HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:05 PM
Hammer'd

I kinda agree with them that it would look better closer to the downtown core but at the same time, Durand is already peppered by ugly 20-30 story apartment buildings that went up in the 70s and 80s.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:35 PM

Lamb's Television City aims to bring ‘world-class’ structure to Hamilton

SYDNIA YU
Special to The Globe and Mail

Toronto builder Brad Lamb has expanded his development empire across the country – from Ottawa to Edmonton – but his latest endeavour will bring him closer to home.

In September, Mr. Lamb will launch a $360-million, mixed-use project, Television City, so named for its location on the former CHCH-TV site in downtown Hamilton.

“It’s a great little city and it can be an even greater city, so I sense an opportunity that now is the time for Hamilton,” Mr. Lamb says. “The other sites we have are smaller scale, this is the first big one and it’s also the splashiest.”

For starters, architectsAlliance’s Peter Clewes incorporated a heritage-designated structure into the design of 30- and 40-storey towers housing 618 suites and 11,344 square feet of retail space.

“There isn’t a project like this in Hamilton. We’ve hired one of the best architects working in the world, so the project architecturally, would be at home in London, New York, Paris, Toronto and Hamilton,” Mr. Lamb says.

“It’s a world-class structure and facility, which there aren’t a lot of currently being sold in Hamilton.”

The transformation of this nearly one-acre development at 163 Jackson St., just south of Main Street, will coincide with those taking place nearby. Cultural and culinary attractions are quickly popping up amidst established amenities, such as the Art Gallery of Hamilton, waterfront parks, highways and GO bus and train stations.

“Hamilton is in the midst of a cultural renaissance, making it one of Canada’s most exciting cities,” Mr. Lamb says. “Its growth represents tremendous opportunity for residents, entrepreneurs and investors.”

The stone mansion currently on the site – built circa 1850 – is bound to be a coveted new spot, complete with a display of vintage televisions as a nod to the broadcast studio that operated there for six decades.

“We’re going to do right by that building and bring it back, so it has a great life ahead of it,” Mr. Lamb says. “It could be a fantastic headquarters for a successful, mid-sized financial institution, office space or maybe my headquarters for Hamilton.”

Connected to the historic structure will be a glass addition for more commercial space. “We’re putting in some significant retail where there should be all the things people need in day-to-day in their life, like a small food store, dry cleaner or perhaps a dental office,” Mr. Lamb adds.

Residents will also be granted exclusive access to a high-tech centre, clubhouse, gym and outdoor infinity pool, plus a kids’ play centre, pet wash station and roughly 1,000-square-foot dog run.

“I have a young daughter and it’s very important to have your kid socialize and meet other kids, but in a high-rise environment, they don’t always get an opportunity to,” Mr. Lamb says. “So, these are all things that are taken for granted and not often offered.”

U31 will lavishly appoint studios to three-bedroom plans – which are named after television stars – with minimum nine-foot concrete ceilings, engineered wood floors, European-style kitchen cabinetry and double-thick stone counters.

“They’re all amazing plans, among the best we’ve ever done, and all the units have long, large balconies with barbecue plug-ins,” Mr. Lamb notes.

Occupancy is slated for August, 2021

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:35 PM

August 2021. Still quite a ways off

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:34 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:57 PM

wow. impressive

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 6:35 PM

Last edited by davidcappi; Sep 1, 2017 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Stunning!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 1:17 AM
Ham-burgher

Those are gorgeous. Gorgeous.

Anyone else hoping Lamb purchases the site of the failed Connolly, and follows through with something amazing?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:40 PM

To me, they look ok. Nothing really special other than the height.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 1:48 PM

Hmm. You can see how out of proportion they are in the rendering looking south. Not sure that's such a bad thing since Durand is already such a mess of disproportionate buildings, but that's just a kind of 'throwing bad money after bad' argument. I lived in a few houses in Durand with those 16 story apartments next to it, and it is definitely jarring. There are other ways to intensify. Durand is already the most dense neighbourhood in the city, and each one of these buildings appear to be denser than anything, by far, that surrounds it. On the other hand, you're only two blocks away from Darko's projects which are a similar scale. So I'm torn, if I own a freehold anywhere in Durand east of Queen or north of Duke I don't like it, but what is that, 50 houses, 200 people? That may not be enough to offset the 618 units these will create.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:45 PM

I live south of this in Charlton and it will eat up a good chunk of my balcony view, but I'm not too concerned about it. I don't see how lamb can decrease the unit count without pushing the prices in this building to extremes. I'm happy he is offering smaller units staring around 250k

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:49 PM

Huge billboards going up on site.

Last edited by davidcappi; Sep 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:51 PM

I say just build it without the fanfare - Darko has and continues to do the same.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:12 PM

There are three upcoming sales events scheduled in September / October. 99% sure the old house is being renovated right now into a sales centre. I hope there's a model!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 12:39 AM

So would that 369 sqft studio be $250k?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 3:19 AM

Quote:
So would that 369 sqft studio be $250k?
Yeah and it will likely make an awesome rental apartment for someone one day

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 11:49 AM

I dunno. That's very, very small.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 2:48 PM
BANNED

A nod back to the 60s. I think they are classic! Hamilton's skyline will look amazing with these, plus the other numerous towers being built/proposed.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 8:32 PM

I think these will make an impressive impact on the skyline and a huge impact on the amount of young professionals and people with disposable income needed to pump some money into downtown Hamilton .... people who want to have a suburban neighbourhood should move to the suburbs

also - i really hope the pinnacles are lit up to really stand out !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton