HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is Canada. We talk endlessly about how important the environment is and climate change is a critical concern for our federal government.

So... I'm guessing landfill.
I see your logic here...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I always liked it. It's a shame seeing it come down. Hopeful some of it is re-purposed.
While it wasn't my favourite building downtown, it is one of the rare examples (for Halifax) of mid 20th century architecture, and did have quality finishing materials (though admittedly with poor attachment hardware). I think it added a nice blend of architectural styles to the downtown which now seems to be disappearing somewhat.

Hopefully the new structure will make the loss worthwhile.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Interesting. New Horizons is kind of vague and new-agey; naming it after a Black Nova Scotian figure might have been more interesting. I'm sure the church had its reasons, though.
I imagine they wanted to choose a name which is bland and vague enough so as not to cause any sort of negative opinion from anybody. I suppose at least the new name is more imaginative than just naming it after the street it's on...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I imagine they wanted to choose a name which is bland and vague enough so as not to cause any sort of negative opinion from anybody. I suppose at least the new name is more imaginative than just naming it after the street it's on...
My memory of living in Yorkshire for circa 9 years and elsewhere for many decades I note baptist churches were very rarely named after a saint or any person.
Here is a list of Baptist churches in each state in the USA and note the common thread : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baptist_churches

The word 'First' appears 143 times !
The word 'New .....' for a church is not very common.

Obviously my hope for 'Richard Preston' was quite out of tune with the usual naming practice of Baptists.

HRM should have a memorial to Richard Preston in some prominent place , I could find only one supposed image of him : https://jmcgs.blogspot.com/2017/09/s...ays-to-go.html

Last edited by Colin May; Jan 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
My memory of living in Yorkshire for circa 9 years and elsewhere for many decades I note baptist churches were very rarely named after a saint or any person.
Here is a list of Baptist churches in each state in the USA and note the common thread : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baptist_churches

The word 'First' appears 143 times !
The word 'New .....' for a church is not very common.

Obviously my hope for 'Richard Preston' was quite out of tune with the usual naming practice of Baptists.

HRM should have a memorial to Richard Preston in some prominent place , I could find only one supposed image of him : https://jmcgs.blogspot.com/2017/09/s...ays-to-go.html
Honestly, the naming practices of churches are quite far off my radar in terms of interest. I just recall, in light of all the anti-Cornwallis hype that has been in the news for years now, that this church wanted to distance itself from Cornwallis, and thus its name change doesn't surprise me. In terms of how particular religions choose to name their places of worship, it's something I had never intended to give a lot of thought to.

If they wanted to erect a statue to honour Richard Preston, there's a little park down by the Westin Nova Scotian that has space for a statue... but then again he was a religious figure so that aspect would probably offend somebody...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:03 PM

The former fishing supply store building and some of its neighbours at 2858 Agricola Street have been demolished. The site is mid-block (no street corner) but it is across from a three storey mixed-use under construction.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:50 AM

According to the city's active development applications page, Mic Mac has applied for Master Neighbourhood planning (since it is a Future Growth Node under the Centre Plan)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 5:08 AM

Does anyone know going on with the boarded up house at Bayers Rd and Romans Ave?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:24 PM

Some randoms from around town the last few weeks.

The UP Side - Downtown Dartmouth

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

New Lion's Head Tavern (Robie & Demone)

Agricola & Bilby - Obsolete Records is open on the ground floor. No indication of what will be in the corner unit.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Feb 8, 2020 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 7:24 PM

Does anyone know what happened to B&B Security on Gottingen? There's been a notice on the door since last year about non-payment of rent, no contact, no business licence, locks changed etc. Place seems abandoned. NS Joint stock shows ownership changed in May 2018.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 10:05 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I think I remember seeing a redevelopment for this area....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:04 PM

Banc is the successful bidder for the old St. Pat's site on Quinpool, at just over $37 million. The AllNS story has some conflicting information on timelines. At one point Alex Halef is quoted as "start construction within 10-12 months", but it also says he doesn't want to rush into things, and their Wellington Street project and Robies Street Ultramar project will come first.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I think I remember seeing a redevelopment for this area....
Isn't that this one: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?t=219938?

No updates as of lately, wondering if this one is dead.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post

According to https://www.halifax.ca/media/42691, schedule B site plan, That development and the one right beside it on the empty lot, leaves the locksmithing building untouched.

Last edited by MeEtc; Feb 11, 2020 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post

That development agreement and property was purchased by the adjacent landowner who has an approved development agreement they are seeking to change to include the commercial building. At one point they were asking for a L-shaped building the full length of Gottingen but apparently they have decided to stay with two separate projects.

Halifax Planning - Case 22523 Details

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 10:47 AM

Interesting new church under construction on the Northcliffe site just off Dunbrack/Lacewood:

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 10:47 AM

Queen's Square reclad (in progress):

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:20 PM

Queens Square really doesn't look much different.

That is a building that would need some major exterior changes to change its look.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Queens Square really doesn't look much different.

That is a building that would need some major exterior changes to change its look.
IMHO, a complete teardown would be the only solution that will improve its appearance. That building has looked terrible from day 1.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:19 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Unfortunately, most of the early office towers and apartment buildings did not have good design but were just built to be built without any consideration to looking good... and of course, the view planes in downtown Halifax don't help in this matter. Buildings with distinctive Roofs would be fantastic, but height would have to be sacrificed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth