HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:02 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

A West Kildonan skyline

I spent five weeks at the Seven Oaks General Hospital in May and part of June because my kidneys failed.

I've observed that West Kildonan really doesn't have an observable skyline; there are no tall buildings in this suburb. The tallest buildings are 4-storey townhouses

it would be nice if West Kildonan had a Skyline that was unique. similar to Tuxedo or Assiniboia. It could be centered around the Seven Oaks General Hospital or the Northgate Shopping Center area, or the Garden City shopping centre area to create a sort of dense hub.

What is needed are some 25 and 30 storey condos or apartment blocks , similar to how Osborne Village has those tall towers, 7 and 11 Evergreen Pl.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:47 AM
BANNED

Hope all is well now, sounds like a tough deal!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 3:52 AM
keep the good times going

Yes, I hope you are doing better now!

That would be nice... that intersection is a very stroad in a sea of parking. It would be great to start with rethinking the street interaction of the existing buildings and work from that to add density on the edges of the large parking lot areas. Doesn't have to be towers, Even some nice 6 story buildings with a few taller ones. Then spruce up the sidewalks and make them wider, add more trees, etc. Rethinking areas like this have to start somewhere lol

That being said, there are a lot of areas that need this sort of treatment.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Hope all is well now, sounds like a tough deal!
Dialysis 3.5 hrs @ 3x per week and a pee bag (catheter). I've applied for MAID (medical assistance in dying). This is too much for me.

I feel tired and get a pressure headache after dialysis. The more urea they take out the more tired I feel and the longer recovery.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I spent five weeks at the Seven Oaks General Hospital in May and part of June because my kidneys failed.

I've observed that West Kildonan really doesn't have an observable skyline; there are no tall buildings in this suburb. The tallest buildings are 4-storey townhouses

it would be nice if West Kildonan had a Skyline that was unique. similar to Tuxedo or Assiniboia. It could be centered around the Seven Oaks General Hospital or the Northgate Shopping Center area, or the Garden City shopping centre area to create a sort of dense hub.

What is needed are some 25 and 30 storey condos or apartment blocks , similar to how Osborne Village has those tall towers, 7 and 11 Evergreen Pl.
I was born and raised in Weskay, and still live there. Personally I don't see the need for West Kildonan to have it's own skyline. i would rather save skylines for the downtown area. Of course if someone wanted to build a 25 storey condo I wouldn't go all NIMBY and protest it, but IMO, not really needed.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I was born and raised in Weskay, and still live there. Personally I don't see the need for West Kildonan to have it's own skyline. i would rather save skylines for the downtown area. Of course if someone wanted to build a 25 storey condo I wouldn't go all NIMBY and protest it, but IMO, not really needed.
For suburban areas they're called Town Centres, to separate from Downtown, featuriung dense buildings and a Transit (rail and/or bus) hub.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_centre#Canada

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:

I wish you well.
But, depending on what you refer to as W Kildonan, (I grew up there so here is my list).some hi-rises....Chateau West has 11 floors, Garden Towers has 7, Monash manor 9 all within a 1 block area in Garden City.. The Shellard in The Maples has 10, Marbury Apt 10 floors, Northwood Oaks tallest is 6 floors.....that to me is a fair bit. I personally prefer to see anything 10 or over downtown or adjacent to it like Osborne Village. I believe suburbs should be green an fairly clear viewing. I am ok with mid-rises in suburbs. 20 something would likely never happen or be allowed in that area.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I also grew up there and agree with your views on this. Every pun intended. lol...As my post below mentions, there are a few mid-rises... The maples is near & Garden City actually is in what was West Kildonan.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 2:32 PM

Hope things take a turn for the better, Mr. Zebra.

As for West K, that general neck of the woods (including The Maples, Amber Trails, Garden City) has not really seen any taller buildings go up in my lifetime. I'm sure there have to be a at least a couple that are more than 5 storeys built since the 80s but I can't really think of any. Just about all of them date back to the 60s and 70s.

I don't think that WK is alone in that regard, though... I live in St. Vital not too far from the mall and even though there have been tons of new builds in recent years along St. Mary's Rd and environs, they are all short-ish buildings with nothing having any real skyline impact. It's the same situation... any taller buildings tend to date back to the 60s and 70s.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:32 PM

I mean in Winnipeg it’s hard enough to get 25 story buildings in downtown as is although I’m sure West K has been experiencing growth but I don’t think a developer can justify having a high rise built there stemming from lack of demand or desire to live in a residence that is not detached housing.

The only suburban areas I can see something of that magnitude being built is Southwest Winnipeg. I mean the development occurring in Southwest Winnipeg is essentially a boom and arguably the most desirable area to be in for Winnipeggers. Although West K is close enough to Centreport where the effects of that massive development could stem in and completely change the landscape of the area.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 11:26 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

Man, I hope things get better for you. Best of luck to you.

I grew up in West Kildonan (and early on, Old Kildonan, which would be Riverbend up on North Main). I also went to West Kildonan Collegiate when it was on Main St where Edmund Partridge is. I know West K started on Salter, then moved to Main, and now finally it's on Ridgecrest.

Anyway, with all that said, I don't think 25+ storey buildings would make sense in this part of town. Maybe 4/5/6 storey apartments in clusters, similar to Broadstreet, Ironclad, or Deveraux apartments. Unless certain changes are made, West Kildonan will most likely remain predominantly low density single detached dwellings for decades to come.

Now, I'm not so sure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan