HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:44 PM
Now in North Loop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale View Post
FortyAcres - we get it, you don't like comedy. So don't go to the comedy club.
please point to the part of my post where I say that or allude to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale View Post
anyway, back to something relevant please...
I was indeed making it relevant and applicable to this thread entitled PHOENIX DEVELOPMENT NEWS, you ding dong.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
has anyone else downloaded the new Google Earth? They have a feature now where you can look at past imagery. Downtown Phoenix is as old as 1992.

*no heritage square
*no bank one ballpark
*no science center
*no phelps dodge or collier's
*no sheraton obviously

Anything else?
No Camden Copper Sq. apartments either.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:38 AM
BANNED

Ahhhhh good call. My dumb neighbkrs who blocked off 9th street.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyAcres View Post
please point to the part of my post where I say that or allude to that.

I was indeed making it relevant and applicable to this thread entitled PHOENIX DEVELOPMENT NEWS, you ding dong.
I was just trying to say that just because you aren't interested in what's going into Cityscape, doesn't mean others aren't.. I've been to Lucky Strike several times and will probably go to the Comedy Club as well..

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
has anyone else downloaded the new Google Earth?
I've used it for quite sometime. I even check out the historic (1992) photos, but for some reason never bothered to look at downtown.

Look at the difference in the Warehouse District... WTH happened? I highlighted several blocks that have been destroyed just since 1992. The big one is obviously because of BOB/Chase Field, but what about the others? Several huge blocks have been mangled in our recent history. Are we only now starting to preserve?

I wish Google had streetview in 1992 so we could see exactly what has been lost.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 5:11 PM
BANNED

^^^Wow!

nice work.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:25 PM

Jesus! I mean look at the area south of Lincoln! That was all built out with warehouses and now it's all parking lots.

Does it have to do with being charged for property tax if there is a building on the lot and being charged far less if it's just the land?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Old Hard Rock Cafe and Marco Polo Supper Club complex is being converted to apartments.

Www.liveatalliance.com

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:17 PM
Skyriser

Better articles for the apartment site:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...site-sold.html

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...stone0118.html

Broadstone on Camelback...5 acre site sold for $10 million to build a 270-unit, 56' complex. Same developer built that antiurban complex at 16th and Campbell.

Last edited by combusean; Feb 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 11:38 PM
BANNED

I like that complex at 16th and campbell. It may be "antiurban" as you say it, but driving by it looks like a dense development with a big street presence.

Are they demo'ing the Hard Rock and old Mastro's buildings? It looked like a rehab job, but I can't believe they could get 270 units in there.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 12:36 AM
BANNED

The lot across from Brophy has been paved (marginally) with rough asphalt probably as overflow parking to the construction they're doing at Brophy. I had thought when I saw all the activity that there was something other than a parking lot going on it. Oh, well.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 6:08 AM
Skyriser

I'm almost certain they are demoing the site. It may look small, but 4.8 acres is about two and a third downtown blocks.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 1:21 AM

Looks like I'm going to be working in Phoenix this summer. Anyone know of non-sketchy apartments downtown at (or preferably under) the $500 price point?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:50 PM

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/28/134123...ix-Vacant-Lots

NPR/Morning Edition story regarding Downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonger06 View Post

Ah more good press. Though it is interesting to hear some of the reasons for the dirt lots.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:13 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonger06 View Post

The ideas of planting flowers in dirt lots and of 'walk in movies' are great ideas, we need more stuff like that. The City throwing obstacles in the way because buildings may eventually be built there is ridiculous.

Imagine how lovely it would be if all the dirt lots downtown were simply filled with mesquites, palo verde and brea's and the ground carpeted with lantanas of various colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigirdbers View Post
Looks like I'm going to be working in Phoenix this summer. Anyone know of non-sketchy apartments downtown at (or preferably under) the $500 price point?
Downtown can be tricky, there's a lot of nice high-ish end stuff as far as rentals go at places like Roosevelt Square and Alta PHX, and then there's older motel style apartment complexes next to dirt lots.

You may have better luck in Midtown, and then Light Railing into downtown. Google Maps used to let you search for apartments and tell it a price range, but it doesn't seem to allow that anymore.

You may also check out the Uptown area around Central and Camelback. Its a really nice, walkable area with just about everything you could need in walking distance. Its an easy LRT ride to Downtown or you can ride West to a Fry's, the Christown Mall area that has a Harkins & Target, etc.

There's a big block of Midcentury apartments from Camelback to Colter between 3rd and 5th Avenues, from the looks of them they don't seem to pricy, they'd be worth checking out.

Last edited by HooverDam; Mar 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 7:22 PM

I agree Hoover. I wonder how much it would cost to do up trees or simple desert planting for temporary improvements till a building goes up. Watering systems might make it too costly, but if they simply put desert plants and maybe nice gravel. That would make things much nicer. I bet some would even make donations to do that. I know I would.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 8:34 PM

I think some kind of park system would be perfect, desert or otherwise. If they could make it really nice, i think they could turn it into something unique and interesting downtown. I mean, 3-4 story buildings would be ideal, but failing that the city needs to require people to do something with that land.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
The ideas of planting flowers in dirt lots and of 'walk in movies' are great ideas, we need more stuff like that. The City throwing obstacles in the way because buildings may eventually be built there is ridiculous.

Imagine how lovely it would be if all the dirt lots downtown were simply filled with mesquites, palo verde and brea's and the ground carpeted with lantanas of various colors.

Downtown can be tricky, there's a lot of nice high-ish end stuff as far as rentals go at places like Roosevelt Square and Alta PHX, and then there's older motel style apartment complexes next to dirt lots.

You may have better luck in Midtown, and then Light Railing into downtown. Google Maps used to let you search for apartments and tell it a price range, but it doesn't seem to allow that anymore.

You may also check out the Uptown area around Central and Camelback. Its a really nice, walkable area with just about everything you could need in walking distance. Its an easy LRT ride to Downtown or you can ride West to a Fry's, the Christown Mall area that has a Harkins & Target, etc.

There's a big block of Midcentury apartments from Camelback to Colter between 3rd and 5th Avenues, from the looks of them they don't seem to pricy, they'd be worth checking out.

Thanks man, I feel dirty looking for something so cheap right by an awsome area by rosevelt. Guess the economy has a silver lining. I've seen stuff in the price range but I know it can be totally hit or miss at 500 bucks. I've got to stay below midtown, I'm thinking that the job is going to be odd and sometimes long hours so I don't really want more than a 5 minute commute. I'll take a look at the units you talked about.

P.S. Is Roosevelt row still a fun area or is it dead?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigirdbers View Post
P.S. Is Roosevelt row still a fun area or is it dead?
Roosevelt is still awesome, and 5th street has really come together. It's a nice area and those housing suggestions from Hoover were really good. Good luck! Also you might try looking west of central, around the 3rd Ave. My friend just scored a great little house around there for like $700 a month, so i'm sure you could find a cool place for around 500

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest