HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:24 PM

check mitche's thread on suburban developtment in portland http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125601

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:55 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Isn't that project still being contested by the people who live in Mississippi?
You think they would have spent their time contesting more offensive things in their neighborhood, such as:

$3.00 fish tacos at Porque No
The fact they don't have a grocery store
The increasing number of antique stores setting up shop
Severe body odor

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:55 PM

Condo-retail plan OK’d
Portland Tribune

The Kerns Neighborhood Association has voted to support a code variance to allow a four-story condo-and-retail development project at the intersection of Southeast 28th Avenue and East Burnside Street.

The project was conceived by the owners of the building currently at the site, which houses the Hungry Tiger restaurant and lounge.

Developers plan 6,000 square feet of first-floor retail and 32 condominiums above that, ranging in size from 500 square feet to 1,200 square feet.

The variance would allow more off-street parking for residents of the new building and the elimination of certain loading zones that would otherwise be required to support businesses.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...31805577956200

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:04 PM

and back to the saga...The Garage Proposal that Would Not Die!

one way or another, this project has been in the works for something like 3 or 4 years now...

Planned garage near NW 23rd divides groups
TRIB TOWN: Portland council looks this week at neighborhood association’s design appeal
By Jim Redden
The Portland Tribune, Feb 13, 2007, Updated 1.5 hours ago

The City Council Wednesday is set to take up the issue of the first new parking garage proposed for upper Northwest Portland in many years.

Although the issue before the council is the design of the garage, some local activists hope the council will use the opportunity to reject the garage – and five others allowed under a master plan for the neighborhood adopted by the council four years ago.

“This is a residential neighborhood that has invested heavily in mass transit. A parking garage goes totally counter to that direction,” said John Bradley, land-use committee chairman for the Northwest District Association, the area’s official neighborhood association, which is fighting the garages.

But many business owners believe the garage is needed to help accommodate the shoppers flocking to stores and restaurants along Northwest 23rd and 21st avenues.

“There’s a parking shortage in the area. We would like see the project go forward,” said Peggy Anderson, a saleswoman for Hospitality News and president of the Nob Hill Business Association.

Anderson has no opinion on whether the other garages allowed in the plan should be built: “We’re just trying to build the first one,” she said.

The garage is proposed to be built just behind Papa Haydn restaurant in the 2300 block of Northwest Irving Street. Its construction will require the demolition of a 101-year-old house at 2323 N.W. Irving St.

Sites for the five additional garages are also identified in the Northwest District Plan, which the council adopted in 2003.

The plan was originally submitted in 1999 by the Northwest District Association. It did not call for the construction of any parking garages, prompting the NWDA to appeal the council’s version of the plan to the state Land Use Board of Appeals. The appeals board ruled that the council had the authority to adopt such a plan.

“We believe this means the council also has the authority to change the plan,” Bradley said.

The garage is proposed to be built on property controlled by Richard Singer, a Portland developer who has greatly influenced the mix of retailers along 23rd.

After the design was approved by the city’s Design Review Commission, the NWDA appealed it to the council, arguing that it does not meet design guidelines of that section of Northwest, officially known as the Alphabet Historic District.

Anderson said the design fits in well with the existing neighborhood, however.

City Council members say they cannot comment publicly on such appeals because they are quasijudicial matters with legal implications.

jimredden@portlandtribune.com
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...31810889659300

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 6:50 PM

What is with the NW neighborhood people...first this garage, then the apple store. Are they against any change?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 10:45 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I am totally in favor of building 20 to 50 story parking garages in NW Portland.

oh wait, I'm being totally sarcastic. Have you ever BEEN to NW Portland, pdxman? How would you like a parking garage built 4 feet out from your kitchen window? Didn't think so!

Why the hell don't they build underground? As long as it doesn't affect people, they won't care... but that idiot, Mr. Singer, just likes to push buttons, as he owns virtually every property on 23rd. Bloody tourist street; no resident of the neighborhood ever even walks down the street because it's such a joke.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 7:11 AM

I've been to 23rd more times than i can remember...its one of my favorite places. From what i remember to have seen, the renderings of this garage weren't that bad for a parking garage and it would seemingly blend in with the other buildings. Its not a giant smart park...I just don't see any harm in it. But i guess we can agree to disagree--different strokes for different folks. In all seriousness, do you happen to live in nw portland zilfondel?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 8:19 AM

"Why the hell don't they build underground?" zilfondel

Minus the rage, why the hell don't they build the parking underground in NW 23rd? A little transparency is in order. We keep hearing that underground parking is so much more expensive than above ground, but how much more? The fight for the planned above ground parking structure has been extraordinary considering the phenomenally magnetic allure of 23rd Avenue.

