HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:19 AM

Here's an idea, those unions want these buildings built, right? PA wants tenants, right? Tell the unions to go move there after it's built. There, see? Was that so hard?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Can any political entity at all strip the PA of rights to the site?

It's a well-nigh universally accepted theory that they're the ones futzing everything up.

The Port Authority owns the site. If effect, the site is owned by the states of New York and New Jersey. Chris Ward himself has to answer to the PA board, which is appointed by the governors of both states. But it seems both states have had a parade of governors since 9/11, with too many personal issues and scandals, and not enough focus on the WTC site. The last governor who had any direct control over the site was George Pataki, when he single handedly picked the Libeskind site plan (over his own committee's selection of another site plan) and when he demanded Silverstein not only crop his planned 2,000 ft tower, but top it with an asymetrical spire. The Port Authority was also forced into taking on the Freedom Tower, freeing up Silverstein to focus on the other towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:05 AM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_358/patterson.html

Paterson to Wall St.: I’m your friend; W.T.C. talks look good

Gov. David Paterson got a warm embrace from World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein
March 10 after saying the state and the Port Authority should offer more to rebuild the towers.

By Josh Rogers
March 5 - 11, 2010

Quote:
Gov. David Paterson ignored his difficulties in a speech to a Wall St. group Wednesday but he did play public peacemaker in the long-running World Trade Center dispute, saying he was optimistic a deal would be made.

...The one audience question came from C.B. 1’s vice chairperson, Catherine McVay Hughes, who wanted to know what Paterson was doing to resolve the W.T.C. dispute.

Paterson, who had been highly critical of developer Larry Silverstein’s offer to the Port Authority several months ago, said “I think all sides have put real and tangible offers on the table. So how do you describe that – cautiously optimistic – that’s where I’d say we are. Would you say that Larry?”

“I’d say that,” said Silverstein who was sitting a few feet away from the governor. Paterson then got the same response from Tim Gilchrist, who is representing the governor in the negotiations.

“Maybe with the disinfectant of public scrutiny we should just sit down right here and work it out right now,” Paterson said, drawing applause and laughs.

He said the state and the Port, which owns the site, had to offer Silverstein more assistance to reconstruct offices at the site, but all sides are in a tough position because of the economic downturn. The Port and Silverstein are supposed to return to the arbitration panel at the end of the week with a framework of a compromise.

Silverstein was one of the first to embrace Paterson after the speech. He declined to comment as he left.

Chris Ward, who was tapped to lead the Port by Paterson, said immediately after the speech: “We are working around the clock…We are talking and making progress but it’s too soon to say there will be a deal.”

Ward also chatted amicably Wednesday with Janno Lieber, president of Silverstein’s World Trade Center Properties. It looked to be a sharp contrast to the heated charges and countercharges the pair have exchanged the last year.

Menin said Paterson hit the right notes in the speech, but his troubles are clearly a distraction to the W.T.C. impasse. Getting everyone in the same room to solve things has been tried unsuccessfully many times before, she added.

“If I had a nickel for every single speech or press conference or groundbreaking that I’ve been to and someone has said ‘oh we gotta get the parties together, we gotta do the right thing’ -- we’ve got to have action,” she said. “This is a national disgrace. We are here eight years later with this hole.”

Maybe some hope for a deal afterall...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Bloomberg and Silver add more...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/op...bloomberg.html
A Last Chance for the Trade Center to Rise Again

By MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG and SHELDON SILVER
March 10, 2010

Quote:
AFTER years of false starts and broken promises, we have reached a defining moment in the rebuilding of the World Trade Center. By Friday, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the site’s developer, Larry Silverstein, must make a choice: Will they broker a compromise that allows them to move forward with rebuilding the historic heart of our city? Or will they allow their dispute to return to arbitration, condemning the World Trade Center site to years more of delays?

For the two of us, the choice is clear. In the days after our city was attacked, New Yorkers vowed to rebuild, to make Lower Manhattan whole again. And with new schools, parks and housing, it has been rejuvenated as a dynamic, bustling community.

...But the latest stalemate between the Port Authority and the developer, which has been dragging on since last summer, now threatens to overshadow and overwhelm all of the progress. At the root of their dispute is financing for the office towers that are to be built along Church Street, on the east side of the complex. With capital markets still tight, Mr. Silverstein is seeking credit assistance from the Port Authority for two of his skyscrapers; but the Port Authority is willing to fully back only one of them.

Because the new World Trade Center has been designed so that all the buildings share key infrastructure, an indefinite delay for one building would delay the entire eastern side of the site. That would mean the loss of 10,000 construction jobs and leave us with an enormous empty lot where we should have a revitalized Trade Center.

That outcome is unacceptable. And it doesn’t have to end up this way: Mr. Silverstein and the Port Authority have one day to hash out an agreement that fulfills their moral obligation to our city.

Several months ago, the two of us spelled out a compromise. It’s a deal that’s still within reach. Our proposal would require Mr. Silverstein to invest significantly more equity and take on more risk, and the Port Authority to provide more temporary credit assistance to move construction forward on both towers.

Mr. Silverstein has been receptive to this plan, but the Port Authority has not, couching its opposition as an effort to protect taxpayers and preserve its ability to pay for other transportation and development projects in the region. Its continued intransigence, however, comes with its own price.

Delays at the site have already cost the Port Authority tens of millions of public dollars. Not only would further delays cost much more, but rent proceeds from a thriving World Trade Center would provide money for the Port Authority’s other transportation projects around the city, including Moynihan Station and a new passenger rail tunnel under the Hudson River.

From the beginning, the redevelopment process was always intended to be a public-private collaboration. We need a reinvigoration of that partnership now more than ever. The parties have one day to produce a realistic schedule, a budget and a financing plan for the World Trade Center. The future of Lower Manhattan — and a piece of our national pride — depend on it.

Michael R. Bloomberg is the mayor of New York. Sheldon Silver is the speaker of the New York State Assembly.

http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/2010...or-friday.html

Paterson Trying to End Port Authority-Silverstein Dispute by Friday

By Matt Dunning and Carl Glassman
UPDATED Mar. 10

Developer Larry Silverstein, seated at a breakfast meeting next to Port Authority director Chris Ward, laughs as he hears Gov. David Paterson's suggestion that the two men work out their differences then and there.

Following Paterson's speech, he is embraced by Larry Silverstein, who chats with the governor as Port Authority director Chris Ward stands nearby

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:40 PM
World Machine

Maybe Paterson will be useful for once.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Maybe Paterson will be useful for once.
Yeah, if he can somehow salvage this, it will be his brightest moment. But really, it shouldn't have taken so long. Good to see he's giving the Port Authority that extra push. It's like making the children "play nice".

Nobody wants to see this...(rendering from the PA)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/opinion/11thu2.html

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 11, 2010 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:38 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
this image is perfect for nightmares ... brrr.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 6:08 PM
Editor

Yes, this image is a nightmare!! Don´t want to see it.

How are the chances that they get things reloved tomorrow?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 8:51 PM
Pacific Wonderland

I have the bad feeling that rendering will be all we see. What a joke this whole process has become, so frustrating. I hope and hope at least the Foster tower makes the cut.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 9:59 PM

Foster's tower is looking less and less likely, both due to the location and the cost. It makes more sense to build Tower 3.

I think we'll see a podium and a hotel at Tower 2's location (pure speculation). I think we'll get one more tall tower out of the deal, but not two. Unfortunate, but that's the way things look.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, if he can somehow salvage this, it will be his brightest moment. But really, it shouldn't have taken so long. Good to see he's giving the Port Authority that extra push. It's like making the children "play nice".

Nobody wants to see this...(rendering from the PA)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/opinion/11thu2.html

While I'd rather see new Twins I would 10000% rather see the full new WTC then this garbage

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTowersForever View Post
While I'd rather see new Twins I would 10000% rather see the full new WTC then this garbage
Yeah, that picture scares me... why couldn't they build another WTC2 (Freedom Tower) on the SE side of the site and call it good? Then we could deal with some low level hotels in the rest of the spots.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:29 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Pathetic to watch the huge gap that would be in between WTC1 & WTC4.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 4:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Foster's tower is looking less and less likely, both due to the location and the cost. It makes more sense to build Tower 3.

I think we'll see a podium and a hotel at Tower 2's location (pure speculation). I think we'll get one more tall tower out of the deal, but not two. Unfortunate, but that's the way things look.
Tower 2 is already on hold indefinitely, as it is the more costly of the two towers yet to start. It's Tower 3 that Silverstein is trying to get built.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 4:16 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york...plan-1.1807040

Port Authority head 'optimistic' on WTC financing plan

March 11, 2010
By MELANIE LEFKOWITZ

Quote:
The head of the Port Authority said Thursday he was "mildly optimistic" that an agreement with the World Trade Center site's developer over financing for three stalled office towers could be reached before Friday's deadline.

If the developer, Larry Silverstein, and the authority cannot reach an agreement by Friday, an arbitration panel will decide the issue, which officials fear could further delay construction by months or even years. The panel did not specify an exact time Friday.

"Mr. Silverstein has to get some real money, get some real tenants," Port Authority executive director Chris Ward said Tuesday. "That's why you build buildings. You don't build empty buildings as monuments."

Speaking at a breakfast of the New York Building Congress Thursday, Ward took a softer tone. "We're making progress," he said. "There are meetings going on right now and that have been going on and I plan to join those meetings. There is a sense that common ground is being reached and I am mildly hopeful."

A spokesman for Silverstein offered no comment except to say negotiations were continuing.

Last month, an arbitration panel warned Silverstein and the Port Authority that if they did not resolve the financing issue by Friday, it would impose its own solution.

In an op-ed published Thursday in The New York Times, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan) urged the Port Authority to provide Silverstein with more credit assistance.

"Because the new World Trade Center has been designed so that all the buildings share key infrastructure, an indefinite delay for one building would delay the entire eastern side of the site," Silver and Bloomberg wrote. "That would mean the loss of 10,000 construction jobs and leave us with an enormous empty lot where we should have a revitalized Trade Center. That outcome is unacceptable."

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Tower 2 is already on hold indefinitely, as it is the more costly of the two towers yet to start. It's Tower 3 that Silverstein is trying to get built.
That's what I just said.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
That's what I just said.
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is what you said...

Quote:
Foster's tower is looking less and less likely
My response is that it's already on hold. It would take a mini miracle of financing to get that one started too. The best to expect for that one is to get the retail base built, as horrible as it sounds.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:34 PM

Any news for Friday ?

Maybe on evening ; I am so impatient to read you ...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:37 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattali View Post
Any news for Friday ?

Maybe on evening ; I am so impatient to read you ...
I can´t wait. I´m restless the last hours....

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 7:43 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

No real update as of yet

NY1

Updated 2:08 PM
Deadline Day For World Trade Center Negotiations
By: NY1 News

The Port Authority and World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein are at the negotiation table trying to meet today's deadline to determine the future of the downtown site.

An arbitration panel wants a timetable for building two office towers at the site.

If the sides cannot agree, the panel will set its own timetable.

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward says some progress has been made on a plan.

Construction is underway on the project's centerpiece, 1 World Trade Center, as well as the September 11th memorial and a transit hub.

But Silverstein has asked for more public funding for two additional towers. The Port Authority has said it would rather delay construction until the real estate market improves.

Copyright © 2010 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive