HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:07 PM

Free Bryan Adams concert in 1990 at C.O.P.?? Anyone else remember this?

An old friend and I were having a conversation about this concert yesterday.. neither of us can find one word about it anywhere on the internet! I believe it was 1990. Were we living in a parallel universe, or did this concert actually happen? I am pretty sure it was at COP, it rained like crazy and was a riot - may have even been July 1. I am just trying to nail down a date and details for my own sanity! Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:49 PM

A few months off - sounds like a good time!

Adams still a fiery performer: [Final Edition]
Mayes, Alison. Calgary Herald; Calgary, Alta. [Calgary, Alta]18 Aug 1990: C16.

For the record: [Final Edition]
Herald staff. Calgary Herald; Calgary, Alta. [Calgary, Alta]19 Aug 1990: C6.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:56 PM

Amazing!
Thank, You Malcolm! I was truly going crazy!
Have an awesome day!
Dave

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 5:39 PM

Yup, I was there! Really enjoyed the show, but whoa, did it ever rain like crazy! So much mud...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:12 PM

Yes, it was soooo muddy, but an absolute great time! Almost 20000 people toughed it out to the bitter end just to hear Summer of '69. Good times.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:34 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Oh damn this brought back memories of EdgeFest a few years later, good times.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:10 PM

Yep - I was there with friends too.
I remember the rain and climbing back up the muddy hill as we had parked on top of the hill close to the ski jump tower.

I also remember that person being killed by lightning thinking that could have been me.

The concert was free because the promoter bailed at last minute and Bryan Adams said lets have a free concert. That is why we ended up going.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:18 PM

Hi from Japan! Yes I do remember. I and my friend were visiting my friend John in Calgary. On that morning John told us about that free gig at Olympic park. Some bands cancelled the show. Only 3 were there. The opening act was Paul Laine followed by TPOH (The Pursuit of Happiness) and then Bryan Adams and band was there. It was one of the best Bryan's gig ever for me. It started to rain just before encore stage started and the last tune was Summer of 69 in the heavy rain. It was muddy everywhere! Can't forget that one day in summer of 90 in Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 11:39 PM

Awesome! Love to hear the stories of this event! Thanks for weighing in everyone!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:06 PM
That's what she said

I had only heard about this concert and wondered if it was a myth. Nice to know it was an actual event.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 3:20 AM

Definitely rings a bell.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:55 AM

Beach Boys maybe?

Good luck to me for a response but does anyone know if the Beach Boys were one of the bands at COP that canceled and maybe played anyway? Or any other Beach Boy concerts in Calgary around that time?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:55 PM

So funny I was just looking this concert up and came across this thread. I was at this outdoor concert as well. I remember having the tickets and then a bunch of the bands backed out and Bryan Adams said he was going to put on a free concert for the ticket holders instead. Tragically Hip was just starting out and was one of the bands there, can not recall the other 2 any longer. Light rain in the early part of the day then started coming down pretty good. Bryan Adams was the last to perform and by then it was coming down pretty hard and towards the end the back drop of the stage in far distance was lightening! I remember thinking this was the coolest concert yet. Walking up the mud slope ski hill afterwards was funnier then heck! My friend had a Trans am and we got stuck in the mud pool. About 4 in the morning some guy in his canopy pick up truck came by to rescue the "left over" concert goers. Him and I stil laugh about it to this day. The best part was when he rolled his window down to have a look at why his tires weren't moving (in reverse) and stepped on the gas. All this mud came flying at the side of his right face and in through his open window. He took one look at me, who was historically laughing, and said one day I will laugh at this. Since then I have seen Bryan in concert 11 times, mad respect for him.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshowers View Post
So funny I was just looking this concert up and came across this thread. I was at this outdoor concert as well. I remember having the tickets and then a bunch of the bands backed out and Bryan Adams said he was going to put on a free concert for the ticket holders instead. Tragically Hip was just starting out and was one of the bands there, can not recall the other 2 any longer. Light rain in the early part of the day then started coming down pretty good. Bryan Adams was the last to perform and by then it was coming down pretty hard and towards the end the back drop of the stage in far distance was lightening! I remember thinking this was the coolest concert yet. Walking up the mud slope ski hill afterwards was funnier then heck! My friend had a Trans am and we got stuck in the mud pool. About 4 in the morning some guy in his canopy pick up truck came by to rescue the "left over" concert goers. Him and I stil laugh about it to this day. The best part was when he rolled his window down to have a look at why his tires weren't moving (in reverse) and stepped on the gas. All this mud came flying at the side of his right face and in through his open window. He took one look at me, who was historically laughing, and said one day I will laugh at this. Since then I have seen Bryan in concert 11 times, mad respect for him.
It wasn't just a free concert for ticket holders, it was a free concert for anyone. I and a couple of my friends were there. We had parked on top of COP and after the concert had to hike up the steep hill in the mud. That is all I remember - and also that it was free.

[well I just see now that I repeated something that I had posted earlier]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation