HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 6:03 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Out of the Forge and Foster building? No idea.
I was referring more to THIS:

I am really hoping that just needs to be cleaned, because if that's salt leeching out of the brick (aka efflorescence) then that's just really bad construction for it to be THAT extensive, esp. considering they are brick panels, and I am not a huge fan of the ikea-type panel construction to begin with, kinda makes it look cheap, esp. compared to the rich brown brick used originally on the connaught, which had no salt leeching problems..

that and the building as a result could have moisture problems where the water isn't draining properly or there was too much moisture during construction, a sign of bad things to come..

http://www.deckerhomeservices.com/wh...lorescence.htm

Last edited by Chronamut; Jul 9, 2017 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 3:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Won't Phase 3 be covering that west wall?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Won't Phase 3 be covering that west wall?
Phase 3 is on the Catharine side I believe.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 7:32 PM
Urban Fanactic

It looks like efflorescence to me. Considering it's starting where the joints meet.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 7:40 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
It looks like efflorescence to me. Considering it's starting where the joints meet.
So the question is, if it is, what's going to be done about it? The new phases aren't going to but up to it - the new phase on the right is going to look straight at it after it's built, and nothing is going to cover up the one on the left as the buildings beside it are remaining..

I don't think I've seen so much efflorescence on a new build.. ever..

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 2:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Facing John Street.

hmm looking at the panels from the side it doesn't even appear to be real brick - its concrete with a brick exterior look? And even here it is looking "chalky"

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
hmm looking at the panels from the side it doesn't even appear to be real brick - its concrete with a brick exterior look? And even here it is looking "chalky"
It's not efflorescence, I can assure you of that. It's confirmed to be a dust build up from the surrounding construction. We're doing another power wash on the exterior soon and will be doing them on a regular basis during the construction of the future phases as well.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:22 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
It's not efflorescence, I can assure you of that. It's confirmed to be a dust build up from the surrounding construction. We're doing another power wash on the exterior soon and will be doing them on a regular basis during the construction of the future phases as well.
awwwesome - thanks for that verification!

one question though.. was there a reason the colour of the panels wasn't kept the same as the original brown of the building? I always thought that a bit odd..

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:50 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

That's what you get when you put so many rules on architects' designs... you get fake brick. Non-designers telling professional-designers what to do.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:04 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
That's what you get when you put so many rules on architects' designs... you get fake brick. Non-designers telling professional-designers what to do.
reminds me of why I got out of the biz to begin with...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Roman concrete buildings are still standing while their brick ones are not, so I think that's a point in support concrete.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:41 PM

Concrete is probably better for sound & insulation than traditional brick. I don't mind the look of panels which have brick or thin brick inlayed into the surface. You can see some examples here:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads....18755/page-33

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads....19732/page-45

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:23 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Roman concrete buildings are still standing while their brick ones are not, so I think that's a point in support concrete.
there is a difference here that everyone should know, between roman concrete and north american concrete.

Roman concrete uses pumice, or volcanic ash, in the construction. It also does not use rebar. As a result the concrete is eternally curing and actually gives it a lot more strength, flexibility, and the ability to breathe. The coliseum is a building that will remain thousands of years from now, whereas ours won't last past 100 or so years.

We don't use pumice or volcanic ash, and we use rebar, thus when air and water gets into the concrete it makes the bars start to rust, and with expansion and contraction the concrete is unable to breathe and thus starts to break off around the rebar, and that is why the best of ours only lasts like 20-50 years.

The parthenon was attempted to be fixed in athens by placing iron joints in that were not coated - the coating originally had prevented them from rusting, so when they rusted they expanded and cracked the blocks. Now they use titanium as the joints as it will not rust. The parthenon used marble in their construction, thus marble does not breathe - the iron in it oxidizes though which is why marble goes from white to ivory colour over time.

Their connectors looked like I shape metal and were placed in between blocks to connect them together.

We could learn a lot from the romans, but instead we just go with what is cheap and easily replaceable.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:00 PM
Hammer'd

Lots of reasons as to why we build things the way we do, mostly driven by capitalism, but I guess thats a topic for another thread. I'll admit I'm not at all a fan of the precast panels that they went with for the RC but on the whole, I still approve of the project. Just getting this dilapidated husk of a building full of bodies again is a huge positive. I'm sure things will look better when all the phases are complete.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:04 PM

I'm excited to see what will happen with phase 3 of the Gore Park renovations. It's been a while since any up to date plans for that block have been circulated. I think the city is targeting a 2018 start? Not sure.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I'm excited to see what will happen with phase 3 of the Gore Park renovations. It's been a while since any up to date plans for that block have been circulated. I think the city is targeting a 2018 start? Not sure.
Info about Gore Park is coming. I can't say when unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 3:09 PM

Anyone have an idea how the rents are going in this building?

I see some have been lowered on kijiji, and that was the same issue people were having at Stinson (when I lived there), this city doesn't have a massive pool of renters willing to pay over 1500/month. Which is something you need if you want to break even on any of this new condos.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Anyone have an idea how the rents are going in this building?

I see some have been lowered on kijiji, and that was the same issue people were having at Stinson (when I lived there), this city doesn't have a massive pool of renters willing to pay over 1500/month. Which is something you need if you want to break even on any of this new condos.
Without getting into actual specifics, I can tell you that of the 143 units in Phase 1, ten were either rented/still on the rental market/on the sales market. Of the ones already rented, all of them have rented for a few hundred more than $1500. These were one bedroom units. The two bedroom units went for far more. I can't get into further specifics though.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:26 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Without getting into actual specifics, I can tell you that of the 143 units in Phase 1, ten were either rented/still on the rental market/on the sales market. Of the ones already rented, all of them have rented for a few hundred more than $1500. These were one bedroom units. The two bedroom units went for far more. I can't get into further specifics though.
lol I pay just over 700 for a 2 bedroom by the escarpment in the east end of the city.. which means these people are paying.. like 4 times what I would be just to be downtown.. crazy...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
lol I pay just over 700 for a 2 bedroom by the escarpment in the east end of the city.. which means these people are paying.. like 4 times what I would be just to be downtown.. crazy...
I've never seen a 2 bedroom for $700 in that area when looking for apartments for my brother. What building is this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton