HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Maybe it'll be our Central Park one day, ha!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Is the scale for those three shots the same? If so, the sprawl southwest of St. John's is disgusting... it seems to cover a bigger area than Halifax.
The sprawl in CBS is ridiculous; I think this is attributed to the fact that, back in the day, CBS was a bunch of smaller towns that relied heavily on the fishery (like most other small outport towns in NL) so everything was built close to the water (again, like most other small outport towns). Once CBS amalgamated and essentially became a suburb of St. John's it seemed to spiral from there. I hope this can be fixed - but the way subdivisions are being built nowadays it doesn't look to be the case.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Someone posted the name which I didn't know, pages back here; it was there for years, but apparently had some leaks or possibly mold or structural problems probably because it was built of concrete block. . . and one day just vanished without a trace. It actually looks like 7 stories, and the address was 70 Beothuck Street.

Here is my old scanned image showing it (at the top), from around 1987.
Very interesting. I would love to hear more info on it if possible

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:04 PM

The sprawling that the satellite image shows is absolutely massive! I don't know if its because Halifax has more trees so the satellite can't pick up the streets as well, but St. John's seems to cover way more area than Halifax and Moncton.

On topic with the "Newburbia" talk this morning, I do agree that mount pearl and paradise should start looking at high rise residential developments. Mount pearl has nowhere to expand but up and paradise should try to increase density instead of more dead end subdivisions off main roads.

Also, can you guys see Paradise, Mount Pearl , and CBS amalgamating? For some reason I always though all suburb communities would have to amalgamate with St. John's.. I just never really thought about it any other way. Do you guys think that would work? I don't think so, because they are all "suburb towns" most people in all these communities work in St. John's.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
The sprawling that the satellite image shows is absolutely massive! I don't know if its because Halifax has more trees so the satellite can't pick up the streets as well, but St. John's seems to cover way more area than Halifax and Moncton.

On topic with the "Newburbia" talk this morning, I do agree that mount pearl and paradise should start looking at high rise residential developments. Mount pearl has nowhere to expand but up and paradise should try to increase density instead of more dead end subdivisions off main roads.

Also, can you guys see Paradise, Mount Pearl , and CBS amalgamating? For some reason I always though all suburb communities would have to amalgamate with St. John's.. I just never really thought about it any other way. Do you guys think that would work? I don't think so, because they are all "suburb towns" most people in all these communities work in St. John's.
I have never thought of it until today either.. I dont think it has to be the "big bad city" (in their eyes) coming in and taking over and then later they will probably morph into one anyway

I think any reducing the numbers of municipalities would be a good thing .. I mean when it comes to services mount pearl is much better and paradise is really good with organizing snow plowing etc .. so I dont think it is necesarily bad and I think when there are say 2 large players at teh table and like 3 or 4 smaller ones as oppose to one large player and 7 or 8 small ones .. things will run smoother and more coordinated .. even if it is within the amalgamated municipalities... also I can see Mount pearl having more of a centre in the future especially where it will have southlands and Glencrest wrapped around it so who knows

It's definatly interesting

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It would be an easier sell, I think... and a step that, although short of full amalgamation, would be well worth taking.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's