It's as if the expense of an underground structure as opposed to the alleged lower cost of an above ground structure would somehow economically break 23rd Av. Most likely this extremely successful business district could afford any additional expense represented by underground parking under a manageable financing plan offered by lenders that know they would be fools to pass up an opportunity to lend it the money for this purpose.

The NW district neighborhood offers one of the best possible arguments for underground parking. It is primarily a residential neighborhood of vintage houses and apartments that dedicates just two of its streets, 23rd and 21st, to the very prosperous retail business trade. Why should this primarily residential neighborhood sacrifice its limited housing space to parking?

I seriously question any perceived need for more parking structures in the NW 23rd area, let alone the imposition of above ground parking structures. Already on many days, 23rd attracts enough shoppers to make negotiating the sidewalks amidst the crowds a rather cumbersome experience. Just where do they think all the people attracted to the area by the availability of parking in these structures, are going to walk once they get to 23rd?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 8:37 AM

Good points drmyeyes...i can agree with that arguement. Population control is something i never really thought about--i guess maybe you can have too many peds. I suppose thats why the streetcar is there, so people don't have to drive there. I guess at heart i'm pretty neutral about all this--if they build the garage then fine, if they don't so be it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 10:22 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
I've been to 23rd more times than i can remember...its one of my favorite places. From what i remember to have seen, the renderings of this garage weren't that bad for a parking garage and it would seemingly blend in with the other buildings. Its not a giant smart park...I just don't see any harm in it. But i guess we can agree to disagree--different strokes for different folks. In all seriousness, do you happen to live in nw portland zilfondel?
pdxman-

Yea, I lived on 20th & Marshall for 3 years. There are absolutely no buildings, except the hospital, that include parking garages in the main part of the neighborhood... particularly between 18th and 24th, the area is mostly comprised of single family homes (mostly Victorian) mixed with older brick walk-up apartments. A parking garage will most likely lower residential property values and act as a blight on the nieghborhood...

Land values should be high enough to make small underground lots (like the one built underneath the new Holst-designed home furnishings store... forgot what it is called) financially feasible.

Last edited by zilfondel; Feb 14, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 11:12 PM

I'm not sure or not if something like this is already being done, but it seems like it would be in the general interest of the city to encourage underground parking facilities as opposed to above ground. Seems like this is the kind of situation where PDC might come in to offer developers help with the extra cost of underground.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 11:43 PM
BANNED

I hear the Singer/Zell family always builds new buildings with foundations designed for addtional floors to be added later. To date they have not added on but maybe this garage is part of that plan.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmyeyes View Post

A little transparency is in order. We keep hearing that underground parking is so much more expensive than above ground, but how much more?
Digging is expensive.
Shoring walls are expensive.
When you get to 25 feet deep it get's extremely expensive, as the shoring design changes significantly and gets thicker and more expensive. Portland is particularly tricky as the 200' blocks do not always make nice with typical (required COP parking dimension) bay layouts. Unless you get into Valet parking and mechanized parking, it is pretty expensive, per square foot. Much more so than above ground parking.

Frankly, I don't see how 1 parking structure in NW portland will be the answer to the problems with parking. Unless it's huge. More folks will be encouraged to come because of its existence anyway.

Lake Oswego figured out how to get a parking hidden , they did the tried and true excercise of ringing/ cladding it with 4 story retail.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 1:18 AM

BrG, re; Lake Oswego parking structure; So the above ground parking is in the core of the building? Sounds very interesting; hides the cars, could allow ready access to upper level shops, but not a very efficient use of above ground space. Below ground parking has plenty of negatives. Two I can think of off the top of my head are ventilation and just generally, I don't like parking underground. Well, I don't like parking in any structure, but underground is probably worse. I figure it's just a penalty for driving a car. Valet parking, as long as the service is optional, is the answer to that for those that have the money. Plus, it creates another job opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 2:25 AM

Well, after reading more in to the parking garage situation and reading the editors piece in the nw examiner i've decided to flip flop and go against what i said earlier. I didn't know that this garage could be a gateway to possibly 6 other garages in the area--which is out of line. I thought 1 would be ok, but not if it means 6 others would be built. The one thing i've wondered is whether the residents in nw care if people park in front of their house...you'd think that they'd rather have the cars put in to a garage of some sort. But who knows???

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 4:09 AM

I'm not exactly sure of the visitor street parking situation right now, but I think it's regulated by signs with 1hr-2hr parking limits. That's the way it is up on king's hill where I usually park if I want to drop in on 23rd, etc. King's Hill residents had to complain like hell for years before the city finally did something about out of neighborhood people abusing street-side parking in front of their houses; sports fans and downtown office workers beating parking fees often completely filled the streets in front of their houses. No doubt the situation was somewhat similar in NW.

NW residents should come first for streetside parking for their cars. That's the way it is now I think....they can get a resident parking permit. 23rd and 21st retail should wake up and provide the most unobtrusive parking possible for the many, many people they seek to draw specifically to the neighborhood to patronize the businesses on those streets.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 4:14 PM

Is the Westerly being built with an underground garage? I'm wondering why they couldn't have built a 'super garage' underground there, and the adjacent shopping plaza parking lot, before constructing the building and townhomes.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmyeyes View Post
BrG, re; Lake Oswego parking structure; So the above ground parking is in the core of the building? Sounds very interesting; hides the cars, could allow ready access to upper level shops, but not a very efficient use of above ground space. Below ground parking has plenty of negatives. Two I can think of off the top of my head are ventilation and just generally, I don't like parking underground. Well, I don't like parking in any structure, but underground is probably worse. I figure it's just a penalty for driving a car. Valet parking, as long as the service is optional, is the answer to that for those that have the money. Plus, it creates another job opportunity.
That is like the old broken window parable. Don't fall for that kind of make-work thinking Drmyeyes.

I don't like parking in a garage either. Reminds me of an old Seinfeld eppisode:
GEORGE: I can't park in a garage.
ELAINE: Why?
GEORGE: I don't know, I just can't. Nobody in my family can pay for parking, it's a sickness. My father never paid for parking; my mother, my brother, nobody. We can't do it.
ELAINE: I'll pay for it.
GEORGE: You don't understand. A garage. I can't even pull in there. It's like going to a prostitute. Why should I pay, when if I apply myself, maybe I could get it for free?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 4:44 PM

A bittersweet ending on a Burnside corner
Thursday, February 15, 2007
By Stephen Beaven
The Oregonian

Another glorious Portland dive, the kind of place where you could sit in a booth and have a half-pound burger or a plate of chow mein, has bitten the dust. It will be replaced by condos and shops.

It's a bittersweet ending for Ann and Alan Cohen, owners of the Hungry Tiger, a family-owned landmark at East Burnside Street and Southeast 28th Avenue.

But it's a new beginning, too.

The Hungry Tiger Too has opened nearby on Southeast 12th Avenue, and the Cohens plan to launch a more upscale restaurant on their corner once the redevelopment is complete.

"It's really with a heavy heart that we're doing this," says Ann Cohen, sitting in the empty restaurant after it closed late last month. "We have very strong ties with the community."

Cohen's parents, Sun and Rosie Wong, opened the Sun and Rosie Restaurant and Lounge in 1964. Ann and her five siblings grew up three blocks away.

Eventually, the kids took over the family business. Ann and her four surviving siblings own the half block of property where the restaurant sat, which includes three other storefronts the family leased through the years.

Ann and Alan own the restaurant and renamed it more than 20 years ago. It was like a neighborhood living room, Ann says, known for chop suey and potato salad.

But as the Kerns neighborhood began to gentrify, the building that housed the restaurant began to fall apart. A few years ago, it became apparent that the family would have to spend about $1 million to refurbish it.

"We're looking at that," Alan says, "and thinking there would be almost no return."

So they began considering alternatives and asked developer Randy Rapaport for help.

Rapaport, a family friend, is known for redeveloping underused properties in dense urban neighborhoods by building big and architecturally daring mixed-use projects.

He had wanted to buy the property from the family and rebuild it himself. But he agreed to serve as the developer.

The family will maintain ownership of the four ground-floor commercial spaces, which will be topped by 32 condos on three floors. Rapaport hopes to break ground by May and open the new development by June 2008. All the leased businesses on the property have closed, and demolition could start as early as April.

The name of the new project? The SunRose Condominiums. It'll still be a family business, but something Ann Cohen never imagined growing up.

"My dad had six kids," she says. "He sent us all through college. Once you go to college, you never think you're going to come back and run the family noodle joint."

Stephen Beaven: 503-294-7663; stevebeaven@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...740.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 1:21 AM

'Bout time. I'm tired of biking by that vacant lot.

www.backbridgestation.com is updated, too, including mention of the "Bakery Blocks" directly to the south.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland