeless and vulnerable veterans -- something which could be done by getting involved in a new housing project in the city, announced Thursday.

"It is our solemn obligation, our sacred duty," he said to the group of several dozen people who gathered for the announcement at the Eastview branch of the Royal Canadian Legion in Vanier.

Leslie said he expects the numbers of homeless veterans, particularly from Afghanistan, to only escalate in the coming years.

"One is too many. We are doing wrong as a society. This is a national responsibility. We owe them so much," he said, adding he hopes they get "the federal government's just rewards."

The good news is, a 16+ unit facility specifically for homeless or vulnerable veterans is likely to be built on federally-owned land at the former Rockcliffe air base within two years.

It will be called Veterans House and will be created following a supportive "housing first" model which seeks to help the veterans deal with health, mental health and addiction issues.

On any given night in Ottawa there are between 35 and 55 homeless veterans living on the streets. The organization Soldiers Helping Soldiers has identified 140 homeless veterans living rough in the past year.

"It will be specially designed" said Suzanne Le, the executive director of the Multifaith Housing Initiative. "We're talking about a very complex need that is a little set apart from the regular homeless population."

Le said homeless individuals who are veterans have a different culture then homeless civilians.

"We need to take a very different route," she said.

The facility could be bigger than 16 units, but its size depends on how much funds can be raised. The units are designed to be permanent residences.

It's not just for Afghanistan veterans.

"We have veterans going back to the Second World War, to the 1950s, all the way up to Afghanistan," said RCAF Capt Vicki Ryan who works with Soldiers Helping Soldiers. "So it could be anyone who requires the assistance. While we have identified 140 homeless veterans in Ottawa, we know it could be many more than that."

Twitter: @DougHempstead

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/11/06/...ng-for-funding

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 3:13 PM

Very poor attitude Uhuniau. Everyone gets a say. In the case of traffic on Hemlock and Montreal Road, the issue goes beyond Manor Park to all of the commuters who use these routes, and because traffic has non-local effects, I would say it affects the broader east side of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
My comment wasn't meant to imply that one should, only how I assumed they would view matters.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Very poor attitude Uhuniau. Everyone gets a say.
In Ottawa, that seems to be "everyone gets to speak against stuff that their neighbours want, but that they don't like for really stupid, parochial reasons".

Quote:
In the case of traffic on Hemlock and Montreal Road, the issue goes beyond Manor Park to all of the commuters who use these routes, and because traffic has non-local effects, I would say it affects the broader east side of the city.
If "traffic" (i.e., other people driving) is the problem, then some real transit on the east side is part of the solution.

But the eastern close-in urban communities will not see mass transit this century, or, very likely, next one, either.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:07 PM

That is the point. The eastern close-in urban communities do need mass transit. They are getting short-changed. The whole area between the Queensway and the Ottawa River on the East side (stretching from Vanier Parkway to the Montreal/174 interchange) needs better connectivity.

The point that was being made is that you are adding a community of 15,000 people plus two high rise office districts and are doing nothing about transit in that area.

I note that considerable amounts of money are being spent to tunnel segments of the Phase 2 LRT under and around Richmond Road (near the Mayor's house). But the East end doesn't seem to be getting its fair share. The LRT in the East end skirts around most of the Eastern density rather than passing through it.

Quote:
In Ottawa, that seems to be "everyone gets to speak against stuff that their neighbours want, but that they don't like for really stupid, parochial reasons".

If "traffic" (i.e., other people driving) is the problem, then some real transit on the east side is part of the solution.

But the eastern close-in urban communities will not see mass transit this century, or, very likely, next one, either.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 6:10 PM

Quote:
I note that considerable amounts of money are being spent to tunnel segments of the Phase 2 LRT under and around Richmond Road (near the Mayor's house). But the East end doesn't seem to be getting its fair share. The LRT in the East end skirts around most of the Eastern density rather than passing through it.
Just like Bus Crappid Transit did, too, by design (cheaper)... and then the BCT fans express surprise that BCT kinda sucked at attracting transit-oriented development.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 11:59 AM
National Capital Region

Secondary plan docs up, although its timing out for me right now
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0JWC2S

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:24 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

335 St. Laurent Boulevard [CFB Rockcliffe Redevelopment] | Multiple buildings of varying heights | Proposed

The City of Ottawa has received a Zoning Amendment application and Application for Plan of Subdivision to permit the development of a subdivision zoned as residential, mixed-use, and parkland (with associated subzones), which will include approximately 6,000 proposed residential units in varying housing types.

Canada Lands Company proposes to develop a contemporary, compact, mixed use community for approximately 10,000 residents at the former Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Rockcliffe. The community will be walkable, cycling-supportive, transit oriented and built at a human scale. These principles will be realized through improved connectivity to the surrounding neighbourhoods and by providing access to open space for everyone. The site will connect the history of the Algonquin people and it will celebrate its military heritage. Redevelopment of the former CFB Rockcliffe will demonstrate urban design excellence, innovation in sustainability, cultural/social dynamism and a high quality of life. It will be forward looking in its development approach by integrating the site’s natural ecological functions into the design of the community.

Development applications:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0MBH3P
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0MAHGQ

Siteplan:

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:28 AM

I wonder - is it better to just sit on the land until a Montreal Road-Rideau Street LRT corridor is planned, and make this land an integral part of such?

That said, Route 7 would be ideal to extend into the lands and terminate at a bus terminal there. Route 114 could then be extended along St. Laurent Boulevard to Manor Park, and Route 129 could be extended northward as well into the lands. In that plan:

Route 7: Most trips turn left onto Hemlock (instead of continue onto St. Laurent) and remain on Hemlock to the collector road between 41 and 48. It would then run along the northern collector and loop back onto Codd's to Hemlock to return downtown. A few trips (mostly on weekends) depart onto the Aviation Parkway to the Aviation Museum, replacing Route 129 - ideal for tourists to have a direct-to-downtown route to the Aviation Museum.

Route 7X Brittany: Renumber as Route 15 and operate along Montreal Road for a faster trip downtown.

Route 114: With no Transitway, it cannot continue to Hurdman after the Confederation Line opens. Instead, it continues along St. Laurent to Sandridge and Birch, looping back onto Beechwood and St. Laurent. It creates a corridor route along St. Laurent from end to end. Frequency would be the same as the 7 is now.

Route 129: Instead of looping around at Carson Grove, continue along Bathgate into the east end of the lands, looping around the same way as the 7 above. It gives a connection to the Confederation Line from the Rockcliffe area.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 3:21 PM

I don't mind this siteplan but it still seems to me like low-rise detached or semi-detached homes are a bit short sighted for any development inside the greenbelt.

Given how fast the city is growing in terms of sprawl outside the greenbelt, I think the city should start getting serious about making the most of intensification inside the greenbelt and big parcels of land are the single best tool to help accomplish this... if we make the most of them.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 3:28 PM

It's an interesting layout. That southern section (south of the southernmost east-west through road), is basically a suburban subdivision, what with low rise residential non-mixed use and non-grid streets.

The northern part though seems functionally urban. The part north of that southernmost east-west street and east of Codd's Road is pretty interesting... with low to mid rise mixed use and a grid layout it's basically replicating a traditional neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I wonder - is it better to just sit on the land until a Montreal Road-Rideau Street LRT corridor is planned, and make this land an integral part of such?

That said, Route 7 would be ideal to extend into the lands and terminate at a bus terminal there. Route 114 could then be extended along St. Laurent Boulevard to Manor Park, and Route 129 could be extended northward as well into the lands. In that plan:

Route 7: Most trips turn left onto Hemlock (instead of continue onto St. Laurent) and remain on Hemlock to the collector road between 41 and 48. It would then run along the northern collector and loop back onto Codd's to Hemlock to return downtown. A few trips (mostly on weekends) depart onto the Aviation Parkway to the Aviation Museum, replacing Route 129 - ideal for tourists to have a direct-to-downtown route to the Aviation Museum.

Route 7X Brittany: Renumber as Route 15 and operate along Montreal Road for a faster trip downtown.

Route 114: With no Transitway, it cannot continue to Hurdman after the Confederation Line opens. Instead, it continues along St. Laurent to Sandridge and Birch, looping back onto Beechwood and St. Laurent. It creates a corridor route along St. Laurent from end to end. Frequency would be the same as the 7 is now.

Route 129: Instead of looping around at Carson Grove, continue along Bathgate into the east end of the lands, looping around the same way as the 7 above. It gives a connection to the Confederation Line from the Rockcliffe area.
That dead end on Route 7 I don't like much.. I'd rather extend it to Blair along the fastest route possible from the east end of the community.

Using all the new transit levy money harnested from this community, I'd boost the 7 to very high frequencies (5-10 minutes in all time periods including evening & Sunday), which would provide a fast efficient connection to both downtown and Blair from this area (the 7 is a surprisingly quick route due to its straightness--Rideau to New Edinburgh is often less than a 10 minute trip off-peak).

Another thing that would be great is a limited stop express bus along the Hemlock-Beechwood corridor.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
335 St. Laurent Boulevard [CFB Rockcliffe Redevelopment] | Multiple buildings of varying heights | Proposed

The City of Ottawa has received a Zoning Amendment application and Application for Plan of Subdivision to permit the development of a subdivision zoned as residential, mixed-use, and parkland (with associated subzones), which will include approximately 6,000 proposed residential units in varying housing types.

Canada Lands Company proposes to develop a contemporary, compact, mixed use community for approximately 10,000 residents at the former Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Rockcliffe. The community will be walkable, cycling-supportive, transit oriented and built at a human scale. These principles will be realized through improved connectivity to the surrounding neighbourhoods and by providing access to open space for everyone. The site will connect the history of the Algonquin people and it will celebrate its military heritage. Redevelopment of the former CFB Rockcliffe will demonstrate urban design excellence, innovation in sustainability, cultural/social dynamism and a high quality of life. It will be forward looking in its development approach by integrating the site’s natural ecological functions into the design of the community.
First off, only 6000 units? How dissappointing. These lands could have held many more residences than this, it is quite dissappointing. And an estimated 10000 residents on such a large piece of land, arguably there should have been much more density to get more residents especially given the proximity to downtown. When this plan was initially revealed I was really dissappointed, and I still am.

And yet another place that will memorialize the Algonquin? Why is it that the three major developments in Ottawa all have to pander to them? This was a former military base, that should be what this development is memorializing. I would argue that only Zibi should memorialize them, while LeBreton memorializes the working class and logging industry.

There should be no development here until we can make major transit routes of either BRT or LRT to move people. And this should be developed as a high density area that includes affordable houses, rentals, condos and townhomes. Double the number of residents could easily be accomodated here; and the developers should try to increase that even.

Overall, poor show CLC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa