HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:23 AM

There are all kinds of benefits.

It's not just the actual number of students or jobs but the accumulative effect of them.

Many working there will want to live nearby as will many of the students. For the students who graduate and stay in London, chances are that if they were living downtown they will probably stay downtown and this will happen continually.

Students are also poor but they have have 2 budget items......rent and going out. Students love to stay out late, go for a drink, late night coffee, cheap dinners, individual clothing not Walmart brands, and tend to very much shop at unique indie shops which is where the downtown excels.

The Central Library will certainly see more usage as will the movie theatres and certainly the Market at lunch time with people eating outside. For the students who don't live downtown, due to parking, nearly all of them will use the LTC to get there as will probably most of the staff again due to having to pay for parking.

It fills up yet another parking lot and London is losing a lot of those gaping holes that once plagued the Core. It's amazing how the new Shoppers, even though only taking up one parking lot on Richmond, managed to make the section more urbane. The clear visual line between Richmond Row and Downtown was always that parking lot but now the two have basically merged and go seamlessly from one to the other. The new Fullerton building will help do the same.

This is a big boost for the Core which is almost unrecognizable from where it was 25 years ago when many were starting to just right it off. I know it may seem slow to you but when you only come back every few years, the changes really stand out.

So when is construction suppose to start and classes begin. Also how many Fanshawe students are already downtown?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I read that there is about 1000 currently, set to double with this new campus.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

LFP article on downtown:

A core on the move

hopefully a nail in the coffin of Tim Worst's other business, the cash bros loansharking shoppe, on Dundas near Richmond.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 2:41 PM

An article about Southwestern Ontario's economy including London from the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/why-...tion-1.2956488

Noticeably missing is mention of free trade and electricity prices.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 3:59 PM
Sanity merchant

I think for all the crap London has gone through over the last 10 years, or even the region, we're doing well enough. Losing places like Kellogg, Ford, or others may have dented what we relied on, but, it seems to have shifted focus to those smaller companies like voices.com or whatnot. To me, seems like London and the region as a whole is diversifying.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
I think for all the crap London has gone through over the last 10 years, or even the region, we're doing well enough. Losing places like Kellogg, Ford, or others may have dented what we relied on, but, it seems to have shifted focus to those smaller companies like voices.com or whatnot. To me, seems like London and the region as a whole is diversifying.
It seems like London is doing better overall now than it was a few years ago. At the time that I left London the job market was absolutely awful and a lot of my classmates at Fanshawe found the same thing. Many of us left the region.

I haven't looked in detail, but I have a hunch finding a job in London today would be easier than it was in 2009 or 2012.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:47 PM
Sanity merchant

Yea I'd agree. My career path is pretty limited in choices, so searching out work really has few ends. But, there seem to be more now than 5+ years ago.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:22 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I wonder how much of this is going to be permanent work, though. Given the timing I kind of suspect a lot of temporary summer positions may be included in those numbers. That being said, I think the crashing dollar is inevitably going to help what's left of the manufacturing sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I haven't looked in detail, but I have a hunch finding a job in London today would be easier than it was in 2009 or 2012.
I didn't find it particularly easy, at least for my field. I literally spent months looking for a job in the London area. Amazingly, a lot of firms didn't even consider Western grads, even with good grades and a decent work experience record. They all seemed to prefer hiring people out of the co-op programs at Laurier, Waterloo and Brock (to me, this shows that Western is behind the eight ball in the career services department). Just getting an interview was difficult; forget about an offer. The few jobs I did happen to come across were fairly low-paying positions that required less brainpower than jobs I had previously worked as a student (eg, accounts receivable). Not something you'd want to make a career out of.

I spent months on this pointless endeavour before caving and deciding to move back to Toronto. Within 3 weeks I had a string of interviews, and within 5 weeks I had multiple offers. I was astounded at how easy it was; needless to say I finally understood why so few Western students bothered sticking around London.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I didn't find it particularly easy, at least for my field. I literally spent months looking for a job in the London area. Amazingly, a lot of firms didn't even consider Western grads, even with good grades and a decent work experience record. They all seemed to prefer hiring people out of the co-op programs at Laurier, Waterloo and Brock (to me, this shows that Western is behind the eight ball in the career services department). Just getting an interview was difficult; forget about an offer. The few jobs I did happen to come across were fairly low-paying positions that required less brainpower than jobs I had previously worked as a student (eg, accounts receivable). Not something you'd want to make a career out of.

I spent months on this pointless endeavour before caving and deciding to move back to Toronto. Within 3 weeks I had a string of interviews, and within 5 weeks I had multiple offers. I was astounded at how easy it was; needless to say I finally understood why so few Western students bothered sticking around London.
That is powerful stuff. You should write a letter to the editor in the Free Press on this topic sometime. If people could see that Western is failing some students and not being the best it could be within London with the lack of co-op opportunities, changes might happen, you never know. Unfortunately from when I remember the university president Amit Chakma being interviewed on TVO shortly after he took over, Steve Paikin asked him a pointed question about the university's less than stellar relationship with London, and Chakma didn't seem to really care.

Is your field accounting? I'm aware of a small number of people from my graduating class who found CA/CMA/CGA jobs in London, but the majority found them in Toronto and one ended up on Wall Street. One person from my graduating class who did get a job in London left for Toronto in less than three years.

I've been looking at CPA Ontario job boards from time to time and I'd say 80-90% of the positions advertised are in the GTA, with the rest spread around Southern Ontario including Ottawa, London, and K-W - maybe once every three months you'll see one in Northern Ontario. It sucks since the GTA only makes up 45% of Ontario's population.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 3:27 AM

I hire post-secondary students on work terms every year (just finished lots of interviews last week for this summer), and am involved in committees and programs designed to get young people into as many aspects of their chosen sector as possible in order to get them as much industry exposure as as they can. As a result, I'm frequently I'm asked advice on careers by young people or their parents. My answer is always the same:

"Get good at something that people will pay you well to do. How you get that training to be good is optional, but be damn sure that you pick something that someone will pay you well to perform. That is not optional"

The last half of that statement is generally not executed well enough in Ontario. Too many mismatches between the training that too many young people are taking and what the job market (especially local) is asking for. If, for example, one grew up in London and wanted to stay there after school for a career it would be best to align with professions better suited for the local market. I will admit though that what that is for the London market has recently been a moving target, with the economic foundations of most medium sized cities in North America undergoing fundamental shifts in the past 10 years. Things in London seem to be settling down now into a new paradigm however, and the local economy seems to be finding a way forward. The key now is to get the training aligned with those needs. As much as I hate to say it, Fanshawe seems to much more on top of this than Western.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 2:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Economically, we're back.

It took London 5 1/2 years to catch up to the rest of Ontario

Quote:
THE RECOVERY

BY THE NUMBERS

250,000: The number of area people employed in January, up from 239,000 a year earlier.

11,000: Jobs created over that year.

20%: Area employers planning to hire in next three months, accordiing to recent Manpower Group survey.

--- --- ---

WHERE’S THE WORK?

Manufacturing: Area manufacturers added 2,300 workers in the last year, boosting employment to 29,000.

Business, finance, insurance, real estate: That sector added 10,200 jobs.

Professional services, accounting, law, engineering, technology: Employment rose by 4,700.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 1:25 PM

New craft brewery in Downtown London

Jim Bob Ray's (JBRs) is being replaced with the Toboggan Brewing Company. JBRs is closing next weekend after 22 years but will stay under the same ownership.

JBRs wasn't a bad spot in my undergrad years, except a friend of mine that was with me once got kicked out for allegedly throwing an empty beer bottle, which he did not do.

http://www.am980.ca/2015/03/22/jim-b...lose-saturday/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:25 PM

Excellent news! Love microbreweries and I'm looking forward to this 'new' JBR's, because I was never a fan of the old one. Sounds like it might give Richmond Row some much-needed post-undergrad cred

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 3:11 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
I'm frequently I'm asked advice on careers by young people or their parents. My answer is always the same:

"Get good at something that people will pay you well to do. How you get that training to be good is optional, but be damn sure that you pick something that someone will pay you well to perform. That is not optional"

The last half of that statement is generally not executed well enough in Ontario. Too many mismatches between the training that too many young people are taking and what the job market (especially local) is asking for. If, for example, one grew up in London and wanted to stay there after school for a career it would be best to align with professions better suited for the local market. I will admit though that what that is for the London market has recently been a moving target, with the economic foundations of most medium sized cities in North America undergoing fundamental shifts in the past 10 years.
To be honest, it's pretty difficult to gauge which careers are going to be viable and well-paying in the long term. You've always got information lag and then the good ol' BS factor (ie, trades and professional organizations who go around shilling for themselves in High Schools across the province), both of which work against you in the quest to make a fully informed decision.

Your advice is good though. A lot of young, impressionable people could really benefit from a tough line like that. Just out of curiosity, what industry are you in?

Quote:
That is powerful stuff. You should write a letter to the editor in the Free Press on this topic sometime. If people could see that Western is failing some students and not being the best it could be within London with the lack of co-op opportunities, changes might happen, you never know. Unfortunately from when I remember the university president Amit Chakma being interviewed on TVO shortly after he took over, Steve Paikin asked him a pointed question about the university's less than stellar relationship with London, and Chakma didn't seem to really care.
I've thought about writing a letter to the University, because the whole co-op/job search ordeal made me exceedingly cross for the longest time. Maybe I'll get around to writing a letter to the Free Press eventually. My big problem nowadays is the perennial time shortage.

Frankly it doesn't surprise me that Chakma didn't and likely still doesn't care. As the leader of the Order of the Ivory Tower, he probably thinks of himself as being part of something far grander and more important than the little peasants who inhabit the various townhouse complexes and detached bungalows that make up the City of London. But I think the point of failure occurs much lower on the pyramid. It starts with people in career services who are not doing their job and marketing Western grads like Laurier et. al. does with theirs. You end up having to market yourself, which is exceedingly difficult, as any self-employed professional will tell you. So it's understandable that people go where the volume is. It's a pity, because there's some excellent folks in the MOS department who would really like to see Western grads thrive in London.

Quote:
Is your field accounting? I'm aware of a small number of people from my graduating class who found CA/CMA/CGA jobs in London, but the majority found them in Toronto and one ended up on Wall Street. One person from my graduating class who did get a job in London left for Toronto in less than three years.

I've been looking at CPA Ontario job boards from time to time and I'd say 80-90% of the positions advertised are in the GTA, with the rest spread around Southern Ontario including Ottawa, London, and K-W - maybe once every three months you'll see one in Northern Ontario. It sucks since the GTA only makes up 45% of Ontario's population.
Yes, good guess! Public accounting. It's a tough gig, especially in Toronto. The competition here is just deadly, the hours are brutal (65+ a week... I have very little sympathy for 45-hour millenials who complain about their jobs being "demanding" and a lot of respect for investment bankers working 80 hours a week) but you're in it for the experience.

I think the big issue, insofar as the concentration of accounting jobs goes, is that Toronto has agglomeration economies on its side and London doesn't. There is simply a larger volume of more diversified work for people to do here thanks to the sheer number of companies that congregate around each other. Even though less than half of all people in Ontario live around Toronto, it's going to have far more than half the accounting jobs. The reason why your classmate probably left London is likely because he hit a glass ceiling and wanted to move on to bigger things. Personally, I'd like to take his spot- I get almost teary-eyed and nostalgic when I see the 401 onramp signs proudly labeled "WEST- LONDON". I really do miss the place, especially now that I'm living in a grungy area of an overcrowded city (although at least it's only a 5-minute walk to the GO Train, which is nice, even if I do have a pretty high chance of being mugged by High School truants).

If you want some job search tips, you can PM me and I can share some pointers. There's never a shortage of people lining up to bang their heads against the wall in this profession, and a lot of partners/managers view students as more of a burden than an asset, so you really have to go above and beyond.

EDIT: I apologize for the wall of text!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 3:28 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:

Jim Bob Ray's (JBRs) is being replaced with the Toboggan Brewing Company. JBRs is closing next weekend after 22 years but will stay under the same ownership.

JBRs wasn't a bad spot in my undergrad years, except a friend of mine that was with me once got kicked out for allegedly throwing an empty beer bottle, which he did not do.

http://www.am980.ca/2015/03/22/jim-b...lose-saturday/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
Excellent news! Love microbreweries and I'm looking forward to this 'new' JBR's, because I was never a fan of the old one. Sounds like it might give Richmond Row some much-needed post-undergrad cred
And by the way, this is excellent news. And if undergrad students can grab the crow-bar to open their wallets and spring for something that isn't just watered-down mashed cheerios, then all the better. It would be great if more craft businesses like this cropped up all across the province... too bad we have that pesky Brazilian/American brewer's monopoly getting in the way!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
And by the way, this is excellent news. And if undergrad students can grab the crow-bar to open their wallets and spring for something that isn't just watered-down mashed cheerios, then all the better. It would be great if more craft businesses like this cropped up all across the province... too bad we have that pesky Brazilian/American brewer's monopoly getting in the way!
There's a few of them scattered around and they seem to be increasing in numbers every year. There's one in Perth (west of Ottawa) with a really nice oatmeal stout. And there's one in Downtown Kingston that just opened last summer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:06 AM

Quote:
There is no connection with the city at all. I've taught large courses at Western and just for fun have surveyed my students on where they are from. 60% are from the GTA and they all just seem to head back there after they graduate anyway. They changed the name of the school to remove the "Western Ontario" moniker because they thought it sounded too 'regional' as if it's embarrassing to even be associated with Southwestern Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
There is no connection with the city at all. I've taught large courses at Western and just for fun have surveyed my students on where they are from. 60% are from the GTA and they all just seem to head back there after they graduate anyway. They changed the name of the school to remove the "Western Ontario" moniker because they thought it sounded too 'regional' as if it's embarrassing to even be associated with Southwestern Ontario.
And of that 60%, from my experience, almost all were from the 905. I can count on one hand how many students I knew at Western from the City of Toronto, but I knew many from Halton, Peel and York Regions. It's no different at Queen's - the students I've met there are largely from the 905; I don't know anyone there from Toronto itself.

From what I remember at Western, maybe 10% of the students were from London and area. I knew a few from Chatham and Sarnia as well.

I suspect students from Toronto itself may be more likely to go to U of T, York, or Ryerson?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, good guess! Public accounting. It's a tough gig, especially in Toronto. The competition here is just deadly, the hours are brutal (65+ a week... I have very little sympathy for 45-hour millenials who complain about their jobs being "demanding" and a lot of respect for investment bankers working 80 hours a week) but you're in it for the experience.

I think the big issue, insofar as the concentration of accounting jobs goes, is that Toronto has agglomeration economies on its side and London doesn't. There is simply a larger volume of more diversified work for people to do here thanks to the sheer number of companies that congregate around each other. Even though less than half of all people in Ontario live around Toronto, it's going to have far more than half the accounting jobs. The reason why your classmate probably left London is likely because he hit a glass ceiling and wanted to move on to bigger things. Personally, I'd like to take his spot- I get almost teary-eyed and nostalgic when I see the 401 onramp signs proudly labeled "WEST- LONDON". I really do miss the place, especially now that I'm living in a grungy area of an overcrowded city (although at least it's only a 5-minute walk to the GO Train, which is nice, even if I do have a pretty high chance of being mugged by High School truants).

If you want some job search tips, you can PM me and I can share some pointers. There's never a shortage of people lining up to bang their heads against the wall in this profession, and a lot of partners/managers view students as more of a burden than an asset, so you really have to go above and beyond.

EDIT: I apologize for the wall of text!
My focus is management accounting; for my next career advancement, I want to go into the accounting department of a large company and not an accounting firm. While all the accounting designations have merged into CPA over the past year, my original stream was CMA.

I'll PM you once I work some more on my resume!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy