HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 6:47 PM

84 year old televangelist who purchased land in Mission Valley's hotel circle wants to build a religion theme-park and break ground this year

http://obrag.org/?p=103261

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2016/jan/29...televangelist/

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...126-story.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 7:46 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So driving down from LA on I-5 to the Farmers Insurance Open yesterday, I noticed two new building nearing completion in La Holla as what appears to be part of the UC San Diego hospital complex just east of I-5. They look very, very cool. Glassy, modern, one with a facade pattern not too dissimilar from Gerhy's IAC building in NY, but with a more silvery look as opposed to light blue. Anyone have any details on them, including who the architect(s) is/are?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
So driving down from LA on I-5 to the Farmers Insurance Open yesterday, I noticed two new building nearing completion in La Holla as what appears to be part of the UC San Diego hospital complex just east of I-5. They look very, very cool. Glassy, modern, one with a facade pattern not too dissimilar from Gerhy's IAC building in NY, but with a more silvery look as opposed to light blue. Anyone have any details on them, including who the architect(s) is/are?
Totally agree with you. I work up near La Jolla and drive by those on the 5 during the week. I'm especially impressed with the shorter one - glass and concrete that hugs the hilly terrain really well. I don't have many details other than that the taller one is a hospital and the shorter one I believe is also a medical/research building. The concrete use reminds me of the Salk Institute which is also in another part of La Jolla.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 12:56 AM

This may be useful information about the Centrum site in Kearney: http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-com...14/pc14027.pdf

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:35 AM

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...pub-san-diego/

Can you guys believe someone would be willing to protest this? I live a few blocks away. It's a shitty little building that will be improved and add foot traffic to the area. People protesting neighborhood improvement because beer. Uggghhh.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 12:28 AM
500 foot Groundscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego View Post
It was a restriction on landing in San Diego because the weight of the plane was too much to stop on the runway. Back in the early 2000s BA would drop off luggage and passengers in Phoenix to lighten the load.

I wonder if the runway has improvements (I know it's been worked on several times after that) or the aircraft has improved?
That may be the case but my understanding is that most weight issues at SAN are associated with reverse flight operations.

I'm no pilot or plane expert but what I've read is that if conditions don't allow for visual flight, planes have to do instrument landing, but the normal westbound approach is too steep (and runway 27 is too short) on the Banker's Hill side to allow for it. So the planes are forced to land from the Point Loma side and take off facing Banker's Hill. That eastbound takeoff is balls to the wall full throttle since it's so steep, hence they need to shed weight to take off fast and steep enough.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:23 PM

Like usual, the list isn't always accurate or comprehensive, but Civic SD has posted its Downtown Project Status Log for 2015 year-end:

http://civicsd.com/images/stories/do...2015_Final.pdf

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:51 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

"Robert Green in Company" (Developer) has some high quality renderings of 5th Avenue Landing on their site.

Quote:
FIFTH AVENUE LANDING
SAN DIEGO, CA

The Robert Green Company, in partnership with Fifth Avenue Landing LLC, has submitted a proposal to the Port of San Diego for Fifth Avenue Landing, a world-class convention center hotel along the San Diego Bayfront. The project consists of an 831 room convention center hotel, and a 565-bed shared lodging hotel. Fifth Avenue Landing, located between the Convention Center and the San Diego Bay, also includes an expanded marina, new public open space, and viewing plazas for all San Diegans and visitors to enjoy.

Fifth Avenue Landing will feature:

831 room hotel tower.
Hotel tower terrace with public access viewing areas.
Bridge from hotel tower to the Convention Center viewing platforms.
565-bed low-cost accommodation hotel.
310-320-space parking garage.
65,810 SF of Plazas with ground/promenade access.
Public boating dock slip.
Marina with 20-25 slip expansion pile supported pier or floating docks with recreational Island.
6-8 promenade open air cafes/retail storefronts.
Over 64,000 square feet of function and function support space.
========================
http://www.therobertgreencompany.com...ding-san-diego

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:00 AM

Probably the nicest proposal San Diego has received in the past 5 years.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:30 AM
BANNED

As for Kettner Lofts is concerned Caliber Collision has already relocated to W.Palm ave. so the building is probably close to demo

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
"Robert Green in Company" (Developer) has some high quality renderings of 5th Avenue Landing on their site.

That looks like an amazing hotel and that boardwalk is fantastic.

That said, how is this proposal not a 'wall' that blocks off the access to the bay?

Isn't that one of the main points of contention for the convention center?

Also, does anyone think there is a way to combine the hotel from this plan with the convention center expansion? It feels like both could be done.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 7:34 PM
Babylon falling

Dale remember the whole "walling off" thing is the Corey Briggs fallacy with no logic because he represents JMI who wants the CC annex built behind Petco. Briggs actually applauded this project we are discussing. It enhances access to the bay and provides the affordable "hostel" style lodging the Coastal Commission has been craving. The only problem I see here is how long will the public pedestrian walkway be closed during construction as it runs underneath the tower, I'm guessing at least 1 year and the Coastal Commisssoin will frown upon that big time unless the path can somehow be temporarily re routed around the giant construction site...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 7:54 AM

I like it
/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Dale remember the whole "walling off" thing is the Corey Briggs fallacy with no logic because he represents JMI who wants the CC annex built behind Petco. Briggs actually applauded this project we are discussing. It enhances access to the bay and provides the affordable "hostel" style lodging the Coastal Commission has been craving. The only problem I see here is how long will the public pedestrian walkway be closed during construction as it runs underneath the tower, I'm guessing at least 1 year and the Coastal Commisssoin will frown upon that big time unless the path can somehow be temporarily re routed around the giant construction site...

Man is Briggs not one of the worst things to happy to San Diego or is it just me?

I just don't see how this project adds any more access to the Bay than an expanded CC couldn't. The affordable 'hostel' lodging does nothing for the residents of San Diego and that's a common sticking point.

It would be one thing if there was an all or nothing stance but the double standards and subjective reasoning just makes you want to throw up your arms.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:40 PM

Man, that's awesome! My confidence level is low, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales5050 View Post
Man is Briggs not one of the worst things to happy to San Diego or is it just me?

I just don't see how this project adds any more access to the Bay than an expanded CC couldn't. The affordable 'hostel' lodging does nothing for the residents of San Diego and that's a common sticking point.

It would be one thing if there was an all or nothing stance but the double standards and subjective reasoning just makes you want to throw up your arms.
Briggs' non-opposition to this hotel is one of the most egregious cases of hypocrisy I've seen. He's so adamantly opposed to ANYTHING built on or near the waterfront, and yet this isn't so bad? C'mon buddy. As Mello pointed out, at least we know who's funding his BS (JMI).

That said, the hotel looks pretty sweet. It'll be one of the bigger upsets in development history if it gets past the Coastal Commission, though.

In other news, I've seen some activity over at Bosa's Kettner & Ash site. It might be/probably is nothing, but I'm hoping that tower gets moving soon...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbn22 View Post
Briggs' non-opposition to this hotel is one of the most egregious cases of hypocrisy I've seen. He's so adamantly opposed to ANYTHING built on or near the waterfront, and yet this isn't so bad? C'mon buddy. As Mello pointed out, at least we know who's funding his BS (JMI).

That said, the hotel looks pretty sweet. It'll be one of the bigger upsets in development history if it gets past the Coastal Commission, though.

In other news, I've seen some activity over at Bosa's Kettner & Ash site. It might be/probably is nothing, but I'm hoping that tower gets moving soon...
Walling off the waterfront is a smoke screen, Briggs is in bed with JMI and is pushing the detached convention center expansion - this is part of the ballot intitiative he's floating where JMI is paying for signature gatherers. It's an incestuous scam

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 8:06 PM

Color me clueless, but why does Briggs hate the hoteliers on the bayfront so much anyway? It seems he is fine with being buddy-buddy with JMI (a hotelier) but whenever Briggs gets an opportunity to shun the bayfront cartel, he does. Is John Moores really paying him that much?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:27 PM

How things play out for the convention center expansion will now be tied to what the city decides to do (or not) with the downtown stadium site. It that's in play for the Chargers then expect more talk of tying the two together.

FYI, one of the reasons comic con doesn't use Petco as much as they could is its not covered. They've talked about using it more but the cost of getting proper overhead cover for it puts it out of the question. So if the Charger stadium had a roof it might actually work for them.

I think whatever site they pick it will have a better chance as a "stadium project" vs a stand alone stadium. I'm not sure I like a stadium/convention center project but I think I'm open to the idea until I see what exactly it will look like. If it's a expansion with a covered stadium too that would be a hell of a lot of space for conventions.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
How things play out for the convention center expansion will now be tied to what the city decides to do (or not) with the downtown stadium site. It that's in play for the Chargers then expect more talk of tying the two together.

FYI, one of the reasons comic con doesn't use Petco as much as they could is its not covered. They've talked about using it more but the cost of getting proper overhead cover for it puts it out of the question. So if the Charger stadium had a roof it might actually work for them.

I think whatever site they pick it will have a better chance as a "stadium project" vs a stand alone stadium. I'm not sure I like a stadium/convention center project but I think I'm open to the idea until I see what exactly it will look like. If it's a expansion with a covered stadium too that would be a hell of a lot of space for conventions.
I'd personally love to see a covered, but "open air" stadium, sort of what it sounds like the Inglewood stadium will be. The field and stands will be covered but the stadium will be open on the sides to allow natural breezes, etc to go through. If the city wants any chance of hosting big events outside of football, monster trucks and concerts, they need a covered venue. You're not going to get the Final Four without a cover.

Anyone think they could throw in a basketball/hockey arena if this project moves forward downtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations