HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:30 PM

More detailed Charity proposals and renderings have been released:
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...7250c4ef3.html

Looks like HRI indeed meant 382k sf of retail plus apartments and 1400 parking spaces. Their rendering shows at least four blocks of 4-5 story buildings between Tulane and Canal. While I like the general idea, I think Canal should have a much larger building - at least something the size of Canal Crossing with as many apartments. As for parking, it seems like too much given the amount of residential proposed - there are several garages in the area that are empty at night, if you have Tulane hospital and other employees living in the area, they could work out 24 hour parking to decrease the total need.

Another thing that surprises me is no mention of hotel or extended stay, even in the outparcel developments. Those seem to make plenty of money and I don't think anyone would mind putting hotels around as long as it reduces the taxpayer burden for the total development, which is hefty. I personally find it troubling that such a large development would be contributing no property or sales taxes to the city or state as proposed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:34 PM

Is that Metairie buliding 2 hotels or a hotel and a storage facility?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

I would think so too.. just never realized rusty nail does restaurant food
I didn't realize that either, but maybe that's the purpose of the addition? Adding a real kitchen to have an expanded menu? Also I noticed another wedge-shaped lot near there (across from 1100 Annunciation) has been fenced off. Any word on what's going on there? It's this lot: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...6!4d-90.069213

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:29 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
I didn't realize that either, but maybe that's the purpose of the addition? Adding a real kitchen to have an expanded menu? Also I noticed another wedge-shaped lot near there (across from 1100 Annunciation) has been fenced off. Any word on what's going on there? It's this lot: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...6!4d-90.069213

I just noticed they cleared and fenced that lot recently too. I recall Tennis posting renderings of a 4 story building with a bar on the first floor a while back.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I just noticed they cleared and fenced that lot recently too. I recall Tennis posting renderings of a 4 story building with a bar on the first floor a while back.
If i recall, it was on a real estate site and it was a very modern building.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:41 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
If i recall, it was on a real estate site and it was a very modern building.
There's recent plans for it on one stop. It's 1131 TCHOUPITOULAS ST. Looks like they're doing test piles today

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
that would be nice to see .. i know its 30 plus percent presold which i think is the trigger for financing for some projects .
They're definitely ramping up advertising - the NOLA Advocate site today was plastered in 1100 Annunciation stuff when I visited.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
its the new DINOS and a big apartment for the owner on top two floors with bar and event space as well as outdoor space below

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post

Looks like HRI indeed meant 382k sf of retail plus apartments and 1400 parking spaces. Their rendering shows at least four blocks of 4-5 story buildings between Tulane and Canal. While I like the general idea, I think Canal should have a much larger building - at least something the size of Canal Crossing with as many apartments. As for parking, it seems like too much given the amount of residential proposed - there are several garages in the area that are empty at night, if you have Tulane hospital and other employees living in the area, they could work out 24 hour parking to decrease the total need.

Another thing that surprises me is no mention of hotel or extended stay, even in the outparcel developments. Those seem to make plenty of money and I don't think anyone would mind putting hotels around as long as it reduces the taxpayer burden for the total development, which is hefty. I personally find it troubling that such a large development would be contributing no property or sales taxes to the city or state as proposed.
lol looks like HRI really wants to bulldoze my house lol or conveniently left me out in the corner

but looking at these two proposals it appears to me HRI is a definite frontrunner..

also to clarify the rendering that not four blocks but two .. one block on each side of Villere... the indentations mid block are just to create plaza space

this is a quick mock of hri plans

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
lol looks like HRI really wants to bulldoze my house lol or conveniently left me out in the corner
Ha, yeah noticed that. I wonder how can they get away with such a proposal if they don't have property lined up for it? You can imagine that owners would jack up their asking price if HRI's proposal wins.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:

I endorse the 1532 Tulane Partners proposal over HRI Properties. Having community spaces, large Charity Hospital museum, innovation hub, high school, & mixed-income housing is an exciting conglomeration of uses for the building & for New Orleans going forward.

Cuz moving City Hall to Charity Hospital is
1) a time which has come and gone and
2) incompatible w/ other uses (i.e. having residences and retail doesn't fit with civic monumentality, importance, and singularity of a City Hall
3) doesn't feel secure.

And I can't remember which report but they mention that the luxury residential market is oversaturated and that hotels don't make sense in the area/want to make it more for community use.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Is that Metairie buliding 2 hotels or a hotel and a storage facility?
ones a hotel and ones a storage facility

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccali1214 View Post
I endorse the 1532 Tulane Partners proposal over HRI Properties. Having community spaces, large Charity Hospital museum, innovation hub, high school, & mixed-income housing is an exciting conglomeration of uses for the building & for New Orleans going forward.

Cuz moving City Hall to Charity Hospital is
1) a time which has come and gone and
2) incompatible w/ other uses (i.e. having residences and retail doesn't fit with civic monumentality, importance, and singularity of a City Hall
3) doesn't feel secure.

And I can't remember which report but they mention that the luxury residential market is oversaturated and that hotels don't make sense in the area/want to make it more for community use.
hRI has several different proposals versions of their proposal... city hall im not sure is a go or not but i would be fine either way ... but my guess is it stays where it is and if hri won it would be one of the other proposals but also just cause someone committed to one of the other guys proposal doesnt mean they couldnt join the other groups after they won. i dont like the idea of low income housing.. but support mixed income or workforce housing for sure..hotels dont make sense in that location thats for sure and the building is too big for that too

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:02 PM
-

Quote:
Ha, yeah noticed that. I wonder how can they get away with such a proposal if they don't have property lined up for it? You can imagine that owners would jack up their asking price if HRI's proposal wins.
the last round of charity stuff did the same things.. its always just a vision of what they want to do nothing set in stone.. look how different south market compared to that original rendering from years ago.. def much better looking what actuallys been built

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
hRI has several different proposals versions of their proposal... city hall im not sure is a go or not but i would be fine either way ... but my guess is it stays where it is and if hri won it would be one of the other proposals but also just cause someone committed to one of the other guys proposal doesnt mean they couldnt join the other groups after they won. i dont like the idea of low income housing.. but support mixed income or workforce housing for sure..hotels dont make sense in that location thats for sure and the building is too big for that too
9% LIHTCs are a major funding source for both proposals so you can assume the % of affordable units will be 40% or less since you get a decent # of points for 40% or less affordable on your tax credit application. That being said the income requirements for those affordable units will vary greatly. HRI's proposal seems to want to use part of the Charity redevelopment to meet the City's offsite replacement requirement for the Iberville redevelopment. I think they are still short a bunch of units for this requirement so Charity represents a chance to meet the remaining goal. That would mean a solid % of the 40% affordable units will effectively be public housing units. The current Iberville Redevelopment has like 30% public housing units so its not like this means the whole development will not work. IMO I am not sure that area of the CBD could absorb hundreds of market rate units at this point so some affordable mix has to be included in order to make the project work.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
9% LIHTCs are a major funding source for both proposals so you can assume the % of affordable units will be 40% or less since you get a decent # of points for 40% or less affordable on your tax credit application. That being said the income requirements for those affordable units will vary greatly. HRI's proposal seems to want to use part of the Charity redevelopment to meet the City's offsite replacement requirement for the Iberville redevelopment. I think they are still short a bunch of units for this requirement so Charity represents a chance to meet the remaining goal. That would mean a solid % of the 40% affordable units will effectively be public housing units. The current Iberville Redevelopment has like 30% public housing units so its not like this means the whole development will not work. IMO I am not sure that area of the CBD could absorb hundreds of market rate units at this point so some affordable mix has to be included in order to make the project work.
Makes sense ! As long as its matintained well with proper tenant screening it will turnout to be nice redevelopment of a very difficult building to repurpose

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:13 PM
-

No surprise but the airport is pushed back until May 2019.. at least the long term parking garage will be ready by then so parking will be much better handled

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
No surprise but the airport is pushed back until May 2019.. at least the long term parking garage will be ready by then so parking will be much better handled
They sent out a newsletter today that also announced $35 million in additional funding, part of which will be used to extend the protected gate area so that 5 gates will be ready for international flights. They'll be expanding the canopy outside in the arrivals area too so that more space is covered.

https://mailchi.mp/d1e62d613316/city...5?e=12e34a72c2

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:37 PM
-

Quote:
They sent out a newsletter today that also announced $35 million in additional funding, part of which will be used to extend the protected gate area so that 5 gates will be ready for international flights. They'll be expanding the canopy outside in the arrivals area too so that more space is covered.

thats really good news.. well looks like its all for the best.. im fine with the delay for a better airport anyways.. but good news is the interior will still be ready on time so tenants will have plenty of time to plan the transition and their build out and no reason for anyone to not be ready to roll opening day

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:37 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:

Thats good news! They HAVE to start building an exit to the damn thing soon though. I can't believe its even going to happen without one but its going to be a nightmare to get there for a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations