HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 8:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Yeah, Crescent Club, Preserve, Meridian, Marquis, etc. all share that same basic design minus the offsite parking and retail. Actually, Saulet does have limited retail options with room for more now that I think about it.
Yeah the saulet was definitely a relic from another era.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:06 AM
TL;DR

Yeah, I meant first new res. building in the CBD but I forgot about 930 Poydras. Still, it seems like Domain took years to get off the ground at South Market so I don't blame them for choosing a proven, low-cost design for Paramount. It's still fairly attractive from the street even if the site plan reminds you of Houston. Functionally it is a true urban courtyard building with mixed-use. You can find similar buildings in Paris or Barcelona (just not this bland!)

I don't mind the Saulet, there is a place in the city for this kind of development. You can't build high-quality traditional design and sell/rent it to the middle class... it's just too expensive. You can certainly do some killer modern architecture on a budget though.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:24 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, I meant first new res. building in the CBD but I forgot about 930 Poydras. Still, it seems like Domain took years to get off the ground at South Market so I don't blame them for choosing a proven, low-cost design for Paramount. It's still fairly attractive from the street even if the site plan reminds you of Houston. Functionally it is a true urban courtyard building with mixed-use. You can find similar buildings in Paris or Barcelona (just not this bland!)

I don't mind the Saulet, there is a place in the city for this kind of development. You can't build high-quality traditional design and sell/rent it to the middle class... it's just too expensive. You can certainly do some killer modern architecture on a budget though.
Al great points... there has to be a mix for different incomes.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
al great points... There has to be a mix for different incomes.
+1

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 8:24 PM
-

trade normalization with Cuba should mean quite a few jobs in the NOLA region.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 11:07 PM

Another video game developer has chosen New Orleans for a design studio. 80 new high paying jobs at Place St. Charles.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...developer.html

I also agree about the potential for new jobs with Cuba opening up. There has always been a strong link between Havana and New Orleans in terms of trade. The port will absolutely benefit from this.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:54 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Another video game developer has chosen New Orleans for a design studio. 80 new high paying jobs at Place St. Charles.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...developer.html

I also agree about the potential for new jobs with Cuba opening up. There has always been a strong link between Havana and New Orleans in terms of trade. The port will absolutely benefit from this.
Given whats likely to be shipped getting Chiquita back will pay even more for the local economy. Right now New Orleans ships 144 million dollars a year worth of cargo there and zero is shipped back. The cargo that is shipped there is mostly food aid. Interesting to see where this goes. Im sure a straight flight from nola there could happen to.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:30 AM

I think bulk cargo will be the initial form of trade in terms of agricultural products, petroleum products, chemicals, etc. Basically, things that Cuba has to import to function and that we ship out SELA in mass quantities. Any Cuban exports will also likely be agricultural in nature seeing as there is little if any manufacturing base in place. Once again, our port system is the preferred agricultural port in the country, and allows for easy connectivity to the eastern 2/3rds of the nation. Miami and Tampa are closer, but also offer little in way of connectivity to the rest of the country. In terms of container goods (manufactured products), until the Cuban economy improves and people there can afford to buy more than the basics I don't see much in the way of exports from the US initially.

I agree that a non-stop flight could occur given the business traffic that will likely develop between the cities. I know route authority has already been granted to MSY, so an airline can easily come in if the traffic warrants it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:42 AM
TL;DR

Guys, the Cuban embargo is still in place and requires an Act of Congress to remove. What happened today was about opening diplomacy.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Guys, the Cuban embargo is still in place and requires an Act of Congress to remove. What happened today was about opening diplomacy.
Not actually true... he has the ability to change a lot. One you can be sure trade will increase. They are now removed from state terrorist list that means many other things can be opened. Sure , congress has to fund an embassy etc but you don't have to have an embassy right away to make changes. Its a big deal.

After reviewing WTC proposals more I can say while I dont think the Conrad Hotel proposal is nescessarily bad, Iworry about one group of developers controlling too much of our inventory(the same group has plaza tower, market street and is bidding on convention center development too. plus they have many hotels and malls already). So that is personally a negative from my point of view. I want diversity in offerings.

Really Like These Sidewalks:

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:34 PM

Crane just went up on the International Shipholding site at St. Joseph/S. Peters.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:19 AM

Land Clearing in Algiers

Any idea what they're doing here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9133.../data=!3m1!1e3

Drove through there yesterday and the land has been cleared between Behrman Hwy and the gas station...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Any idea what they're doing here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9133.../data=!3m1!1e3

Drove through there yesterday and the land has been cleared between Behrman Hwy and the gas station...
Maybe a new school

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Maybe a new school
I thought the new Habans school building was going here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9201.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:56 AM

I think it's a RaceTrac.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
I think it's a RaceTrac.
So they're building a RaceTrac right next to a Murphy Oil gas station?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
So they're building a RaceTrac right next to a Murphy Oil gas station?
Whoops - I mistook this site for one closer to Belle Chasse Hwy. Not sure what's going in there.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 3:07 AM

I haven't seen the land clearance, but I'm wondering if its the beginning of the long awaited movie studio development announced long ago

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:00 AM
life is good

Phase 3 of IBERVILLE redevelopment underway
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...uild-underway/

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 8:50 PM
life is good

Interesting read about the Amtrak Crescent from the IB Times. There is some misinformation about Amtrak's budget and unnecessary attacks (imo) but overall it's still a great read

http://www.ibtimes.com/strangers-tra...escent-1504654

BTW I know some (most?) forumers don't pay for access to NO City Biz so here is a render from the article and some choice quotes. I like the render quite a bit and details sound great!

(render courtesy HRI)
Quote:
recently closed on financing with U.S. Bank for the $22.8 million third phase. Building permits were issued this past week.
The project will add 105 apartments that will be a mix of market-rate units, public housing and workforce housing.
Josh Collen, vice president of development for HRI, said the third phase includes two townhouse structures fronting Treme Street, a four-story mixed-use building on Basin Street, and a rehabilitation of two of the 16 historic Iberville buildings that were spared from demolition last year. He said designs for the mixed-use building will resemble those used in construction of the Aloysius Apartments on Esplanade Ave, which HRI completed in 2011.
The Basin Street building will also include about 4,000 square feet of retail space, which would likely house a café, restaurant, or other business that could activate the area, Collen said. HRI has not yet started a search for a tenant.
Meanwhile work is also wrapping up on the first two phases of Iberville, which are being built simultaneously. Phases one and two include 227 units spread across three multi-family buildings, three townhouse complexes and eight historic rehab structures. The project also includes reconfiguration of infrastructure within the development.
Collen said residents will begin moving into phases one and two by March, around the same time that the streets in the development are set to open. Former Iberville residents will get first preference. He said the buildings are expected to be handed over to HRI by late June.
The entire Iberville project will create 880 housing units, including 304 public housing replacement units, 315 market-rate units and 261 “work force” units for households with income less than 60 percent of the area median family income...
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...uild-underway/

Last edited by Eightball; Jan 1, 2015 at 9:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations